Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
While wind chill is over used by the press these days to sensationalize it is a real thing and not just bare skin is effected. It's all about heat loss. Even well dressed you lose body heat through your winter parka, no wind that heat loss is slower and actually radiates off you helping to keep the air close around you warmer than the real outside temperature. Add wind and that same warm air is blown away making you lose heat at a faster rate af it was actually colder out.
So if you dress warm enough for the conditions it still has no effect on you.
Heated building suffer the same fate. Wind blows that envelope of warm air from heat loss away and your furnanace will work harder as if the temperature was colder than it is.
So if you keep your thermostat set at 70 your home will stay at 70 but you will use a little more fuel. Not much of a threat to my health
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-06-2014, 12:11 PM   #32
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
All this talk about cold......... I'm taking a ride this weekend to warm up!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #33

At 7:00 am it was -4 here. Could be worse. We seldom have wind here when it's below zero.
VBA #1976
Bancroft,Idaho
2012 Electa Glide Classic
2003 Nomad FI(Past)

Old 01-06-2014, 01:00 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I think I speak for all ,..... well most of us when I say Bite Me !

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 01-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #35
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post

I think I speak for all ,..... well most of us when I say Bite Me !
I think that Southern California stays warm because of all the hot air BD puts out.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #36

What ever spin you want to put on it Tim. You previously stated that wind chill only had an effect on bare skin, I'm just pointing out not the case you have to take further precautions to combat the effect of cold when coupled with a wind.
If you could bundle up enough to eliminate any heat loss then bad guys could hide from thermal imaging cameras.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-06-2014, 01:49 PM   #37
Top Contributor

TC, trust me. In the land where the wind seldom doesn't blow, you need more clothing when the wind is blowing vs calm winds. Take it the same as when you are riding. Are you ever nice when riding with your gear but sweating your butt off when stopped? Same thing with windchill.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 01-06-2014, 02:05 PM   #38

I know you need to dress warmer when it is cold out.
I have lived in NY State tughill region for 68 years.
What I'm saying is this windchill thing is waayyyyy over rated.
I just got back from my mile and a half walk in 26F weather.
I did not were shorts and sneakers
I dressed accordingly, Vest, jacket, boots, electric gloves, neck gator, balaclava and wool knit hat. No face mask this time.
Wind was blowing occasionally at my guess of 7 to 10 mph.
I did not get cold at all
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-06-2014, 02:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
I agree 100%

If you put a thermometer on a post in the middle of a field with no wind and the actual temp is 35F the thermometer will read 35F.
If you put a thermometer on a post in the middle of a field with a wind blowing 40 MPH the thermometer will still read 35F.
The only thing wind affects is things that it can remove heat from.
Therefore, if you keep your skin covered wind chill means nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan View Post
I'm with TC on this one. Place a cup of water outside in 33F, (0C for you guys North of the border) have the wind blow 30 -40 - even 50 MPH and the water isn't going to freeze. Period. Wind chill calculation were originally developed by the military to set standards for Winter clothing. As TC said, wind chill means nothing to non-exposed skin.

As for weather forecasting, wind chill is just another tool to make weather "exciting & interesting". It's right up there with the Heat Index ("feels like temperature"). Just tell me what the "real" temperature is, humidity, if it's windy and if it's going to snow or rain. I'll take it from there. Rant over.

So what the hell is the point from both you. It was -24 degrees when I left for work today.

I would wear something different if there was no wind... BUT there WAS wind at around 25 mph.

Neither of you can tell me that is the same temp no matter what. You have to dress according to the wind, BECAUSE it causes faster heat loss.

So it is BS not to worry about wind-chill. It IS a valid number to give one an indication of heat loss.

So you guys can wear your swim-suits and bark at how there is no value in wind-chill numbers... I, on the other hand, will be dressing considerably warmer when the wind chill is -50 degrees.

So much for my rant. You guys stay warm...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-06-2014, 02:39 PM   #40
Sr. Contributor

It's all about sensationalism. If you had no thermometer you would say its fucking cold out I better dress accordingly. If you had a thermometer it would just confirm it's fucking cold and it would be the actual temperature . If the wind is blowing too, you'd say this really sucks. Me, I'd stay inside and have some scotch.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 01-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
So what the hell is the point from both you. It was -24 degrees when I left for work today.

