Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 AM   #1

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Wondering if any of you have had this surgery and how long was it before you could ride again? Tired of the night pain and numb feelings when riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

When I first started getting the numbing feeling in my hands, I mentioned it to the Chiropractor I was seeing for my back. He did some pressure points on me and I haven't had any problems since. That was about 15 years ago. If you are as advanced as you say, it might not work for you. But it is an option for surgery. Good luck.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 08-26-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

I have worked with air tools for most of my life and the vibration off of the tools created a really bad problem for my hands, arms, and shoulders. Carpal tunnel is only one of the problems created and I've had one wrist operated on twice and the other done once, and the surgery didn't do anything at all. I tried the chiropractor thing, that's a joke, tried all the exercises from a therapist, that's a joke. The only thing that helps me is wrist braces. I have wrist braces with a metal piece in them that runs from the middle of my wrist to the middle of the palm to keep me from bending my wrists in while I sleep. Apparently most people have a tendency to bend their wrists in while they sleep and that damages the tendons as much as anything else; the braces stop you from doing that.

I'm not saying the braces cure carpal tunnel but they do make it manageable for me. After each surgery, I had to wear the braces every night for months because the pain and numbness were worse after surgery. Over the years, the pain and numbness seems to have backed off a bit and I only use the braces occasionally now.

Old 08-26-2010, 08:03 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Carpal Tunnel Surgery

I have not had to have that type surgery and hope I never do. So can't tell you how long it would take. I think it is mostly up to the individual. If you start trying to do things it will take less time in my opinion.

When I broke my left ankle and had surgery on my ankle and left knee I sneaked out and rode during the first week. It hurt like hell trying to walk to the bike but the ride was fine. I used it as much as possible and within a couple of weeks I was almost back to normal. This might not work for everyone but it did for me. I have a high tolerance for pain. My wife on the other hand would have been laid up for months complaining of how bad it hurt. Don't ask me how I know.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-26-2010, 08:49 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

carpel tunnel sucks ........ Should have but don't want to be cut. I ain't got no time to heal.

If you do, get it done and deal with that time to heal. Just make sure who ever does it knows what s/he is doing.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #6

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

If you guys are looking for a Chiropractor, I think there's one in San Diego some of the guys here may recommend. :)

Old 08-26-2010, 02:53 PM   #7

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Iwas just talking to my neighbour last night who told me that he is selling his bike because his carpal tunnel proplem.
He says its so bad after about ten miles he has no feeling at all in his hands. Its a shame when something stops you from doing what you love to do.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #8

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

I am having the same problem with hands going numb on handlebars. Installed a Brakeaway throttle lock and wear Qwi nerve protection motorcycle gloves. I've gotten to the point that it is interrupting my sleep even while wearing the splints. Going to have surgery on both hands. Probably won't be able to ride for a month. Not selling my 2008 Nomad as long as I have two arms and hands! That's why there are scenic overlooks, to give my hands a break!

Old 08-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #9

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

You're looking at 4-6 weeks after surgery, but many carpal tunnel surgeries are done when that really isn't the problem. Make sure before you have the surgery. I know that sometimes while I'm riding, i have numbness that resembles carpal tunnel symptoms, and changing the position of my head/neck solves it immediately. I'm sure that you have explored a lot of options, but I have seen a lot of patients that have had surgery on their wrist, then the elbow, to the shoulder and the problem was in the neck all along. Go to mckenziemdt.org and follow the links to find one of the credentialed therapists in your area and give that a shot before surgery. They specialize in mechanical diagnosis and treatment of the spine. Just my opinion.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:09 PM   #10
Advanced Member

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

My GF got it done on March 30Th, 2010 and was riding her new 1300vtx on may 15Th, 2010. She's wondering why she waited so long to get it done (6+ Years0.
Get a good surgeon that knows what he's doing and the thing will be done and over with~

Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #11

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Two years ago I was told I needed surgery but the braces would delay it a few months if I wore them at night. So instead I wore them 24/7 for two weeks, then just at night for three months. The problem has been 90% reduced. No cp surgery needed......yet. :)

Old 08-26-2010, 09:22 PM   #12

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Any good doctor is probably want nerve conduction studies done before opting for surgery. Alot of insurance companies insist on it before agreeing to approve surgery. It's just low amperage pulses sent into the upper arm and they measure the duration and strength of the signal received at the fingers. If your problem really is carpal tunnel, this will tell the story. I had my surgery on both hands in 2006. 3 months recovery before returning to full clearance at work as an HVAC installer. Before the surgery I couldn't feel the clutch or front brake levers at all. Anything more than a 15 min. ride was hell. Surgery was well worth it.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #13

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Had one hand done in 1990 and the other in 1997. Big difference in technique between the two for sure. The first one left a huge scar. The second on only about a half inch incision. I'm sure it's even more advanced now.
For me, my hands are better off from having the surgery, but not as good as they were before the injury. However, mine had some additional damage besides the repetitive motion injury.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 08-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #14

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

My suggestion is not to have both hands done at the same time. You need one good hand to do things while the other is recovering. I had both mine done, one at a time, in 2003, and I was so glad I did. I have noticed lately that my right hand can bother me a little if I don't wear my cushion gloves. Can't ride a bicycle that you have to lean on your hands. Anywany, probably at least 30-45 days to heal.

Old 02-01-2011, 10:49 PM   #15

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Just a note to let you all know, I had both wrists done. One in Oct. and the other in Nov. It was instant relief and I can now sleep. Incision locations still a little sensitive when I get up out of a chair. The great news is that I can ride the Nomad without my hands going numb after twenty minutes. Rode two hundred miles the other day with no hand problems at all. Should have done this sooner!