Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 07-22-2008, 10:17 PM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
How I almost died twice in 24 hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
CQ,

I strongly suggest you be tested to determine just to what you are allergic. It probably is iodine. I would also strongly suggest that you make a " survival kit" containing an Epi pen, Benadryl, and a good OTC antacid, such as Pepsid Complete, Zantac, or even Maalox. After you have taken an antacid, and feel like you can lie down again, lay on your left side. It puts the opening to the stomach higher, reducing the reflux factor. I would not eat seafood until you have been tested. Just a few suggestions. Hope they help.
Yep CQ, it's either this or a pablum diet for you. Gotta be safe you know. And it will get you used to Nursing Home food. Glad that you are okay.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
[quote author=bankerfrank board=offnomad thread=5447 post=98791 time=1216744183]CQ,

I strongly suggest you be tested to determine just to what you are allergic. It probably is iodine. I would also strongly suggest that you make a " survival kit" containing an Epi pen, Benadryl, and a good OTC antacid, such as Pepsid Complete, Zantac, or even Maalox. After you have taken an antacid, and feel like you can lie down again, lay on your left side. It puts the opening to the stomach higher, reducing the reflux factor. I would not eat seafood until you have been tested. Just a few suggestions. Hope they help.[/quote

Yep CQ, it's either this or a pablum diet for you. Gotta be safe you know. And it will get you used to Nursing Home food. Glad that you are okay.
You're bad, Idaho! But correct.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Cad, You had more fun than I did in Deadwood, choking on a not so well cooked tater slice. They wanted to gimme a hinnie lick, but I had those dammned broken ribs, so refused.

I thought I was gonna catch up with Wild Bill fer sartin'

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-23-2008, 10:01 AM   #34
Sr. Contributor

And so this add pops up at the top of the page! http://www.refluxremedy.com/

Cadd, you should have posted that night right here and instanly you would have had the answers.....

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #35

I saw that pop-up but I figured if I clicked on it I'd get something stupid like,"WD-40 cures Acid Reflux!"

I saw my doctor today, and they stabbed me for more blood and said not to worry and quit eating so much strange s#!t.

I'm still coughing every now and then and I can still taste those dang Flamin' Fritos a little when I do. Not much though. Just a ghost of a flavor that I never want to experience again as long as I live.

*ooof* ::)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

All I can say is I am glad you did not.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 PM   #37

Well bless your heart Ponch!

Old 07-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #38
Sr. Contributor

I learned to eat flamin hot stuff when I lived in Fla , but stopped eatting that upon reyrn to New England, because pretty much there isn't anything that hot in NE.. suits me.. I sure would hate to be forced giving up shell fish..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 07-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #39

Hell, you'd have to turn in your papers as a card carryin' New Englander!

Old 07-25-2008, 05:49 PM   #40
Top Contributor

got 1 word caddq: benadryl and often. Doc

Old 07-26-2008, 11:58 PM   #41

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
got 1 word caddq: benadryl and often. Doc
That's three words.

CQ, have you gotten any answers from the doctor yet?
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 07-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #42

Not yet, Bud. (Thanks for asking.)

I went Wednesday, they drew three vials of blood, and sent them off to the lab. They told me to avoid seafood, betadine, and anything seriously spicy, and continue to take the loratadine which I take due to pet hair & pollen allergies.

They did not want to give me benadryl or epinephrine until those test come back and possibly more tests.

Man, I wish I was getting a kickback on all these tests.

Old 07-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
This is kinda gross, so if you've got a weak stomach, or were just about to eat dinner (or just finished dinner) you'd probably be happier to read something else right now.

Anyhow, my wife and I went up to stay over night in a lodge in the mountains Saturday. On the way up we stopped to get ice, drinks, and some snacks. I picked up a tiny bag of what turned out to be the snack food from Hell: Flamin' Hot Fritos.

I managed to consume the entire 1.25 oz. bag without any real effort. I ate a bunch of other junk food as well, to no ill effect and several hours later ate a full dinner at the lodge. Let me say that ordinarily I do not have a weak stomach. I've eaten Flamin' Hot Cheetos before and never had any real problem. Not so this time.

At 1:30 AM I woke up to find my sinuses, larynx, and bronchial tubes were on fire. Evidently I'd puked up a tiny quantity of Flamin' Hot Fritos mixed with battery acid, and then inhaled some of it. I dashed for the bathroom and tried to douse it with water and mouthwash, but I was choking on the stuff. I wound up virtually standing on my head trying to cough up this crap, but that made it run farther into my sinuses and it was burning me like crazy. I'd get up and try to blow it out my nose without much success, because when I was upright I couldn't breathe without sucking this stuff farther into my lungs.

After about 2 hours of this I finally choked up enough of it, and blew out enough of it, that I could breathe well enough to return to bed. I was exhausted and still in pain, but it was abating and by about 3:30 I was asleep. Judy had slept through the whole ordeal. When I woke up I was still hurting a little but it had diminished enough that by 9:00 I was able to eat breakfast. I didn't enjoy it, though it was a really great breakfast, but I was able to eat.

Things continued to improve throughout the day, though I did cut our trip short, and by the time we got home I was more or less recovered and almost all of the burning was gone. Somewhere around 6:00 PM I decided to cook dinner.

I sauteed up a couple dozen large shrimp, and I ate 14 of them at dinner. Less than an hour later I started to itch on my hands and then my arms, and then all over. I swelled up all over and broke out in a rash as well. I took an allergy pill and started thinking about the emergency ward.

Shortly after that my tongue started to swell up until I could hardly talk. I was prepping Judy to take me to the hospital at that point as I figured the next step was that my throat would swell shut and I didn't think she could bring herself to perform a tracheotomy before I suffocated.

Fortunately it never came to that. My breathing was never really affected and after a short while the swelling seemed to diminish. Eventually it almost all went away and I went to bed.

Now it's almost 24 hours later. My hands are actually still slightly swollen, but I can see all my wrinkles again. Last night I was like a test dummy for Botox or something.

I have never in my life had a reaction to shellfish, and I've eaten a lot of it. I'm starting to think I had an iodine reaction, as sometimes (as I understand) seafood can carry a lot more iodine than normal. Evidently the older you get, the more susceptible you become and the worse the effects.

Anyhow, how was your weekend?

WTF? How did I miss this??

You must be pretty old!! ;)

Old 07-27-2008, 01:47 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by machodc
WTF? How did I miss this??

You must be pretty old!! ;)
Me old? Who missed the longest post of the past 14 days?

Old 07-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #45

Good point.........