Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-14-2007, 10:56 PM   #1

Mechanical knowledge

I am going to test your knowledge on why some Nomads get better MPG then others. I ride a 05 Nomad and now have about 22,000 miles on it. Let me tell what I have done to try and make it breathe better. I removed the stock air cleaner and installed a Hypercharger. I took off the stock pipes and put on V&H pipes. Put on a Cobra FI2000. After doing that, I went for a test run and only got 25 MPG. I then put the marble in the tube. With the California special, I have a set of vacuum tubes coming off the tank and the tube that went into the cross over chamber from the stock cleaner, I attached it to the Hypercharger. I also turned most of the settings off on the Cobra. That typically got me about 33 MPG at 80 MPH.

Recently, my MPG has dropped to less then 30. So I removed the vacuum tubes off the tank. Put back on my stock pipes. Checked the TPS and I am within factory setting. Even removed the Cobra FI2000. These changes has not made any improvement. I shot some carb cleaner down the throttle body and my idle RPM went up some and does seem to start better.

Reading some of the threads, I see some get up to 40+ MPG at cruising speed.

My question is this. Given what I have done to try and figure out what the problem is, what could I check out? The only thing I can think of is the injectors are spraying too much fuel. I have never had problems with pinging and do run injector cleaner in the gas every couple of months.

Login or Register to Remove Ads