Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-11-2009, 03:22 PM   #1

Texting while driving

If I have a pet peeve, it is texting while driving. Kim and I went for a drive Friday, her on her V-Star 650 and me on my Nomad. She was passing on the left lane of a four lane road and was just past the blind spot when this woman just started to drift into our lane. Kim handled herself perfectly, accelerated, and no harm no foul. I figured the woman just didn't see her and she never did change lanes as I had though she was going to do. Kim was far enough ahead so I began to pass in the same fashion and I will be damned if this woman did the same thing to me. I got right next to her door and noticed to my surprise that she wasn't changing lanes, she was TEXTING! I was pissed! (Sorry for the language). And I can tell you THANK GOD FOR STEBEL. I laid on that horn and yelled so loud I almost spit my teeth out "GET OFF THE F@^#% PHONE!" She had the nerve to flip me off. Oh I was livid. We got to a stop light, I got off my bike and just stood there, at her door with the look of a killer on my face. She never took one look at me. I never said a word but I think she may have peed a little bit to see this 6'3" biker, in colors, standing about to rip her door off. Now I would never do a thing to hurt a fly, but I have come close. I want to find a shirt that says "Hang up the phone and drive".

Oklahoma is just now running a law through that will prohibit people from texting while driving. I think they should allow John Q motorcycle rider to patrol the streets and hand out the tickets. In my opinion, it is one of the most dangerous things a motorist can do to a cyclist.

The motorcycle riding community has no recourse whatsoever against this type of activity and I think that is very wrong. There has to be a way that we can formally address this type of situation to prevent someone from getting seriously hurt.

Rant over, but I know I am not alone here, so feel free to chime in.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Texting while driving

9 times out of 10, when I see somebody driving slowly, weaving, or doing almost anything out of the ordinary, they are either on their phone or texting. I guess the other 10% of the time they must be impaired, eating, reading a map, shaving, applying make up, or are just plain stupid.

Every year for the past 3 or 4 years someone in the AZ legislature has proposed a state law making it illegal to text while driving and/or using a cell phone while driving without a hands-free device. Every year, the bill fails to make it out of committee. I wonder why?

I also yell at drivers to GET OFF THE F!@#ING PHONE"! I have used my Stebel horn a couple of times and have startled the mobile yakker such that they have dropped their phones. If I ever get hit by someone while texting, they better hope they kill me - that's all I'm going to say.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-11-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

Texting while driving

Don,

Couldn't agree more...unless of course I am the one texting.

I have seen some pretty stupid texters do some pretty stupid things of late....I am not one for more government regulation but I can't think of a better way.

Glad it wasn't worse.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 08-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #4

Texting while driving

I have run into the same thing all over in my travels. It is becoming downright dangerous because of so many doing it.
Just an hour ago while coming home from work an woman in a Mustang was doing the same thing.
Here in Ontario they have passed a law that prohibits cell phones, Ipods, gps units and any other hand held device from being used while driving. This takes effect here in October, I can hardly wait. I have noticed in my experience that it is mostly women that cant seem to breathe anymore without a phone in there hands. Once this takes effect only hands free devices will be allowed to be used in vehicles.
A couple months ago a girl was killed while texting and crossing the street, I guess she found out just how dangerous it can be.
Even the school were I work, you can hardly walk down the hall without them banging into you because of the lack of attention, because they are so involved with there phones.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #5

Texting while driving

I honk at them, and when I'm not too pissed off, my hand signal of choice is holding my hand to the side of my helmet like a phone, then making a thumbs down motion.

When I'm pissed, I've got a different one.

I always wonder what the conversation is like when I honk. Other person, "What was that?" Phone holder, "I don't know, they weren't honking at me."

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-11-2009, 04:05 PM   #6

Texting while driving

Add reading a magazine to the list.

Washington State already has the hands free law with a hefty fine. Daughter has a tendency to call while on her way home on her bluetooth. She's a better multitasker than me. I usually pull over or call back if I'm in traffic, law or no law.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 08-11-2009, 04:31 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Texting while driving

I should add that texting while driving IS illegal in the city of Phoenix. Not in the surrounding suburbs, though.

