Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 03-10-2008, 09:23 PM   #16

New helmet

OK guys, I have got a big head.
A 7-3/4 is too small for me, " One size fits all" baseball caps don't fit me. Most xxxl are a little small. I have even thought of going to a " Head shrink" What's a fellow to do?
Seriously, I have always heard that after you wear a helmet a while it will fit better. Since my head won't shrink then I figure that the foam, where it is tight , compresses over time. Therefore why not compress it with something other than my head.
I realize that the compression of rolling a bat on the tight places does reduce the safety a bit, but in order to wear it it has to be comfortable. My biggest problem was at the forehead, where my helmet was creating a red spot ( also a little sore) after a couple hours of riding. I compressed the foam a small amount I doubt 1/16 of an inch and the problem went away. No sore red spot and no headache. However I probably voided the warranty
BTW,
Does a helmet have a guarantee? Maybe kind of like a parachute, if it doesn't work, they give your widow your money back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #17
Top Contributor

New helmet

Quote:
BTW,
Does a helmet have a guarantee? Maybe kind of like a parachute, if it doesn't work, they give your widow your money back.
I would be willing to say no.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM   #18
Mega-Contributor

New helmet

Quote:
OK guys, I have got a big head.
A 7-3/4 is too small for me, " One size fits all" baseball caps don't fit me. Most xxxl are a little small. I have even thought of going to a " Head shrink" What's a fellow to do?
Seriously, I have always heard that after you wear a helmet a while it will fit better. Since my head won't shrink then I figure that the foam, where it is tight , compresses over time. Therefore why not compress it with something other than my head.
I realize that the compression of rolling a bat on the tight places does reduce the safety a bit, but in order to wear it it has to be comfortable. My biggest problem was at the forehead, where my helmet was creating a red spot ( also a little sore) after a couple hours of riding. I compressed the foam a small amount I doubt 1/16 of an inch and the problem went away. No sore red spot and no headache. However I probably voided the warranty
BTW,
That's okay. You have your XXXL helmet and I have my XXXL leather jacket. At least you don't have people saying "I didn't know cows got that big".
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-10-2008, 09:52 PM   #19

New helmet

I usually get , "Pumpkin head"

Old 03-10-2008, 09:58 PM   #20

New helmet

Quote:
[quote:nuw7mb67]I agree Dan, but one should not have the issue if they try it on before buying.
I know some people buy on line. I just bought 2 helmets on line. I ordered a medium for Cindy and waited for it to come in the mail. It fit her but was tight on me. So I ordered a large for me and it fit great. If they didn't I would have returned them.
Yes I could have gone to a dealer and tried one on to get the right fit then bought on line but I think that is taking advantage of the dealer.
I had the same thing happen to me with a Nolan full face helmet. I bought it, tried it on, it fit fine. Took a 300 mile ride and it hurt like the dickens right at my hairline and left a big goose egg. I was out of state so I had to wear it to get home a week later. The goose egg got worse and festered up. Needless to say, the helmet has been hanging in the garage since. I have been wearing a half helmet since. I am interested in finding a modular helmet. The HJC comes highly reccommended and seems to fit.

A year ago, I tried ordering an HJC helmet online. It fit poorly and I ended up selling it and the mushroom head effect made me look like some alien. OTOH, I tried the Bell Drifter on in the store before I bought it and it seemed comfortable. It is comfortable for the first couple hours on a long ride, then it starts to irritate the old forehead something firce. I think it's partially due to the high-speed buffeting. The drifter has a relatively large exposed bottom surface and the updraft from the tank and up my chest hits that surface and the helmet starts to wobble a bit. I think it's the constant movement while riding at high speeds that does it.

The EXO-100 seems to have a deeper fit and envelops more of your head. The flip down visor is cool too. I rode to work this morning and left the house at 06:15, before the sun was up all the way. Normally, I'd put my clear goggles on, today I just flipped the little visor down and even though it's tinted, it's no darker than the tinting on a car windshield. I could read signs, etc just fine. It was in the 40's, but because it's a 1/2 visor, there were no fogging issues.

I'll still ride with no helmet from time to time, especially when it gets hot. When I do wear one, I want it to be comfortable. [/quote:nuw7mb67]

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-11-2008, 09:46 AM   #21

New helmet

Old 03-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #22

New helmet

Kawgirl, did you say something on your post or did you just want to quote cactusjack and me?
If you added anything it didn't get through to my computer is why I ask ???

Nico, unfortunately yours are coming through just fine ::)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-11-2008, 09:55 AM   #23

New helmet

Quote:
Kawgirl, did you say something on your post or did you just want to quote cactusjack and me?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:08 PM   #24

New helmet

Quote:

It's there. I just put it in the wrong place. Here's what I said.

I had the same thing happen to me with a Nolan full face helmet. I bought it, tried it on, it fit fine. Took a 300 mile ride and it hurt like the dickens right at my hairline and left a big goose egg. I was out of state so I had to wear it to get home a week later. The goose egg got worse and festered up. Needless to say, the helmet has been hanging in the garage since. I have been wearing a half helmet since. I am interested in finding a modular helmet. The HJC comes highly reccommended and seems to fit.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 03-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #25

New helmet

Kawgirl,
I have the HJC modular helmet and I think it is a good piece of gear. Not real cheap but still good. BTW, I had to roll it also.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #26

New helmet

Quote:
Kawgirl,
I have the HJC modular helmet and I think it is a good piece of gear. Not real cheap but still good. BTW, I had to roll it also.
I have that same helmet. I use it for cold weather riding. (Rest of the time it's a half helmet.)
I like it! Very comfortable to me.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 03-12-2008, 10:11 PM   #27

New helmet

OK kawgirl, sorry, It seems I wasn't paying attention :-[
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers