Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-28-2013, 02:41 PM   #1

Voyager vs. Royal Star Venture?

How would these bikes compare to each other? I noticed the RSV seems to have a couch for a seat, but otherwise the bikes look pretty comparable. Has anyone ridden both? What are your impressions?

Thanks.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2013, 03:28 PM   #2

When I was shopping for a bike 2 years ago, you couldn't find one. I think the main difference is 4 cylinder instead of 2 and they're have carburetors not fuel injected. And I think they were about $22K then. Have only seen a couple in the last 2 years.
But yesterday I saw 2 new ones on the way home from a Memorial Day Service. They sure were purty, but I couldn't tell you anything else about them.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Well the RSV has a cassette player and the Voyager doesn't.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to johnberryus
I test road a used one last year while I was shopping for bikes, Road well and looked pretty sharp, but the Nomad was better for the money and I did not try a Voyager.

2006 Silver and Black XL1200R Sportster "Beauty" (Sadly this is up for sale)

VBA #2066

Mokwa
Officer
Road Captain
Legion Of Sin MC

"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time." - General S. George Patton Jr

Old 05-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #5

Pretty sure a RSV would absolutely walk away from a Voyager power wise but overall they are pretty dated.

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Well the RSV has a cassette player and the Voyager doesn't.
and the RSV doesn't have external pushrods like........................ oh never mind!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 05-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #7

voyager vs royal star

no comparison, the rsv is a v-4 13xx cc carb'd engine, 5 spd tranny. it is somewhat dated but does haul ass and is smooth. wheel base is a little shorter than a voyager i believe, at least it felt that way to me. price wise it was comparable to the voyager. aftermarket support is non-existent for the rsv as well. the voyager gets better mileage, rides better, looks better, and i believe is built better. hope this helps.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
and the RSV doesn't have external pushrods like........................ oh never mind!
The RSV isn't a v-twin, Bub. Apples and oranges.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #9

Here's what Yamaha says .................(copy and paste)

• This fully loaded luxury touring machine comes with everything serious riders need, including a four-speaker sound system with a Star-branded iPod touch®, a CB radio, intercom system, and AM/FM radio combined with a powerful and smooth V-four engine and front end chrome accents.
  • There’s plenty of lockable storage in the form of a 15-gallon trunk and a pair of color-matched 9.3-gallon sidebags; that’s 33.6 gallons total.
  • Ergonomically designed bucket-type seats with plush, wraparound passenger backrest for unbeatable long-range comfort.
  • Industry’s premier rider support package includes a five-year, unlimited mileage warranty and 24-hour roadside assistance program.
  • The Royal Star Venture S gets chrome accents to the front end.

Engine:

• 79 cubic-inch liquid-cooled, V-four tuned to put out class-leading power — 97hp @ 6000 rpm and maximum torque at 89 ft.-lb. @ 4750 rpm — for incomparable touring performance.
  • Four heated 32mm Mikuni carburetors with TPS deliver seamless throttle response and greater power across the entire rev range.
  • Compact design, dual-intake system enhances performance without sacrificing fuel tank capacity.
  • Large-capacity radiator ensures superior engine cooling for maximum efficiency.
  • Single-axis internal counterbalancer reduces engine vibration.
  • Wide-ratio, five-speed transmission with 5th-gear overdrive geared for both highway passing power and lower-rev cruising speeds.
  • Low-maintenance hydraulic clutch actuation and strong, low-maintenance shaft drive for touring convenience.
  • Four-into-two exhaust system puts out a throaty exhaust note and creates a long, low profile that’s easily customizable.

Chassis/Suspension:

• High-integrity, single-backbone frame with solid engine mounting and 29-degree caster angle delivers quick, responsive steering and excellent handling.
  • Class-leading long wheelbase (67.1-inches) provides exceptional roomy ergonomics for great rider control and comfort.
  • Air-adjustable telescopic front fork designed with 29-degree caster angle and 5.5 inches of travel smoothes out the bumps and adjusts for varying load capacities.
  • Air-adjustable link-type rear suspension features a vertically mounted single shock with 4.1 inches of travel for outstanding long-distance ride quality.
  • Large-diameter front and rear disc brakes with sintered pads provide strong, linear stopping power.
  • Wide, fork-mounted fairing, windshield, wind deflectors and frame-mounted lower cowlings offer outstanding weather protection.
  • Full-sized floating-type rider and passenger floorboards reduce vibration and are positioned for optimal long-distance comfort.

