Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #16

I have a fairly new Garmin Zumo 660 (August) and I understand I cannot download to it. That really ticks me off because I thought I could.

Does anyone know if I have this wrong?

TC... I understood Mapsource is difficult to deal with when you customize maps... at least in the way I do. I like to make quite a few adjustments and changes. That is why I do NOT like Google, Mapquest, HD's or any of the others I have tried. They always bog-down or say that you have a limit on the number or waypoints.

With Microsoft's program I can highly customize a long route and not have it fail or overload.

I am still interested in finding out if I have it wrong about downloading to my Zumo 660. That thing was around $600. You would think I could. I know others have less expensive models and can do it...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #17

I have used Harley trip planner, and have often found it to run slow and freeze up at times. Other than that I liked it. Fish introduced me to Honda planner, and while I have only played with it a bit, for the most part I find it easier to use, and much quicker than the Harley one. I am having a bit of an issue trying to click and drag the highlighted route, but that may be me.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-15-2012, 07:01 PM   #18

Greg I would be surprised if you couldn't down load to the 660.
I did do a comparison between the 550 and the 660 zumo, as I just bought the 550 a couple of months back. I did notice that you can only store 20 routes on the 660 but 50 on the 550.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #19

According to the Garmin site, you can plan routes and load them on the Zumo 660:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15000.

I have a Mac and use a program called BaseCamp. I don't know if it works with PCs, but I like it better than the HD Planner.
VBA #1753
2008 Nomad

Old 01-15-2012, 08:43 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacon1984 View Post
According to the Garmin site, you can plan routes and load them on the Zumo 660:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=15000.

I have a Mac and use a program called BaseCamp. I don't know if it works with PCs, but I like it better than the HD Planner.

Thanks. It says you can but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. I think I have to have a memory card installed also, which I guess I don't get for nearly $700.

I'll have to work on this some more. One guy told me he can "record" a route he rides and save for a later date. Geez... that would be real nice as a feature also.

Anyway, thanks. I am going to spend some time and try to figure this out while it is cold out!

EDIT: Downloaded Basecamp on my Mac; but it doesn't have enough details. To get details you have to purchase it. I'll check it out further to see if what that entails. If it works and downloads to my Garmin then I'll probably get it. They do have a PC version also.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by glwilson; 01-15-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #21

Greg, I think there are a couple of Garmin forums, maybe a bit of time spent there will be helpful in getting the info.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 01-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnc View Post
Greg, I think there are a couple of Garmin forums, maybe a bit of time spent there will be helpful in getting the info.
Thanks. I will. But one would think for that kind of money a forum wouldn't be necessary. Their manual should include that information; but it doesn't.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
maybe the same guy that builds the harley davidson motorcycles makes the map planner?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post
EDIT: Downloaded Basecamp on my Mac; but it doesn't have enough details. To get details you have to purchase it. I'll check it out further to see if what that entails. If it works and downloads to my Garmin then I'll probably get it. They do have a PC version also.
On the issue of the map details, you may have to upload your map from your unit to BaseCamp. Look at the maps that are installed in the program, and make sure it matches what is on your Garmin.

I never had to pay for BaseCamp or any updates.
VBA #1753
2008 Nomad

Old 01-15-2012, 09:49 PM   #25

Quote:
On the issue of the map details, you may have to upload your map from your unit to BaseCamp. Look at the maps that are installed in the program, and make sure it matches what is on your Garmin.

Geez... this thing keeps getting more and more complicated. I can't seem to unlock, download, or sync my GPS's maps to Basecamp. I am going to have a Maker's Mark and give a break tonight. I will get it all out tomorrow and give it a try.

Thanks for your help!!

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 01-15-2012, 10:26 PM   #26

Greg,
You can download routes to the zumo 660. However, it only understands GPX files. (which is an open standard for GPS data exchange). If you can select this in streets and trips, then you can save directly onto the zumo's internal drive in the GPX folder. Note, that Garmin won't understand the "streets" from another map, just the positions of the waypoints that you add along the way. I did a quick search and it looks like there isn't a way to convert (GPS babel quit supporting S&T in 2007).

Basecamp includes a very limited detail map to give you context for places where you don't have detail (this same program is used with rec products that may not have detailed maps). Basecamp can use the map currently installed on your zumo. Plug in the zumo to your computer's USB port. After the zumo disk is mounted, you should see zumo 660 (Unit ID .....) on the left. Look under "Library", there should be a Devices section. Click on either gmapprom or CN North America NT... (but don't select the 3D buildings). You should now be able to zoom in and see detailed streets. Then click on "My Collection" under library. This will enable the "New" toolbar option which will let you create waypoints and routes.

Basecamp learning curve should be less than MapSource. If you plan your route here (do it first in S&T if you like) then just right click on it and select send to: zumo 660. You can start by searching for the points you want to use (Home, hotels, landmarks, etc). Then select and choose File > New Route using selected waypoints. You can then zoom in and use the insert route waypoint tool to select a route section that you want to modify and drop 1 (or more points) on the road you want to ride.

zumo 550/660 record where you have been and also store these records in GPX format. These files can be read from your unit using MapSource, Basecamp, and Google Earth. In Basecamp, select All Data under the zumo 660 and you can see the tracks that say "active log" with a date. You can copy these to your PC fairly easily by creating a new list (for example, call it tracks) under my collection. Then select the tracks you want to copy and right click > Send to "tracks". Right click on one and select Show on Map to see the whole thing on the map or double click to see a listing of all the individual points in the track.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Last edited by petenomad; 01-15-2012 at 10:30 PM.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:31 PM   #27

Quote:

You don't have to upload or unlock it if you simply plug in your unit and access directly from the unit's internal memory.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
I do sometimes....but its easier to sit at the PC when planning routes...then just plug the GPS into it...!
What?
I don't think we are on the same page here.
I have a program called MapSource that came as a CD with my Zumo.
I downloaded it to my PC and now I sit at my computer and plan the trip then down load the trip to my GPS.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #29

Greg,did you get a program called MapSource with your Garmin? I have to believe you did.
If so, all you have to do is plan your route on the MapSource program then plug your Garmin into your PC and when a screen comes up click transfer to device.
I will admit MapSource is very hard to get the hang of but once you get it ' it is a good program.
I used to plan my trips on MicroSoft Streets and Trips then manually transfer them to MapSource turn by turn but that is way to time consuming.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-15-2012, 11:46 PM   #30

Tim,
MapSource was supplied with both the 550 and 660/665. However, it has never been available for the Mac and most people found it extremely frustrating to learn. It also requires an initial map to be installed on your computer and then updated whenever you update your unit's maps (and these are in different formats, so you can't just copy from PC to unit). As I just posted, with Basecamp, you don't actually need to install maps on your computer.

Basecamp is now available for both platforms and in many ways is easier to use. Specifically, route editing now has specific tools to insert a new point on the route (to force the route to a specific road), move a point, and split the route. Finding POIs is simplified and right up front on a tool bar.

I'm still adjusting to the "library" but this seems similar to iTunes or Windows Media Player - where there is just a collection of data organized how you want it. I think I'll like it fine, once I adapt.