Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 10-02-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Just about got clipped at lunch

So I was on my way to lunch today and pulled into a little strip mall. I wanted to stop at the bank to hit the ATM and I saw a parking stall right in front of the bank. I start pulling into the the parking space, and I'm about halfway in and the guy in the cage in the space on my right starts to back out. I popped the throttle so he'd hear me and my driving lights were on and my high beam was on, so I thought he would have seen me at the very least.

Instead of just backing straight out, this guy cranks his wheels and starts swinging the front end of his car over into my space. I stopped immediately and he stopped with his front fender maybe 6-8" from my right leg. I didn't even have time to give him a big shot of Stebel horn. He rolls down his window and says "sorry about that. I didn't even see you". Well of course he didn't, because he wasn't paying attention! I just acknowledged him and after he moved back I pulled forward and parked. I didn't even cuss at him. I must be getting soft in my old age.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2008, 03:20 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I bet your pulse was racing however!!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 10-02-2008, 03:26 PM   #3
Mega-Contributor

If I had an empty beer bottle handy (like I would have in my cage), I'd have thrown it at him.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #4
Top Contributor

sounds like me CJ in our old age. Sometimes i dont even have time to think,,,Stebel, Im just trying to avoid a collision. Glad your in 1 piece.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 PM   #5

Haven't had one get me while I'm on it in a stall, but one did the same thing when I was off it and knocked the bike over.

Been worried ever since then about where to park it; forward and they see me before cutting the wheel,....... but then people think it's an empty stall and try to pull in it. Or leave it back where nobody starts to pull in because they didn't see it, but guys like yours cut the wheel and knock it over.

Tough call, glad I wasn't on mine when it happened. I suppose you'll never be able to pull into a space as casually as before, I suspect that it'll be on your mind for a good long time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Naw, it's not like I had a near-death experience or anything. The guy's lucky I was in a hurry to go eat lunch, though. I could hear the friendly call of Moe's Southwest Grill in the back of my head.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 10-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Naw, it's not like I had a near-death experience or anything. The guy's lucky I was in a hurry to go eat lunch, though. I could hear the friendly call of Moe's Southwest Grill in the back of my head.
We'll see whose right on this one :)

Mine happened 9 years ago and just today I pulled into a spot next to a large SUV and wondered if he was going to see my bike or not; pull forward or stay back.

Didn't give it much thought before some dork knocked it over.

BTW, that was my first experience with how great they designed the crash guards on a Nomad. Three new crash guards (the one he hit and the two on the side it flopped over on) and I was good as new.

I guess you'd have to figure a crushed leg into your damages :(" title="" border="0"/>

Old 10-02-2008, 06:16 PM   #8

I don't think it is old age. It is maturity. You are learning to pick your battles. You weren't hurt, he appoliged, and life goes on. You WILL think about this in the future and so will he.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #9

SUV's, at least the ones the size of Escalades should be outlawed. They can't even park in one space, much less not hit your bike. When I was traveling through GA, I stopped at a Comfort Inn to rest a night. Parked the bike in the middle of the space as usual, pulled up to the front of the space. Came out later, some prick in an Escalade had parked in 1.5 spaces. Guess he figured I didn't need that half.

Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 AM   #10

Come on Mike, I'm sure your bum isn't that wide! Just Kidding. :)

Old 10-03-2008, 02:02 AM   #11

Quote:
...my driving lights were on and my high beam was on, so I thought he would have seen me at the very least.
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who drives with hign beams on in the day-time. My best friend gives me a hard time for riding with the brights on.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:06 AM   #12

Quote:
I didn't even cuss at him. I must be getting soft in my old age.
I wouldn't call it old CJ. We have just become accustomed to dealing with stupidity and it is so common that we know cussing won't keep them from repeating. It's like we have gotten so used to it that it doesn't even really make us mad.

Your brain was probably too busy being glad the bike was unharmed that it didn't have time to get mad. I am sure in its own langauge your Nad was chewing his ass though.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksaw
Come on Mike, I'm sure your bum isn't that wide! Just Kidding. :)
You're right, it was just burning from the idea that bikers don't need the whole space (just like they don't need the whole lane on the highway). lol

Old 10-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #14

Awww.. you're just gettin soft in your senior years.

Old 10-13-2008, 10:20 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by formikec
SUV's, at least the ones the size of Escalades should be outlawed. They can't even park in one space, much less not hit your bike. When I was traveling through GA, I stopped at a Comfort Inn to rest a night. Parked the bike in the middle of the space as usual, pulled up to the front of the space. Came out later, some prick in an Escalade had parked in 1.5 spaces. Guess he figured I didn't need that half.

I would have keyed a thank you note in his door.