Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM   #1

Big Sur and Monterey, CA

My riding season is nearing the end and I cannot help but fantasize riding to Big Sur and chilling out in Monterey, CA.

Anybody done that kind of trip, any hints and tips, dos and don’ts?

Thanks ahead,

E.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-27-2012, 07:45 PM   #2

Although we live in Texas, the wife and I have motorcycled the coastal roads in Ca. 5 times in the last 6 years.

The coastal highways are not a biker challenge. The view is what it is about. Went two years ago to Monterey, and rode a few days. It is beautiful area and plenty of sightseeing available. We rode around a while and then walked a while. There is an aquarium in Monterey and pier with some nice views. I like the Marina area and checking out the boats. Roads are hilly but not twisty. Parking/real estate is a premium around there. Our motel was decent, no frills, and $150 a night.

Pebble Beach area and it's 17 mile scenic drive are off limits to all motorcycles.

Of course you will want to ride Hwy 1 south of Monterey towards LA. Not much to see going North on 1 in that area, except Santa Cruz and its Boardwalk.

Keep your eyes on the road and stop for pictures/views. The coastal views will draw your eyes away from the road. Do not pass on an opportunity for fuel stop.

Personally I prefer the many beaches and activity in southern California area between LA and San Diego. I went to Monterey to tour Fort Ord. In 1970, I did basic training and infantry A.I.T. at Fort Ord before sightseeing in Viet Nam. So I cruised many hours through the now closed Fort. It was a strange feeling seeing the deserted buildings and how much the area had changed.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #3

Thanks for the info Bill. I'm aware of how short the actual Big Sur ride is but when I look at our Road Atlas I gravitate toward that part of California maybe because of the National Geographic article I read or the novel Big Sur by Jack Kerouac.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:44 AM   #4

It is all about what you want to see. All areas have some of the same stuff. Although Carmel is famous for the quaint shops and missions. Monterey and Big Sur have the vistas. Southern Ca has the most beaches, surfing, and piers.

For a motorcycle cycle tour on the coast, we like the part as you leave Monterey South on Hwy 1. The views are breathtaking and you leave the traffic mess behind. There are also spots like this around San Francisco too.

Timing is important too. You can run into a lot of fog, especially in the mornings, in the summer and early fall. You can lose half a day. We usually time our trip for early November to catch the best weather and least fog. Last time, 2011, we stayed in San Juan Capistrano Best Western for about $80 (super nice place). We were minutes from beaches, piers, and harbors which are my favorite hang outs.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #5

Hi Bill,

That's the kind of info I'm looking for, much appreciated. We've been to the Coast a few times and are aware of the fog but we cannot do such a trip in November although it'd be great.

Beaches, piers, and harbors... Add to that meeting locals and having good food, good wine, good music... And do all of that on a motorcycle cycle tour. Wow!

Thanks again.

E.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-28-2012, 02:26 PM   #6

There is a good inland road, Hwy 25,that will take you to the Pinnacles National Monument and Hollister, famous for the movie The Wild Bunch. Don't forget Hearst Castle and Morro Bay, if you're going that far south. A google map search will help you route from the coast to the Pinnacles.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman47 View Post
There is a good inland road, Hwy 25,that will take you to the Pinnacles National Monument and Hollister, famous for the movie The Wild Bunch. Don't forget Hearst Castle and Morro Bay, if you're going that far south. A google map search will help you route from the coast to the Pinnacles.
Thanks, man. I've noted the POIs.