Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #16

Chuckster's Dual-Plate Setup - Thoughts

What does someone get if they buy the dual plate kit? Does the filter come with it or do you have to get that separate? Does Joe make one that goes on the left side rather than the right side? May be a dumb question but I figured it would be a little quieter on the left as compared to the right. A little less air flow from the left over to the right but you never know. I have just bought some Cobra True Duals to put on my 06 Nomad and if I get the dual plate system than I will assume that a TFI or Cobra fi2000r would also be neccessary. I had a TFI unit before but couldn't tell it did anything for my bike but make it use more gas without any performance difference. That thing was adjusted from here to yonder without anything good coming from it so I took it off and have rode with it since BUT all the talk has gotten me interested again and I will probably lean the Cobra route this time. Any info is helpful.

Thanks
Butch

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2011, 12:52 AM   #17

The K&N filter doesn't come with the kit. You have to buy that separately. I bought mine from Amazon for $32, I think it was.

There's no point in putting an intake kit on the left side, since the biggest restriction to airflow is moving air through the filter, between the jugs and into the intake on the right. You could replace the stock filter with a K&N, I suppose, and it would give you greater airflow, but you won't get the input volume you would with the right-side kit. In fact, you'll just lean the motor out more than it already is and lose power if you don't have the TFI installed and tuned properly, and especially if you have the pipes AND the intake installed.

Just remember: More air in must = more air out. You can open up the exhaust, but without opening up the intake, you're not going to flow more air. Also, by opening up the intake but leaving the exhaust stock, you're also not going to flow more air greater than the pipes can handle during the compression strokes.

Since you have the new exhaust all ready to go, I'd put that on first, then get a fuel computer (TFI or Cobra - I've owned both on different bikes, they seem to be about equal) and tune it up. The Nomad runs lean from the factory anyway. You may think you're mileage is suffering with a fuel computer, but in fact, the motor is running the way it was designed to be run. With the correct a/f ratio, in my opinion, the motor runs smoother and much cooler than stock, even without the intake. The TFI unit comes with baseline settings for a stock Nomad, which will work for you, even after you have the pipes on.

Once you have those done, then do the intake. At that point you'll finally have increased air intake AND increased exhaust flow for all that air to escape from after combustion. At that point, it's a matter of dialing in the TFI/Cobra to get as close to a 13.5/1 air/fuel mixture as you can.

Hope that helps - sorry for the long-winded post. ;)

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 01-01-2011, 12:39 PM   #18

I love stories like this.

Open intake, TFI and exhaust. It doesn't get any better.......

Old 01-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #19

I agree with everything Taranis said. I have the dual plate set up with a TFI and a stock debaffled exhaust. Big difference over no intake mod. We need to go riding Taranis. Cheryl and I will eat the BBQ you talked about.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmac
I agree with everything Taranis said. I have the dual plate set up with a TFI and a stock debaffled exhaust. Big difference over no intake mod. We need to go riding Taranis. Cheryl and I will eat the BBQ you talked about.
We do need to go riding. And I'm always up for good BBQ, even if my waistline isn't right now.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-01-2011, 02:37 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmmbt
What does someone get if they buy the dual plate kit? Does the filter come with it or do you have to get that separate? Does Joe make one that goes on the left side rather than the right side? Thanks
Butch
Hi Butch,
I don't make a kit for the left side, but that being said you can leave the left side stock and just do the right side. I can provide a filter with the kit if you want one.
You will really like the change/effects this mod does for you.
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Old 01-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #22

joe,to use the stock dog bowl covers i must use a dual set up? can i set it up to leave left side stock and single set up with a k&n filter (E-3402) on rt with the dog bowl cover?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:04 PM   #23

The dual plate allows you to use a K&N E-3402 under the stock cover on the right side. The left side will remain in place in the stock configuration.
VBA #1047
07 Electra Glide Ultra (43,300 & counting)
03 Nomad - 37,972 (traded 5/6/13)
99 Nomad - Only a memory since 4/27/13