I would wear something different if there was no wind... BUT there WAS wind at around 25 mph.

Neither of you can tell me that is the same temp no matter what. You have to dress according to the wind, BECAUSE it causes faster heat loss.

So it is BS not to worry about wind-chill. It IS a valid number to give one an indication of heat loss.

So you guys can wear your swim-suits and bark at how there is no value in wind-chill numbers... I, on the other hand, will be dressing considerably warmer when the wind chill is -50 degrees.

So much for my rant. You guys stay warm...
Greg,

Just say'in, tell me it's -24F and the winds blowing 20 MPH. I will take the measures needed to endure it. Telling me the wind chill is a zillion degrees below 0F is just sensationalism.

For instance -24F combined with a 20 MPH wind is -55F in windchill speak. I've been in -52F (real Temp. In Cable, WI) and -31 (real Temp. in Roscoe, Il.) and in neither case was the wind blowing. Other than being damn cold the only difference between the two days that I remember is in Cable, WI my car seat was frozen. Yes, it was like sitting on a rock. The engine did start but made some pretty ugly sounds for a couple minutes.

The calculation for wind chill is 35.74+0.6215T-35.75(V^0.16)+0.4275T(V^0.16) T= Air Temp. V = Wind Speed
In reality this is just a metric to gauge when skin freezes. It has nothing to do with temperature unless you're trying to make weather sound interesting and exciting.

All in all I feel for all of you enduring sub-zero temps with arctic winds. Pray for an early Spring.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 01-06-2014, 03:21 PM   #42

I'm gonna be wrapped up so tightly I'll only have 30% range of motion. Haha.

Whose still out driving in this weather? Crazy

Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin City Stan View Post
Greg,

Just say'in, tell me it's -24F and the winds blowing 20 MPH. I will take the measures needed to endure it. Telling me the wind chill is a zillion degrees below 0F is just sensationalism.

For instance -24F combined with a 20 MPH wind is -55F in windchill speak. I've been in -52F (real Temp. In Cable, WI) and -31 (real Temp. in Roscoe, Il.) and in neither case was the wind blowing. Other than being damn cold the only difference between the two days that I remember is in Cable, WI my car seat was frozen. Yes, it was like sitting on a rock. The engine did start but made some pretty ugly sounds for a couple minutes.

The calculation for wind chill is 35.74+0.6215T-35.75(V^0.16)+0.4275T(V^0.16) T= Air Temp. V = Wind Speed
In reality this is just a metric to gauge when skin freezes. It has nothing to do with temperature unless you're trying to make weather sound interesting and exciting.

All in all I feel for all of you enduring sub-zero temps with arctic winds. Pray for an early Spring.

For me, I pay attention to it. I have lived all my life in the snow-belt and have grown accustomed to knowing what various wind chills feel like when given the temp and wind data. Let's not forget humidity plays a part also. After 58 years of it... I knew just about exactly what I was facing when I went outside this morning.

But for the couple of you that believe it doesn't matter, then you can just do whatever it is you have always done.

Sorry... next time I won't try to help some people... Geez...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-06-2014, 07:48 PM   #44

Who sent all that damn cold weather south...? Its Florida for heaven sake, anything under 50^f is cold,,, never mind the almost 20 degrees there saying I'm going to wake up to. Oh well will be back to 70 degrees by the weekend. Good thing I work indoors in a heated office.
power outlet
ipod adapter
daggertude sissybar with custom mount
kuryakyn 3" offset iso pegs
12.5 mini apes
HardDrive skull mirrors
Avon grips with throttle mod
core moto ss brake lines

Old 01-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullster View Post
Who sent all that damn cold weather south...? Its Florida for heaven sake, anything under 50^f is cold,,, never mind the almost 20 degrees there saying I'm going to wake up to. Oh well will be back to 70 degrees by the weekend. Good thing I work indoors in a heated office.
Just don't mention wind-chill or heat-index in any of your posts, because you'll catch hell for it...

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417