Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-05-2007, 11:15 PM   #16

BEST GAS BRAND!

I buy gas at any ol' gas station that is closest to the point where I am about to run out of gas. It doesn't matter. My bike doesn't ping, but it WILL run out of gas.
BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #17

BEST GAS BRAND!

Most large, name brands of gas are going to be o.k. It's the octane thats the ticket. Up here in central Alberta I found a place that gives me 94 Octane, WOW does she run and sound sweet with that juice in her veins.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:00 AM   #18

BEST GAS BRAND!

Quote:
Remember boys all gas is the same!

<marquee></marquee>

Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM   #19
Top Contributor

BEST GAS BRAND!

Nico: You believe all Chevron has is 87 and 89 and whats in the hi-test tank is only 89 like Wolfman said he was told? i find this hard to believe Chevron or anybody could get away will thiefery

Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM   #20
Advanced Member

BEST GAS BRAND!

Quote:
the cheapest gas is the best brand.

A friend of mine got talking to the tank driver for chevron as he was filling up and the trucker told him never to buy premium at chevron. He said the mid grade and the premium are the exact same thing since it is a minumum octane rating. If you buy the premuim you are just paying more for the same stuff you would get if you paid for the mid grade. He said they only haul deisel, regular and premium and the premium goes in the midgrade and premium under ground tank. Don't know if he's full of crap but this is what he told me :-/
Wolfman,
If that were backed up with fact,that is some interesting stuff. I wonder where we could find info on that? Maybe a consumer advocates group? or ??? Anyway, for now I guess the 10 cents per gallon difference b/t mid-grade and the supreme I'll keep paying. With a 5-gallon tank that's only 50 cents per tank, so I can live with that for now.

Interesting enough to raise an eyebrow though. If you get more concrete evidence, please share...

Best,
Daryl

PS - FWIW, I'll use whatever brand's available; just seems like Chevron and Shell are the most common gas stations around my area. But when the need becomes urgent, any brand will do !!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #21

BEST GAS BRAND!

I don't think its so much as them selling 89 and ripping us off as it is them selling 91 at a lower price and marketing it as 89 to stay competitive. I'm going to look into it.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:28 AM   #22

BEST GAS BRAND!

I think its wierd that when gas was 1$ per gallon it was 10 cents difference between the grades and now that gas is three times as much its still 10 cents difference between the grade. You would think it would be 30 cents difference.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:39 AM   #23

BEST GAS BRAND!

F_ _ _ _ ing oil companies......nothing but thieves. They cry wolf all year long and then the earnings are published and you learn they made record profits!!!! They suck!! I don't understand why the govenment doesn't put a halt to it. Oh yeh I forgot......the politicians either own or are owned by the oil companies.
Regular gas around here is over $3 a gallon now.....for 87. 91 is about $3.20

Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM   #24
Top Contributor

BEST GAS BRAND!

Chevron 93 here in central TX is about $3.15, I just filled her up. I ran a tank of texaco 93 last fill up and it ran like crap. I always run Chevron so Im back

Old 11-06-2007, 10:22 AM   #25
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
BEST GAS BRAND!

Consumerism drives all prices. Drive less, demand less = lower prices. When I watch the news at least here in Cali and the reporter asks people at the pump filling there tanks how they feel about the high prices and I hear the same uneducated answers across the board. "I don't like the high prices, but what are we going to do?"

How about driving less and/or consolidating your errands so you shop on the way home from work or plan your driving differently you idiots! I have no trouble planning around the higher prices. I ride my Nomad more (no brainer) shop for groceries friday after the work week. don't take my truck out for a "drive" on the weekends if I have not much to do. Stay home with good friends and bar-b-que or hang out back and chill.

When gas goes up 30%, I drive 30% less. period...Consumerism. Works.......You don't have to drive as much as you think.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-06-2007, 10:53 AM   #26
Mega-Contributor

BEST GAS BRAND!

Quote:
the cheapest gas is the best brand.

