Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #1

Would it be beneficial?

Just wanting to know if I could expect any benefits from a power commander with a stock setup. I have no modifications done to my 2009 Voyager other than a K&N filter. Stock exhaust, stock airbox, etc. I'd really like to squeeze a few more miles per gallon out of the bike. As of now I'm averaging a little better than 40mpg. I'm really happy with that but would make a few changes if they're beneficial to fuel mileage. I prefer to leave the air intake and exhaust stock. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

40 mpg is pretty good. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. You're not going to do much better on a big heavy bike.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-20-2014, 11:30 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Ditto. It'll never be better than now. If you want a high mileage powerful V twin you'd have to get a different steed.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Advanced Member

I don't believe you will improve your mpg's with any mods, you will only make it go lower. You can mod and get more power but not more mpg's.

Last edited by tonik; 01-21-2014 at 10:45 AM.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
Ditto. It'll never be better than now. If you want a high mileage powerful V twin you'd have to get a different steed.

You mean a moped.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2014, 12:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmesser View Post
Just wanting to know if I could expect any benefits from a power commander with a stock setup. I have no modifications done to my 2009 Voyager other than a K&N filter. Stock exhaust, stock airbox, etc. I'd really like to squeeze a few more miles per gallon out of the bike. As of now I'm averaging a little better than 40mpg. I'm really happy with that but would make a few changes if they're beneficial to fuel mileage. I prefer to leave the air intake and exhaust stock. Any input is appreciated. Thanks
A few SIMPLE recommendations...

if u r using fuel of an octane rating higher than 90, u may get a bit better mpg with 89 octane. You might even try 87 after running 89 for a few tanks of fuel to assess any further increases in mpg or performance. Using the lowest octane fuel that prevents pinging will yield the best mpg and performance. All of my skoots have benefitted from running lower than specified octane, in mpg gains and a bit better throttle response . And it's cheaper too.

A good brand (amsoil, mobil1, motul, etc) m/c specific synthetic oil will yield slightly better mpg also.

Debaffling the stock mufflers will also allow that engine to "exhale" better, improving performance and mpg without increasing the noise too much.

I have also found that in the rpm and throttle position areas where the air/fuel mixture has been compromised, i.e. leaned out to meet the EPA regs can also hurt mpg. A "too lean" a/f mixture will not release all of the fuel's energy thus compromising mpg and performance.

These skoots are mass produced and thru my 37+ years as a m/c technician I have seen so many variables in all areas of performance. We never know what we are gonna get when we buy a skoot and how that skoot is gonna respond to mods we do.

RACNRAY

Old 01-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #7

I do run premium octane fuel in all bikes I have had. I may try some lower octane fuel and see what happens. I also run amsoil 10w-40 synthetic oil. Thx for all the help and like I said I'm happy with the performance as of now just thought I could squeeze a few more mpg out of it. But for an 800+ pound motorcycle I guess 40mpg is good

Old 01-21-2014, 02:01 PM   #8

I have found these 1700 engines are not very efficient. Lots of internal friction and a single spark plug for such a huge bore. Add onto that the weight and actually as much of an influence is the poor aerodynamics. The Voyager/Vaquero front fairing is cobby at best, lotsa surface area and not aerodynamically designed.

If I putt putt around I will see 45-47 mpg but there can't be any redlights or stop n go. Heading into any kind of head or cross wind kills the mpg, as does speeds above 60 mph.

RACNRAY