Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-21-2011, 03:10 PM   #1

6 Hours Later and Ready for Spring Ride!

So i recently posted a question about how to fix a stripped out rear diff drain bolt...well fixed that using a 3/8" tap and new bolt, seems to be holding as for the shavings we were worried about i pumped through a few hundred ml's of hypoid gear oil and used grease on the tap and that got a lot of it then blasted out the rear diff with compressed air (thx. for the ideas) it all seemed to do the trick and the bolt isn't leaking~~yet~~and of course changed the fluid
also changed front/rear brake fluid and clutch fluid (didn't realize i had to remove the alternator cover, the left floor board, and the foot controls wew but got it done.
change the motor oil
checked the tire pressure...way low
added some seafoam
checked all the lighting/horn/kill switch
cleaned the k&n air filter and used some carb cleaner of intake
then went for a quick test ride all is well except i am ordering new tires.

did i miss anything?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

This is just me being anal, so don't misinterpret my intent - but why didn't you thread it for a metric bolt? I know, you probably didn't have a metric tap?

I try to keep everything metric because you never know when you may be stranded with nothing but a set of metric wrenches. Like I said, just me being the nitpicky OCD perfectionist here.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #3

good question! i actually have the same mind set as you! BUT i went to lowes, home depot and autozone this a.m. and the next size up that seemed like it would work was the 3/8" no one had a 9mm bolt or tap for that matter it went from 8 to 10mm skipped 9 (which would have been ideal. 10mm looked too big and all the 10mm bolts everyone had the head wouldn't have fit in that small recessed "hole" area. so i was stuck using SAE...i have a couple after market things that are SAE...i don't know why we just don't join the world as americans and go to metric anyways :)

Old 02-21-2011, 06:46 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Bolts and taps at work go from 8 to 10 mm, no 9mm. I dont think there is such a thing.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

You pretty much covered it all, cannot think of anything else but one: Your own fitness to ride after a long break (just assuming it's been a while since winterizing your bike).

Enjoy (I know I will, hopefully in a week or two).

Cheers,

Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay
So i recently posted a question about how to fix a stripped out rear diff drain bolt...well fixed that using a 3/8" tap and new bolt, seems to be holding as for the shavings we were worried about i pumped through a few hundred ml's of hypoid gear oil and used grease on the tap and that got a lot of it then blasted out the rear diff with compressed air (thx. for the ideas) it all seemed to do the trick and the bolt isn't leaking~~yet~~and of course changed the fluid
also changed front/rear brake fluid and clutch fluid (didn't realize i had to remove the alternator cover, the left floor board, and the foot controls wew but got it done.
change the motor oil
checked the tire pressure...way low
added some seafoam
checked all the lighting/horn/kill switch
cleaned the k&n air filter and used some carb cleaner of intake
then went for a quick test ride all is well except i am ordering new tires.

did i miss anything?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider

Seems like you covered most everything. Did you check all your electrical connections and clean off the battery terminals. If you didn't it would be a good thing to do. Might save a problem later on.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 02-21-2011, 08:57 PM   #7

elvis i actually went out for a couple quick rides during the winter just to move things about and i have been riding since i was 9 years old but doesn't mean i know everything at all! so i like to watch a riding video before the season starts and go to a parking lot for a few and put the bike, and me, through the paces. great idea though thanks.

gene, my battery has been on a tender not sure how to check it to see if it is still good, i assume it is its only 3 years old been garaged (not heated) but on a tender. the terminals look fine. good point thanks.

Old 02-21-2011, 09:19 PM   #8

Sounds like you had no problems retapping the old hole, I didn't think you would have any problems.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951