Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS)

My facebook friends may have already seen this. I used to own a Nomad, but traded it for a Concours when my wife decided to get her Spyder. One of the features of the Concours is bulit-in TPMS. Yesterday, I was riding along and heard an odd crunching sound. I was able to flip my display over to the TPMS screen which showed me my rear tire was loosing pressure. In this case I was only going about 35MPH, but I was able to see the impending doom. :) Thankfully I was able to pull into a parking lot and out of danger. I managed to plug the tire and get to a hotel for the night.

The next morning I decided I didn't want to trust the plug and headed for a dealer. As I was riding down the interstate I kept the display on the TPMS screen and about 7 miles from the hotel, I could see the rear starting to lose pressure again. This constant display of pressure may have saved my life! Instead of finding myself in the center lane at 65mph with a flat, I was able to recognize that I was losing pressure and safely pull off the road onto the shoulder. AFAIK, none of the Vulcan's have this system built in. I know it is not cheap or flashy, but I strongly recommend that you consider this next time you are thinking about some new bling. It could save you from a truly unpleasant day.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #2

I'm doing some research on TPMS - I'm a little tired of maneuvering my skoot to hand-check the TP every time I go out for a ride. Has anyone done any looking-into on this forum?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:40 PM   #3

Tpms

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
I'm doing some research on TPMS - I'm a little tired of maneuvering my skoot to hand-check the TP every time I go out for a ride. Has anyone done any looking-into on this forum?
The onle concern I have is that most of the ones I have seen on cars malfunction all the time, and have to be calibrated?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #4

Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundman View Post
The onle concern I have is that most of the ones I have seen on cars malfunction all the time, and have to be calibrated?
Oh and is hey Joe like Hendrix?

Old 06-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #5

EEEeee GAdz I Hate Tire Problem's when I'm traveling...and yet thats the one problem I ever had..(several time's over the year's)

However in my case it's always been a "blow-out"...and I dont suppose a pressure monitoring system would have indicated any problem..until the problem !

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #6

I'm one of the one's that is an advocate for TPMS............ I like them a lot, and they are well worth the money.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 06-24-2014, 02:01 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Quote:
They only have to be re-calibrated if you have them rotated. the sensors are programmed to the position they are on the car. You don't have to worry about that on a bike. Although they do malfunction and go bad like any other electronic device and replacing them is expensive and then they have to be re-calibrated when you do.

99 cent tire pressure gauge and a dollars worth of quarters in the windshield pouch for the air pump at your favorite filling station.
(kawboysix)

Old 06-24-2014, 06:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Oh and is hey Joe like Hendrix?
Folks have been asking me since the 60's where I was going with that gun in my hand ;)

Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
EEEeee GAdz I Hate Tire Problem's when I'm traveling...and yet thats the one problem I ever had..(several time's over the year's)

However in my case it's always been a "blow-out"...and I dont suppose a pressure monitoring system would have indicated any problem..until the problem !
The TPMS might indicate high temperature before a blowout. Tires don't normally blow because of road hazards but from weaknesses in the tire.
This is the one I have. I love it! http://www.jpcycles.com/product/541-494

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (past)
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)
1967 Pannonia T8 250 (past)
1971 Honda 100 Twin (past)

Old 06-28-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJoe View Post
I put one on my skoot. Works great. Check out www.doranmfg.com/tirepressuremonitorproducts.htm ,I think the peace of mind is worth the money I paid. It is easy to use, with good instructions and all the mounting hardware necessary.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post

Running a tire under-inflated will over heat the sidewalls setting you up for a blow out. The system I have will alert you if the pressure is down or up if the pressure moves a percentage from the pressure you calibrate it to. I have seen three other bikes with blow outs, the side walls shredded, because they were running heavy and the tire was low on pressure for the weight it was carrying. Check out this system, www.doranmfg.com/tirepressuremonitorproducts.htm

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #12

Thanks for the info...I'll check into it.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 AM   #13

I like nitrogen, tire pressure stays the same have never had to add air. but a tpms would be nice for piece of mind.

Old 08-24-2014, 08:34 AM   #14

I tried a couple and could never get a good seal on the valve stem, if anyone has recommendations for a good, reliable one for motorcycles, I would be happy to see it.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 08-24-2014, 02:12 PM   #15

I don't have the automatically monitoring system but have purchased valve stem caps at accu-pressure.com. When you order, you state which pressures you need. I have them on both bikes and the car. Just a quick look before riding. The only problem would be while riding you wouldn't know what the pressure is.

Mark Graham
VROC 2710