Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 08-07-2015, 10:40 PM   #1

And I though bugs hurt !!

Well , I've been riding for about 8 years now. I've been hit in the face by bugs so many times I'll taste them for the rest of my life. I took a rock in the knuckle once . Now that one hurt , I could see my bone when I made a fist.
Now for my story. I was up late last night installing my new/used throttle body and getting it tuned up . And then this morning the bike went in to have a new rear tire installed because of a screw that I adopted . Once all was good I hit the highway for a test cruise. Cruisin at about 120 km/ph a bird flew out from nowhere and nailed me in the shin. It was a small bird , sparrow I guess. At that point I though it was a good time to stop and take a break. Boy did that smarts.

I wouldn't trade it for the world !!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #2

Cindy had a bird hit the front of her nice white Boardwalk about a week ago.
There was blood and feathers on her tank and some blood on her face shield.
When we stopped to eat she explained what happened and asked the waitress for a glass of water to clean the tank on her bike.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 08-08-2015, 12:02 AM   #3

I guess we have all taken a bug to the face, except those full helmet wearers...sissiesi. My most recent was last week. I have a fairing and wear a Scorpion half helmet with the sun shield down. A bee(?) or something came over the windhield and hit me where my nostril touches my lip and then proceeds to sting me there and inside my nose. All while I'm dong probably 40 mph. Eyes AND nose started watering and felt like I stuck my nose in the electrical plug. FYI...that hurts.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:03 AM   #4

The other year I was riding on a country road when a pheasant walked out on the road and nearly walked into my front wheel, I looked in my mirror just in time to see my buddy hit it, wish I had had a gopro facing backward, all I saw was an explosion of feathers like a pillow burst open during a pillow fight.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 08-08-2015, 12:13 AM   #5

I also having a full fairing on my bike. This happened last year while out riding the back roads. I was running around 55-60 mph when I noticed a buzzard hovering overhead up the road a ways. I then noticed the roadkill in the rad ahead. As I got closer to the roadkill, the buzzard assumed he could beat me to the same point in the road. He ended up hitting the fairing on the left-hand side of my fairing. Man, I thought that he had taken me out and ruined my fairing. I got home and inspected the damage (expecting the fairing to be cracked) only to find a light scuff mark. Boy, I consider myself lucky.
1996 800A Customized (SOLD)
2001 1500 Nomad (The Mistress)
2013 Voyager

2014 SE Rally - Elkins, WV
2016 SE Rally - Helen, Ga

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-08-2015, 12:18 AM   #6

No birds in the face yet on a bike, but I did have one fly over my mirror and into my face when driving a Jeep on the interstate at 70 or so mph. It hit me hard enough to leave a big bruise on my face (and I don't bruise easily) and my neck sore for a week. I pulled over and found the bird dead back by the tail gate. One time I was REALLY happy that I have to wear glasses.

Old 08-08-2015, 07:31 AM   #7

I bounced a pigeon off my head and had a small bird fly into my fist as I throttled up a mountain pass. Pigeon hurt pretty good and the small bird was an epic explosion of feathers.

Old 08-08-2015, 09:00 AM   #8

Several years ago, I was out riding with a buddy.

He was leading at about 60-70 on a semi-twist SC road out in BFE, when we rounded a corner and a Turkey Vulture slammed into his windshield, came up over the top, and bounced off his forehead.

I thought he was going down, but he kept it upright.

A little later his whole face was black and blue.

MT
VBA 936

Old 08-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #9

I could sit for hours listening to everyone's stories about riding. I've been known to sit in a parking lot with someone for hours just shooting the ____ .
We can all live through cuts and bruises and people may think we're nuts for doing it . But it sure does add some zing to our lives . Oh yah , gotta love it !!!

Old 08-08-2015, 09:32 AM   #10
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2rat View Post
I also having a full fairing on my bike. This happened last year while out riding the back roads. I was running around 55-60 mph when I noticed a buzzard hovering overhead up the road a ways. I then noticed the roadkill in the rad ahead. As I got closer to the roadkill, the buzzard assumed he could beat me to the same point in the road. He ended up hitting the fairing on the left-hand side of my fairing. Man, I thought that he had taken me out and ruined my fairing. I got home and inspected the damage (expecting the fairing to be cracked) only to find a light scuff mark. Boy, I consider myself lucky.
that's funny kinda had the same scenario recently, buzzard was eating the roadkill when we came upon'em and flew off just berfore I got there, he picks it up and drops it on my helmet, me and the bike I smelled like shit for three days (nasty mess)

Old 08-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #11

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
On the way home from Maggie Valley I had a robin commit suicide on the front of my helmet. It broke off the visor it hit so hard. (I was doing 70 at the time) Full face helmet, nice.

Stuff like that makes me glad that I wear my gear. I'm sure that a lot of bikers get killed because something smashed into their faces on the highway. ATGATT
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 08-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #12

Last year I got a wasp stuck in the sleeve of my shirt and it kept stinging just above my elbow til I finally slapped the bugger dead . Man did that burn for a few days.
Wife got one on her inner thigh , pull over , pull over , pull over !!!!

Thanks for all the stories..... Glad we're all here to tell them !!!

Last edited by Ridefree; 08-08-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Old 08-08-2015, 02:30 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullbagger View Post
that's funny kinda had the same scenario recently, buzzard was eating the roadkill when we came upon'em and flew off just berfore I got there, he picks it up and drops it on my helmet, me and the bike I smelled like shit for three days (nasty mess)
I would have loved to have been following you to see that !!! Sorry

Old 08-08-2015, 02:32 PM   #14

By the way , love the 14 Vaquero's . Great color/flames . I keep looking at the one at the dealer when I go..... Some day

Old 08-08-2015, 02:41 PM   #15
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
I would have loved to have been following you to see that !!! Sorry
thanks buddy I do anything for a laugh