Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #31

My scootworks risers are on the way to me. I just received and installed the reflashed ECU from Ivan. For you Canadians all in it cost $598.41. I shipped it last Tuesday March 21 and received it today! 9 days!

I started the bike and there seems to be a difference in throttle response from idle (very little hesitation) but the proof will be in the first ride. Also the bike has been sitting all winter so it needs a good run. I hope it is a lot quicker in case I don't get my paint issue solved. That way no one will notice.

Got to get rid of this snow!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-30-2017, 04:41 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MET-RICK View Post
Attachment 12410

*** here's a pic of the scootworks phatriser 1xvb on my 2013 Vaq. and I did re-route the brake line to in front of the triple tree just to be safe. As you know you can go to their site or call them to check and verify the specs for rise and p/b...but as I see it for this particular model they simply "sweep" back as opposed to most others that have an actual "hook" or definitive bend. ps. about dragging knuckles comment...I always wear gloves lol. cheers
Thanks. Yes it looks like my brake line could be an issue. It is pretty tight with the Chuckster's riser adaptor I have now.

Old 04-19-2017, 03:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
I have had my vaquero ('13 Candy Burnt Orange) going on my 3rd season and it was only last year that I started to really enjoy the bike. It is stock except for a corbin seat, baggershield 6.5-9.5 flip windshield and chuckster's handlebar risers.

It is my first bike in 25years and after I bought it I thought this bike is way too big for me (not too powerful) as I am 5'-7". I bought a seat that was supposed to lower me, but all it did was move me back away from the handlebars. more about that later. I also bought some Progressive shocks which did lower the bike about an inch, but once I got used to the bike I reinstalled the original shocks which ,I think, gives a better ride. I installed the handlebar risers to help move the handlebars a little closer to my arms and they have helped but I need to find a way to move the bars another 1 or so back to me.

Here's are the things I want to do

1. find a way to move me closer to the bars or the bars to me. New handlebars would do it, but would I need to have longer control cables?

2. The baggershield is nice but I need something a little higher to get the wind noise out of my ears as I use a half helmet. I am looking at the windvest but don't know if it should be the 8" or 10" for my height?

3. Ivan's reflash. A question: If I get the reflash done and tell Ivan that I am planning on adding pipes and air but don't add the pipes and air can I still use the ECU?

4. Pipes. I hear the cobra's are a little less harsh sounding that the V & H?

5. BAK but I need to read more about this mod and how much louder the bike will sound. I like power but not "loud".

Back to Corbin and for guys thinking of ordering a seat to lower the seat height. I think the manufacturer did me a miss-service as I called them to ask if the seat for the vaquero would lower me to which they said yes if you get the "nose job" to which I did. What they didn't tell me was that it would move me back at least 2 inches away from the handlebars. You would think this would be important info to a short-ass as being short does NOT make your arms longer. (HAHA). They did say I could send it back and they would try and remedy this but at my cost for shipping. I live in Atlantic Canada and the shipping would be expensive. After my experience I didn't trust them to get it right.
Not sure from your post, when you say the bike is too big. Are you simply trying to get closer to the bars or would you like your butt closer to the ground? If it's the latter, we sell a much cheaper option than spending $5-600 on a seat. Lowering links available for the Vaquero and Voyager/Nomad. Retain your plush factory shocks and all their adjustments. Call direct or search Ebay. You won't regret it. At 5'7" you'll go from the balls of your feet touching to heels on the ground.
507-283-1800

Old 04-21-2017, 07:33 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvernekaw View Post
Not sure from your post, when you say the bike is too big. Are you simply trying to get closer to the bars or would you like your butt closer to the ground? If it's the latter, we sell a much cheaper option than spending $5-600 on a seat. Lowering links available for the Vaquero and Voyager/Nomad. Retain your plush factory shocks and all their adjustments. Call direct or search Ebay. You won't regret it. At 5'7" you'll go from the balls of your feet touching to heels on the ground.
507-283-1800
I'm saying that this bike after not having rode for 25 years was really too big to start back up in. I felt that I would feel more secure if my ass was closer to the ground. That was why I bought the new seat and lowering shocks. The seat did not lower me any and moved me away from the handlebars. I removed the shocks after only a short time as after riding for a while I had much more confidence with this big bike. I have since added the Scootworks risers (today) and this has taken care of the seat issue. I actually can use the backrest that came with it. Went for a ride today and seating position is much much better.