I've yet to hear of anyone getting cited for texting in Phoenix.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 08-11-2009, 04:53 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Texting while driving

Can't wait til they outlaw it here. In my opinion, texting or dialing a cell phone while driving will probably kill more people than alcohol will. Some of them are oblivious to the rest of the public when they are doing this, like they are in a zone, almost zombie-like, in another world, so to speak. And they are a danger to everyone. You've heard the expression "you can't do two things at once", well some really can't. Jamie

Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #9

Texting while driving

THey just outlawed it here in VA, but unfortunately it is only a secondary violation. But if they really want to give tickets they can find something else then give you the texting ticket.

We have the click it or ticket here like most states and I got pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt, about three weeks ago. He actually pulled me for not signalling even though I was turning right in a right turn on lane. He didnt care about that. He told me he wanted to give me the seatbelt ticket.

Once I explained about my wreck and the shoulder surger, he sent me on my way. He sim[ply warned to remember and get back in the habit once the shoulder healed.

Dan probably would have gotten the ticket. HAHA :)

Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Texting while driving

Just because we have the technology to be able to communicate from anywhere, doesn't mean it's necessarily a good idea to do it. I'm so tired of listening to idiots blather on their cell phones in public places. I'm sure we've all been in line at the store, waiting for some bonehead holding his/her phone with their chin and shoulder, and trying to write a check or use the debit card machine while gabbing about something stupid. That's annoying enough, but they aren't endangering other people. I saw some lady talking on a cell yesterday, waving her hands around like a Turkish peddler...while driving.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #11

Texting while driving

Texting and driving is illegal here in Utah.

Talking on a cell and driving is not illegal. Go figure
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Texting while driving

I don't know if everyone head the media blip on a teen, just walking that was in the act of texting and fell down in a open man hole.. I heard the drop was 6 feet, but she lived.

These people can't walk and chew bubble gum muchless drive and do anything else at all..

Driving a dump truck i got behind a woman coming out of tolls on the interstate I-93. She was holding a cell phone with her left hand, doing something on a leyboard in her lap, and had another device on her right side on the seat that she moved her right hand to.

She was steering with her knees....

We should go back to standard shift... except for maybe handicapped.

My opinion is that no one drives any car with a auto tranny in the first place. You sort of pilot that type and even I do when I am plowing snow. Plowing snow requires 3 hands, but it can be done with a stick with 2, sort of.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-11-2009, 07:56 PM   #13

Texting while driving

Watch out for my wife!

She doesn't text, but just because neither one of us has ever sent a text message, and don't know if I ever will... but she loves to talk on the phone as she drives to work and back.

I won't talk to her, I know that she can't drive worth sh*t when she's not on the phone. I keep telling her that I don't want to hear the screech of brakes and crashing sounds that kill her. I want the authorities to just come notify me, not me hear the whole thing.

She still talks to others since I won't. Watch out for her every morning and evening in Denver and it's suburbs to the south. Silver Lexus, hot looking woman.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

Texting while driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
I don't know if everyone head the media blip on a teen, just walking that was in the act of texting and fell down in a open man hole.. I heard the drop was 6 feet, but she lived.

These people can't walk and chew bubble gum muchless drive and do anything else at all..

Driving a dump truck i got behind a woman coming out of tolls on the interstate I-93. She was holding a cell phone with her left hand, doing something on a leyboard in her lap, and had another device on her right side on the seat that she moved her right hand to.

She was steering with her knees....

We should go back to standard shift... except for maybe handicapped.

My opinion is that no one drives any car with a auto tranny in the first place. You sort of pilot that type and even I do when I am plowing snow. Plowing snow requires 3 hands, but it can be done with a stick with 2, sort of.
Call me lazy, but all of my cars have automatic transmissions. I used to own nothing but 5 speeds, but I just got sick and tired of shifting.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 08-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Texting while driving

I think one of these would get a texter's attention:

http://www.chilhowee.net/getback-whi...01.html#thumbs
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD