Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 08-09-2008, 09:16 PM   #1

can a dummy install a lightbar

I am mechanically inept.!! I did do the baffelectomy with your great instructions. I just got my cobra lightbar and after looking at the instructions and looking at gadgets site and I am wondering if I should try this. I do have a headlight modulator and a hi watt headlight. Any suggestions, thoughts or places where I can find step by step instructions for a real dummy. Thanks for any help. Love this site!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #2

I believe this has to be a personal decision. Either you feel comfortable starting and finishing the project, and feel you have good enough instructions, or you don't.

Personally, IMO, I believe a "dummy" can do anything he/she sets their mind to. It just takes some "dummies" a little longer and a little more effort than others.

Mistakes are learning opportunities.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:24 AM   #3

I know how you feel, I was real anxious about doing the bafflectomy but remember, hard jobs are just a bunch of easy steps bundles all together.
'01 1500FI Nomad, traded 9/12
Also '02 Honda Sabre
Kawanow #826

Old 08-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #4

This dummy did it. I thought Cobra did a great job with the instructions. Cobra is using your old parts, except the turn signal bar. The wiring was easiest of all. I just took it slow.

Bring it over to my place scottmck, we will install it while we drink your beer.

Old 08-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Advanced Member

installed a cobra myself. install instructions pretty good. only gripe is i wish they would have given a lil more wire, so i could route it and hide it better.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2008, 12:42 AM   #6

On hiding/routing the wire, I cut a small hole in the bottom center of the bar. I then cut the stock wires in half, spliced in longer pieces of wire and replaced the original color coded ends and ran the wires THRU the bar and out the center hole. Then up and under the headlight bucket and out of sight. Looks factory. Used heat sink wrap instead of crimp connectors. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf
installed a cobra myself. install instructions pretty good. only gripe is i wish they would have given a lil more wire, so i could route it and hide it better.

Old 08-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mncruiser
I know how you feel, I was real anxious about doing the bafflectomy but remember, hard jobs are just a bunch of easy steps bundles all together.
I like this quote a lot. "Hard jobs are just a bunch of easy steps bundled all together." Nothing I've heard in a while has rung more true. Take what I do for a living: I'm a lowly programmer. I have a fancy title "Lead Software Applications Developer", and lately I'm doing more management tasks, but essentially I'm a programmer. Writing fairly complex software takes time and care, also expertise, but ultimately it comes down to breaking things down into manageable pieces.

I don't know who else here is involved in IT, but I'm sure Trip at least can identify with this. But, you don't have to be an IT person to apply it at all. Everything comes down to single steps. And, mistakes are made when you combine steps. I took more math in college than you can shake a stick at: 4 semesters of calculus, discrete math, abstract algebra, linear programming, statistics, and so on, but I'm terrible at math. I'm the guy who uses ten sheets of notebook paper to do one problem because I'm breaking it down into single steps, and I write each step down. For pete's sake, I'm the guy who missed parties in college because it took me two days to work ten problems.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:53 AM   #8
VBA Founder

If I can do it....certainly you can Scott. Took me several hours, but I got it done.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 09-02-2008, 12:47 PM   #9

Quick question - my lightbar was already installed when I got the bike and electrical issues are not my strong point. The light bar comes on with the ignition and stays on with either the high or low headlight beam - does this mean it's on its own circuit already or wired in with the headlight? I would think it means that it's on its own circuit, but what do I know?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:11 PM   #10

My guess is that it is wired into the options connector in the headlight bucket. Option connectors will not dim out during ignition. There are ways to keep the lights staying off during ignition (for example, a relay powered by one of the headlight wires but you do need to know what you're doing before messing with that).

Suggest if it bothers you, just add a little switch to the handlebar and interrupt the lightbar circuit manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnyroq
Quick question - my lightbar was already installed when I got the bike and electrical issues are not my strong point. The light bar comes on with the ignition and stays on with either the high or low headlight beam - does this mean it's on its own circuit already or wired in with the headlight? I would think it means that it's on its own circuit, but what do I know?

Old 09-02-2008, 01:28 PM   #11

It does have a switch, I was trying to determine how it was wired up because I'm adding 55w lights in place of the stock 30w and hoping the wiring will handle it.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:04 PM   #12

I'm sure it will. 2 x 55 Watts = 110 Watts. On a 12 Volt circuit (which actually is around 13 when running the engine) that translates to roughly 8.5 Amperes. The Aux circuit is fused for 10, meaning the wires will be safe. That is, of course, if the lights are really hooked up to that connector - and again - I'm 99% positive that they are. Open the headlight bucket and report to which wires the light bar is hooked up, and we can give you confirmation that it's the options connector (or not).

Old 09-02-2008, 02:37 PM   #13

I guess I'll open it up tonight and see... thanks.

Old 09-03-2008, 11:54 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to scion0

I just ordered a Cobra lightbar and want to wire it so I can have it on with my brights due to the type of light that I have, so will a relay with switch be my best choice?

Mike
"Scion0"
VBA#: 0097
Former VBA North Central Asst Regional Leader
St Jude Rides Peoria to Memphis Rider
Retired MSgt, USAF (1979 -99)
"Don't sweat the small stuff, and it's all small stuff!"
Current ride: 2012 H-D Ultra FLHTCU (Black)
Past ride: 2007 Black Nomad

Old 09-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #15

Mike, there are several ways to wire lightbars. If I was to install one (and I installed a few), it is a relay and a switch. The relay allows you to draw the power for the LB directly from the battery, thus being certain not to overtax the options connector. The switch is optional, I like to have one so I have control over the lights. I also don't want them on when I am starting the engine, as it places unnecessary burden on the battery. If you're advanced enough, you can avoid that condition by powering the relay through one of the headlight wires, which will be "dead" during ignition and therefore don't need a switch, but the lights will always be on when the bike is running. So in the end, the choice is yours but I surely recommend a relay, switch or not.