I also had the Ivan reflash and like everything I have heard it really wakes this engine up. It was freaking cold out so I was only going to go for a 10 min ride to see how it worked and was gone for almost 2 hours and had a smile frozen on my face when I got back. Awesome!

Old 04-21-2017, 08:46 PM   #35

scootworks risers

hey TODDM... which risers did you install?? also does your bike have ABS and the KACT braking system? Im looking at the scootworks 1XVB risers for my 15 vaquero with the ABS and KACT. Im wondering if I have enough slack on the brake hose for the risers. right now the brake hose is routed down the bars and in front of then under the upper tripletree, then goes to a distribution block close to the front of the gas tank on the right side. as it is there is not much play in the hose at full left turn of the bars. how does yours look?? sorry for all the questions.
grasshopper driver backrest
oem aux lights
ram mount for gps
freedom performance true duals
tank bra
saddle bag chaps
kuryakin longhorn cruise pedals
black isso grips
chucksters risers
k&n air filter
ivanized

VBA#03256

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddM View Post
Ok being my anal self I started some diagrams to help with my quest of getting the handlebars closer to me. I am looking for 3" of pull back from stock. I include some of the drawings that may help others with this same issue and maybe some helpful comments.

The first diagram shows the stock location versus the relocation using chuckster's risers which I have on my bike. I also show these drawings at the 33 degree angle at which the risers are installed to easier show the actual rise and pullback. While the pullback dimension is what I am looking for I still have to keep in mind the rise, but that isn't critical for me at this point.

The next diagram shows the scootworks vaquero risers, but keep in mind I do not have these, but they are drawn based on the advertised 2" rise and 2" pull back. The chuckster's risers are spacers that are added to the stock riser which means they must be on the same center as stock. The scootworks risers seem be installed somewhat off center to the base or the pull back is less than 2 inches. They are very close to the console at full lock which is fine. I haven't seen any complaints of contact.

The third drawing shows both the chuckster and scootworks together

The fourth drawing shows the Krator 3.5" risers seen on ebay. I wasn't going to include this as I discovered the hole is only 1" in diameter, but I included anyway as it clearly shows interference with the console at full lock.

The fifth drawing shows the 5.5" krator risers seen on Ebay, which would solve my issue, but again they are only for 1" diameter bars. Annoying that the seller states they will fit the Vaquero. Heck they will fit my truck if I make some modifications! Did I say annoying?!

My conclusion is that for the price the Scootworks risers may be all I get as can use the stock hoses and wires.

A little bit more about the scootworks risers . The drawing I did of them based on claimed 2" rise and pullback was bang on. The quality is very good and they look good (see post #30 from MET-RICK for a picture). A universal adaptor and a 10" extension makes the install very easy. I moved the brake line out of the front braket but it is a little too tight (but drivable) for my liking so I will have this replaced or moved as MET-RICK shows in his picture.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:50 AM   #37

My experience dealing with Dave Hockaday at Scootworks (621 Cycles) was positive. There was problems with the package during midshipment and Dave was very helpful getting this straightened out. Any emails sent to him regarding this and installation questions were answered promptly.

The service is usually pretty good with USPS, but the tracking of this package was strange.

It went from
ZEBULON, NC (March 29)
RALEIGH, NC
WEST PALM BEACH, FL
OPA LOCKA, FL
MIAMI, FL
LOUISVILLE, KY
Back to WEST PALM BEACH
Back to LOUISVILLE
HAMILTON, CANADA
MONTREAL, CANADA
Back to MIAMI
Back to WEST PALM BEACH (here for 9 days)
Back to MONTREAL
To Saint John
To me (April 21)

Last edited by ToddM; 04-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Old 04-22-2017, 09:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie View Post
hey TODDM... which risers did you install?? also does your bike have ABS and the KACT braking system? Im looking at the scootworks 1XVB risers for my 15 vaquero with the ABS and KACT. Im wondering if I have enough slack on the brake hose for the risers. right now the brake hose is routed down the bars and in front of then under the upper tripletree, then goes to a distribution block close to the front of the gas tank on the right side. as it is there is not much play in the hose at full left turn of the bars. how does yours look?? sorry for all the questions.
Read my last two posts as well as posts #29 and 30. The risers are Scootworks PhatRisers 1XVB (SWR-30). My bike does not have ABS or KACT so the routing is much simpler. From my handlebars my brake line runs in front of the triple tree to "distribution block" to the front brakes. From your handlebars the brakeline runs in front of the T-tree and back under to the ABS/KACT pump and then back to all the brakes.