Old 01-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moresin
joe,to use the stock dog bowl covers i must use a dual set up? can i set it up to leave left side stock and single set up with a k&n filter (E-3402) on rt with the dog bowl cover?
That is exactly correct. The dual plate kit is for using the stock dog bowl as a cover over the entire system, and the left side is left for cosmetics there on.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 PM   #25

Hi Joe,

What would your K&N filter cost and the dual plate kit for a 1600? I don't have a Cobra fi2000r or a TFI yet but I am guessing that would be something else I would need to buy when I open up the intake as well as put my Cobra true duals on. You wouldn't happen to have one of those as well would you??? Is there anything that anybody could pass on to me about what I would need to do for the new exhaust install? I haven't started on that as of yet as I need a new back tire and I may go with a car tire or not this time but when I get to the tire I might break down the back end and go through everything and get it all greased up before the tire goes back on. Any info from anyone would be appreciated.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:41 PM   #26

Quote:
Hi Joe,

What would your K&N filter cost and the dual plate kit for a 1600? I don't have a Cobra fi2000r or a TFI yet but I am guessing that would be something else I would need to buy when I open up the intake as well as put my Cobra true duals on. You wouldn't happen to have one of those as well would you??? Is there anything that anybody could pass on to me about what I would need to do for the new exhaust install? I haven't started on that as of yet as I need a new back tire and I may go with a car tire or not this time but when I get to the tire I might break down the back end and go through everything and get it all greased up before the tire goes back on. Any info from anyone would be appreciated.
I have filters here and they are 38.00 so with the dual plate kit you are 116.00 shipped priority mail.
For a TFI I will reccomend the Dobec unit very good for the money and easy install. Part # FI-2050ST
One more thing I will suggest when doing all the mods is to add a set of coasters I make too. http://www.gadgetjq.com/rv_removal.htm This what they do for ya.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:11 PM   #27

Hi Joe,

I guess that is a K&N filter with your dual plate so I would be ready to convert. I have already blocked off with the coasters. They came from the guy I bought the bike from. One more thing though, I bought your light kit for my Nomad and it had one short that I found but I have replaced the fuse a total of 6 times. It seems to blow the fuses and haven't figured out what the problem is. This first blowing of the fuse came from it shorting out in your light itself and I believe I have fixed that. It gets a little aggrevating blowing fuses and I haven't even tried to trace where the blowing of the fuses are coming from now. Haven't had the heart to tackle that one yet. Any ideas?

Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Hi Joe,

I guess that is a K&N filter with your dual plate so I would be ready to convert. I have already blocked off with the coasters. They came from the guy I bought the bike from. One more thing though, I bought your light kit for my Nomad and it had one short that I found but I have replaced the fuse a total of 6 times. It seems to blow the fuses and haven't figured out what the problem is. This first blowing of the fuse came from it shorting out in your light itself and I believe I have fixed that. It gets a little aggrevating blowing fuses and I haven't even tried to trace where the blowing of the fuses are coming from now. Haven't had the heart to tackle that one yet. Any ideas?
Yes that is for the complete kit using the Dual plate system.

Now on to the blowing fuses. Take the seat off and check the hot wire going to the battery making sure it isnt't pinched by the seat or something else. I solder the fuse holder on and heat shrink the connection, make sure that is good there as well. Next take each light out of the housing (1 screwand nut) on each. Where the H3 bulb plugs to the wire there is a protective sleeve that covers the connector. Make sure these are in place and making contact in the light housing, I have seen this befroe first hand on my bike with the old F-S lightbar. You can tape the connections just make it safer and protect them.

Lets start there with those three things.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 AM   #29

got my dual plate system , k-n filter and coaster yesterday nice stuff joe.thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 01:59 AM   #30

Just (finally) ordered Joe's single plate system. Like the look better. . . Looking forward to the install and test drive.
Hey, Joe. . . Any tips on K&N filters other than listed???
P.S. Max flow over $$$

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