Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-06-2008, 05:58 AM   #1

My pipes project.

Disappointed with the selection of exhaust for the nomad, I am looking to try something different with my pipes. I currently have Cobra true duals on my bike. There sound is not bad *yawn* just a little bland. Originally I wanted to pull the baffles and modify them. I saw on Gadet's site that some guy just purchased some Harley slip-ons and built new mounting brackets. So I'm going to give it a shot. I 'm hoping to get a little beefier sound so my bike has some "bagitude". If there's anyone out there who was tried this, I welcome the pointers. By the way, I realized I could just go with the V&H or the Roadhouse, but I was trying to save a few bucks by buying some off ebay. And let's be honest, who wants to have the exact same stuff as everyone else?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
Top Contributor

My pipes project.

good luck

Old 08-06-2008, 05:19 PM   #3

My pipes project.

I actually just tried this myself. I picked up some modified stock mufflers that slash up and have had the baffles modified - supposed to be louder than stock, but not way loud. I've seen them installed on other Nomads, but they all had Vance & Hines headers. Well the Cobra headers aren't as long as the VH and so the Harley mufflers tuck in a bit under the bags. I slid the mufflers on but stopped short of making the bracket because the mounting holes on the muffler actually overlapped the mounting holes on the bike by a little. I think that making one big long slot instead of 4 holes would work to make sure everything lines up. As for the sound, I didn't tighten the clamps, but they were on tight, and I don't think it was that great. I know it won't sound like a Harley, but it wasn't as deep as I wanted - wasn't very loud either, no more than the Cobras probably.
So in short, make sure you buy the longest mufflers you can find - many of the screaming eagles have longer tips and that's what I may try next. If you want to spend more money, many of the aftermarket mufflers are longer and should be louder. I really like the straight cut or slash up look, but I want them to clear the bags.

Check this guy's blog - these are the same mufflers I used, but he has VH headers. http://jimsmotomuses.blogspot.com/

Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 PM   #4

My pipes project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yridehd
Disappointed with the selection of exhaust for the nomad, I am looking to try something different with my pipes. I currently have Cobra true duals on my bike. There sound is not bad *yawn* just a little bland. Originally I wanted to pull the baffles and modify them. I saw on Gadet's site that some guy just purchased some Harley slip-ons and built new mounting brackets. So I'm going to give it a shot. I 'm hoping to get a little beefier sound so my bike has some "bagitude". If there's anyone out there who was tried this, I welcome the pointers. By the way, I realized I could just go with the V&H or the Roadhouse, but I was trying to save a few bucks by buying some off ebay. And let's be honest, who wants to have the exact same stuff as everyone else?
Having sold a Harley just prior to buying my Nad, I too was looking for the Harley sound, or at least something different from the Kaw stock pipes. I installed V&H baggers....which were a little "bland" for me so I took off the baffle packing, wrapped the baffles with aluminum flashing....which made the sound a little lower and a little louder. Still wasn't quite the sound I was after, so last weekend cut about 3" out of the baffles. Since I don't have access to a welder, wrapped the shorter baffles with flashing, clamped tight and attempted to get as straight as possible so I could reinstall.
Pipes are now quite a bit louder, but not nearly as loud as with baffles removed. Sound is much lower.
Think I'm going to like it but need to put some miles on it to decide for sure.

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 08-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #5

My pipes project.

I just scored some screamin' eagle slip ons that are longer and with slash up tips. Based on my rough measurements, they should line up almost perfectly with the bags. Now I just hope they sound decent, because they should look sweet!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-14-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Advanced Member

My pipes project.

I have V & H front pipes and am now using modified 95 FLH touring mufflers - they friggin chirp! Nice low growl but they chirp! I had got a set from the Wrecking yard for free and kept modifing them til I got the sound I wanted - then waitied on e-bay until someone had a set of exact same ones for sale that were new - which I found! Got them for $70 landed here in Canada - performed the exact same mod's to them - they looked perfect - put them on and they Chirp! And I can't get rid of it! As for power and other than the Chirp - beautiful! I am at a loss right now! So it's back to the Drawing Board!

Old 08-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #7

My pipes project.

Thanks for the info guys - I'll keep everyone posted as I too develop some new mufflers. There are some really great ones on ebay right now - I'm going to keep my eyes out for some interesting ones. Sounds like I'll have to get the longest ones I can. I was concerned about that.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 AM   #8
Advanced Member

My pipes project.

Well I pulled the trigger on a set of SuperTrapp Elite SE slip ons for the FLH model. No more chirp! Just a very deep deep growl - not loud ( actually quieter than the modified HD muffler) - torque seems better - has a real nice growl when you roll on it. So far very happy!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:11 AM   #9

My pipes project.

Call around to some HD dealers, The local guy here took a pickup truck full of new takeoffs to the scrapyard a few weeks ago from what I was told.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #10

My pipes project.

I just received some Screamin' Eagle 4" mufflers with slash up tips. Mounted them and they look freaking awesome. Still have to get them on all the way (small leak) and fab the brackets and then I'll post pics.
As for the dealer takeoffs, I called every HD dealer within 100 miles and none of them have any takeoffs laying around, so every region is different I guess...