A friend of mine got talking to the tank driver for chevron as he was filling up and the trucker told him never to buy premium at chevron. He said the mid grade and the premium are the exact same thing since it is a minumum octane rating. If you buy the premuim you are just paying more for the same stuff you would get if you paid for the mid grade. He said they only haul deisel, regular and premium and the premium goes in the midgrade and premium under ground tank. Don't know if he's full of crap but this is what he told me :-/
Wow. that sounds like consumer fraud to me...
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-06-2007, 11:16 AM   #27
Top Contributor

BEST GAS BRAND!

BD, I agree with you completely about consumerism and controlling how much we drive. It doesn't help though when you look around and continue to see behemoth SUVs and pickups everywhere. These gas-guzzling machines take anywhere from $80-$100 to fill up and they're being used by people going to the mall or being driven to show off to others how little they care about the money they are burning.

At the heart of the issue is changing the mindset of the American public that bigger is not always better and that you are not impressing anyone by spending $100 to fill up your behemoth. I understand those guys who use their trucks for work, that's not my issue. My problem is that little lady driving her big SUV because she wanted something "big and safe" but then complains about the price of gas. My issue is that guy driving the biggest vihicle he can buy with a jacked up suspension and huge rims, getting 6 miles to the gallon just so he can show off to his friends.

Until the demand for these monsters declines enough that auto manufacturers begin focusing on fuel efficient vehicles again and until the public stops buying behemoths, the oil companies are going to roll in our cash.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 11-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #28

BEST GAS BRAND!

Quote:
author=dogdoc board=general thread=1194304551 post=1194358430]Nico: You believe all Chevron has is 87 and 89 and whats in the hi-test tank is only 89 like Wolfman said he was told? i find this hard to believe Chevron or anybody could get away will thiefery

Hard to believe an oli company could get away with thiefery?? Hmmm.... lemme think about that one... LOL

Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #29

BEST GAS BRAND!

I have a friend that works for Chevron and he says that trucks that go out to a Chevron station gets a Techtron additive that the other trucks don't get even though it's the same gas...they don't get that same additive.

I like Chevron, but also use 76.

Old 11-06-2007, 01:56 PM   #30
Top Contributor

BEST GAS BRAND!

<marquee><marquee>I LIKE THESE GUYS!!!!!</marquee></marquee>

Quote:
Consumerism drives all prices. Drive less, demand less = lower prices. When I watch the news at least here in Cali and the reporter asks people at the pump filling there tanks how they feel about the high prices and I hear the same uneducated answers across the board. "I don't like the high prices, but what are we going to do?"

How about driving less and/or consolidating your errands so you shop on the way home from work or plan your driving differently you idiots! I have no trouble planning around the higher prices. I ride my Nomad more (no brainer) shop for groceries friday after the work week. don't take my truck out for a "drive" on the weekends if I have not much to do. Stay home with good friends and bar-b-que or hang out back and chill.

When gas goes up 30%, I drive 30% less. period...Consumerism. Works.......You don't have to drive as much as you think.

Quote:
BD, I agree with you completely about consumerism and controlling how much we drive. It doesn't help though when you look around and continue to see behemoth SUVs and pickups everywhere. These gas-guzzling machines take anywhere from $80-$100 to fill up and they're being used by people going to the mall or being driven to show off to others how little they care about the money they are burning.

At the heart of the issue is changing the mindset of the American public that bigger is not always better and that you are not impressing anyone by spending $100 to fill up your behemoth. I understand those guys who use their trucks for work, that's not my issue. My problem is that little lady driving her big SUV because she wanted something "big and safe" but then complains about the price of gas. My issue is that guy driving the biggest vihicle he can buy with a jacked up suspension and huge rims, getting 6 miles to the gallon just so he can show off to his friends.

Until the demand for these monsters declines enough that auto manufacturers begin focusing on fuel efficient vehicles again and until the public stops buying behemoths, the oil companies are going to roll in our cash.

Ok, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC