Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-05-2014, 10:10 PM   #31

Again, the Ride Like A Pro video series is great. This is a video taught by a former wheel officer. Sounds simple, but it does take practice. I've been through our department motor school three different times. Each time I learn something new! The biggest thing to remember is set the throttle at 1200 rpm (when completing slow turning maneuvers). When you want or need to increase speed (movement), simply let out more clutch. Keep the throttle set. As you turn sharp, you can keep a steady pressure on the rear brake, but never on the front. With practice, you too can ride very, very well. After practice, you can take the Nomad and pull a 180 in two parking stalls... Sounds rough, but you can do it! It's all clutch, throttle, brake... And head and eye placement. Ride safe gang...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #32

Unfortunately I don't know what 1200 rmp is on my bike because my bike doesn't have a tachometer. I will have to do everything by sound, feel and trial and error.
VBA #02996

2008 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad

Old 09-09-2014, 07:34 PM   #33

Just got a voyager this summer and dropped it on the left in a parking lot. It was an uphill with a side incline. Had the wife with me , picked it up and got it started again. Nothing more than my pride hurt. Dropped it on the right side this weekend. Wife and I stopped at a scenic overlook and same scenario, uphill parking spot angled to the right. Thank goodness no one was hurt and that the bike has bars! Just have to be more careful or grow stronger, longer legs!

Old 09-09-2014, 07:45 PM   #34

I bought a Ride Like a Pro video a couple months ago and it has definitely helped improve my parking lot and city driving. I noticed MotorMan Palladino also has some short videos on YouTube. Wish my bike had a tach but I'm learning to get the feel of it.
Sold: Red 1999 Vulcan 1500 Nomad G1A
VBA# 2713, VROC #36569, TXVROC, American Legion Riders, VFW, VFD, NRA

Old 09-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27vulcan View Post
Just got a voyager this summer and dropped it on the left in a parking lot. It was an uphill with a side incline. Had the wife with me , picked it up and got it started again. Nothing more than my pride hurt. Dropped it on the right side this weekend. Wife and I stopped at a scenic overlook and same scenario, uphill parking spot angled to the right. Thank goodness no one was hurt and that the bike has bars! Just have to be more careful or grow stronger, longer legs!
Be sure to only stop when you have the front wheel pointed at all times straight ahead.

Simply turn the bars straight (quickly if needed) before braking. Use both brakes when possible; but if you only use your front brake in slow maneuvers then expect to experience a slight loss of control. If you know it is coming, and the bike is straight ahead, then typically you can control it. But remember, it doesn't take much to tip a bike in slow maneuvers when using only the front brake when the front is turned.

The rear brake is the only brake to use in slow maneuvers when ever you possibly can.

If you use just the front brake when the wheel is turned (especially in unusual attitudes), it will almost guarantee your bike to go down -- as was mentioned.

Ride safe, often, and aware!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by glwilson; 09-09-2014 at 08:31 PM.