Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #1

Took delivery and my first 25 miles

Hi All,
Well I picked up my new bike today. I have to say this is a magnificent beast! I already love it. I am definitely going to need some risers though. I had my Suzuki C50 dialed in to my size with a Mustang seat and risers, and I think I'll need the same here.

As happy as I was with the sales experience, I was not pleased with the prep of the bike before I picked it up. I felt like I bought a bit of a do-it-yourself kit. First off there was only one bar showing on the fuel gauge and light was on. Had to stop on the way home to fill it up. I'm pretty sure what little they did put in there was not the high octane. Next the left mirror arm was turned in way out of adjustment, and useless the whole way home. Asked the guy if the turn signals were self cancelling, and he didn't know. Asked if they sold an air pump for the shocks - didn't know. Asked where to put air in the shocks - didn't know. The heel shifter was flush with the floorboard and useless to shift with. I had to take it off and reposition it myself when I got home. While I was down there taking off the shifter, I noticed what I think is a choke knob attached to a spark plug wire with a rubber band. I think it goes to a bracket in the frame, so I attached it there. Is that even needed on a FI bike? Next I had to adjust the handlebars up to level because I felt like I was leaning over the gas tank like a sportbike rider.

After I got everything adjusted, I went out again to get the feel of it and it really is such a nice bike. I have never felt so comfortable at highway speeds before. And even as new as it is, it feels more stable in corners that the previous bike. I am looking foward to many happy miles.

I am going to settle in and read the manual now. Are there some more things I need to check on tomorow to make sure everything is good to go?

Thanks,
John

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #2

Congrats on the new bike. Nothing like the new bike smell
Lots of dealers miss the stuff you mentioned. I had to put gas in mine on the way home also. I told the dealer that the Yamaha dealer filled my tank when I bought my silverado. He said, this isn't the Yamaha store. ::)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 05-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #3

Welcome! I ran out of gas 2 blocks away from the dealer on my ride home. The knob with the choke symbol opens the throttle slightly and is supposed to help with cold starts but you don't really need to use it. You got it in the right spot.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 PM   #4

As with the air in the shocks I never put any in. I ride on number 2 solo and number 4 with my wife on. Everyone will tell you something different as to how much air to use. The only right answer is try it out and see what you like.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:13 PM   #5

Welcome from Arizona. My experience was about as perfect as anyone can get. The guys went over my bike with a fine tooth comb. Everything was adjusted like I had done it myself, and it was definitely done right. I haven't moved a thing since I got it. The tank wasn't quite full, but close enough. Hope you enjoy your Nomad as much as I have enjoyed mine the last five months.
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-09-2008, 11:19 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new bike John! Hopefully after a few minor adjustments that you have made the bike will give you many years of enjoyment. Now you can spend piles of cash adding stuff to it.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-09-2008, 11:25 PM   #7

From what I hear it's common for the dealer to miss attaching the high idle knob. Mine was attached, however I found that virtually every bolt my dealer had to install was over torqued. Some were actually so tight they stripped the threads when I tried to remove them. Also the handlebars were crooked, and the shifters were mispositioned. They forgot to put the rubber grommets on the front brake line guides, but they did fill the fuel. That was 2003, so gas was only $2. Nowdays you're lucky if they put $2 worth in the tank.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:26 PM   #8

Congrads on the new Nad, sorry your maden ride wasn't what it should've been. I couldn't have asked for a better buying experence than I had, and like markg, everything was set perfect and with a full tank of 93 octane. From what you said, you might better check all your fluids, oil, final drive oil and your coolant level before heading out again, ride safe and enjoy that fabulous machine!

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum from eastern Nebraska.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #10

Yep - the dealer missed the high idle thing, another dealer had the bike several times for oil changes etc and he missed it for over a year. I finally got out there found it and put it where it was suppose to be all along!
I have had no major troubles out of the bike. You are gonna love it. Congratulations!!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 04:43 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Congratulations. You would think the dealer would take pains to ensure your initial experience was a pleasant one. Sounds like your bike was set up by a kid more interested in sportbikes and didn't understand how a heel-toe shifter works. There really is no excuse though for it being poorly set up. Fortunately, you bought a great bike and the engineering built into it will compensate for the ineptness of the set up.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:00 AM   #12

Congrats SuperDuty...
Where are you located?
When I picked up my new bike last year I sat on it and went over everything with a service tech. Made most of the adjustments before I drove off their lot. Just went to a mustang seat myself and I enjoy the difference.
Welcome to the forum from Florida. Great bunch of people here and ask away if you have any questions about your Nomad. Great machinery that will give you hours of riding pleasure.
Ride safe..
Joe

Old 05-10-2008, 06:01 AM   #13
Top Contributor

John,
Todays a new day and those thoughts are all behind you. You have the bike adjusted to you now so enjoy the weekend with your new friend brother.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:31 AM   #14

WELCOME from Maine.. SOUNDS like the Prep guys dropped the ball.I would have made them do it right,,or at least Bust Their chops about it,, YOU did PAY extra $$$ to have it done right with the Prep Charge!!! THEY should at least give you a better discount on goodies if not a credit on what you spent on Prepping,,,,Rich

Old 05-10-2008, 06:41 AM   #15
Top Contributor

I forget, is the bike new? If it is they should have set it up for you but it also sounds like you have it where you want it now with your own mechanical abilities John.
Even people need to be tweaked at times. Look what wimmen try to do to us and they're more expensive than bikes. ???