Additional Features:

• Incomparable fit and finish includes flawless paint with extensive chrome and brushed stainless steel accents as well as deep, valanced steel fenders.
  • 6.1-gallon fuel tank with low-fuel warning light ensures outstanding long-distance touring range.
  • Large, powerful 12V 60/55-watt remote-adjustable halogen headlight maximizes nighttime visibility and cuts a stylish profile.
  • Cigarette type DC accessory connector in fairing plus 2-pin DC accessory connector under the seat.
  • Ignition switch with integrated steering lock mounted to front of fuel tank for extra convenience.
  • Vintage-style console and instrument panel features: digital speedometer, odometer, dual tripmeters, fuel tripmeter, clock, fuel gauge, cruise control, TPS self-diagnosis, speed sensor, and neutral, high beam, turn signals and low oil-level indicator lights.
  • Electronic cruise control switch located on right handlebar controls for ease of use.
  • Handlebar-mounted 40-channel CB radio with dual antenna for CB and AM/FM radio.
  • Single-point audio control system for AM/FM radio, cassette, and intercom is MP3-compatible and headset-ready. The system also includes a Star-branded iPod touch (8GB) with an iSimple SolutionsTM audio interface by AAMP of America.
  • Four-speaker (14 watts per channel) system with automatic, speed-regulated volume control to help hear over wind noise.
  • Two-way rider/passenger intercom system.
  • Huge, 15-gallon rear trunk with easy, one-touch opener can hold two full-faced helmets and includes a lined interior storage pouch.
  • Color-matched hard-shell saddlebags each feature handy, one-touch openers and spacious 9.3-gallon storage with interior pouch.
  • 12V 18AH maintenance-free battery ensures easy, reliable starting.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 05-28-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Top Contributor

I was going to add something to Cliff's post, but it appears he covered it pretty well....!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 05-28-2013, 10:25 PM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
The RSV isn't a v-twin, Bub. Apples and oranges.
if Harley made a v4 the pushrods would still be on the outside

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

Member # 0005

Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
if Harley made a v4 the pushrods would still be on the outside
Well it's a good thing they don't then, huh?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 05-28-2013, 11:12 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Well it's a good thing they don't then, huh?
You must be tired tonight....

Member # 0005

Old 05-29-2013, 02:04 AM   #14

I have a 05 RSV Midnight but I have not had a chance to ride a Voyager but I do have a 05 Nomad.

I bought the nomad because of the good reviews, it had what I was looking for in a bike and I liked how it looked and the price was right.

I bought the RSV because of sentimental reasons. The man I bought it from became ill and couldn't ride it anymore. It sat in his garage for 6 years and for about the last 4 years I had been trying to get him to sell it to me. He finally gave in. The reason I wanted his bike was that he was my dads best friend and he talked my dad into buying his first motorcycle in 1957. So I had to have it.

I have only taken the rsv on one trip so far. (I love the cruise control.) Both bikes ride great. The rsv has more power up to 65 mph. While cruising at hwy speed and you need get on it then you need to down shift. The nomad has more power after 65. The shifting is much smoother on the rsv then the nomad but at low speeds it makes a whining sound almost like a turbine.

A littile video of the first trip on the rsv

I love both of them.

Old 05-29-2013, 02:49 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
It's been over ten yrs. but I had a 98' RSV and loved the bike. I actually looked for a decent used one when I decided to go with the Nomad. I loved the Venture and the quality it had. I always thought Yamaha could do better than a 1300, but having said that I never wanted for power.
Sadly though, I sold it after I had it repaired after my wife and I had a deer take our frt, wheel out from under us while on vacation with "midge" and his wife in the Haida Gwaii {Queen Charlotte Islands}
With a wife who wouldn't get on the back of a motorcycle after that,..... we took a few vacations in Europe.
I ride solo now,....... and both my wife and I are Ok with that

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png