Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 03-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #1

Radios / intercoms yesor no?

Just curious since KAW is now offering a radio/com package as an option on this years bikes, how many people have them installed(radios,c.b.'s,com units,xm) and are they worth it?
Those with full face helmets do you use the com headsets when riding 2-up? If not how do you communicate with your partner?

Not really thinking about the XM satellite radio but talking with the OL over a headset instead of her screaming she's gotta pee would be better I think..Maybe not solo though..
What do you think would it be worth the $700.00 +/- option?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-10-2008, 11:39 PM   #2

I installed a stereo in the left saddlebag and mounted the remote on the gastank.I mounted 2 speakers on the handlebars behind the windshield .Sounds good and does not block other vehicle noise like helmet speakers.I just turn my head to talk to my passenger.The radio is good for long rided and I spent no where near $700 for it.

Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Just my 2 cents worth; my Valkyrie had an intercom/CB unit mounted at the factory and all I had to get were the helmet set ups and cords to plug into the system. While convenient when out riding it is a PITA to plug and unplug all the time at each stop. I never really got to use the CB much at all and because I could never get an instruction manual on the unit I never learned how to fully use it. Unless you are on the bike for hours without stopping it is super, but otherwise a lot of money for much of nothing. Work out a set of signals with your lady and save the money on an intercom.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #4

I have no need for a CB and I have personal issues with paying a monthly fee for radio, but I really like having tunes while I ride - I can always turn them off if I care to.

I installed the cycle sounds system after catching it on sale for $100 off. You will need to add a Boostaroo for speeds over 50mph. It's not symphony quality, but it's a great add-on IMHO

BTW, talking to my passenger works fine without cords

Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 AM   #5

I blew my ear drum out years ago while water skiing and my ear can't stand long trips with wind blowing into it. SO I use to wear ear plugs on long trips. Now I have a Sirius radio hooked up and use ear buds. I love it. I didn't spend anywhere near $700. I bought a $10 chrome mount off ebay, a booster from radio shack, and hard wired it. I would never go on trips without it. For me the radio is worth it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-11-2008, 07:53 AM   #6

I guess I am old school but I don't very often even listen to a radio in my truck when driving. We have tried 3 different sets of FRS radios on the bikes, bought different VOX mikes, etc and have never liked them. I have a walkman I take on long trips but rerely use it.

I also noticed that some states only allow one ear bud on radios/etc. on motorcycles.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

I would love to have a setup that was completely wireless to include, cell, cb, fm/am, intercom. I think that kind of setup is getting close.
wife and I take several trips a year and soon will be doing some very long trips. would be nice to stay in touch with the world, if need be, where every we are.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:07 AM   #8
Top Contributor

personally i dont have anything on my Nomad, Im old school and like all the outside sounds not music. if I want music i stay home and listen to my Bose. :-)

Old 03-11-2008, 09:05 AM   #9

I was a radio broadcaster for 20 years. I was so burned out when I finally got out of the business that I never even turn on the radio now. We never listen to music when we drive or ride, so it would be a waste of money for us. We have no problem communicating without an intercom, while on the bike.
Having said that, I know there are many folks who really love music while riding. More power to ya!

Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
I installed a stereo in the left saddlebag and mounted the remote on the gastank.I mounted 2 speakers on the handlebars behind the windshield .Sounds good and does not block other vehicle noise like helmet speakers.I just turn my head to talk to my passenger.The radio is good for long rided and I spent no where near $700 for it.
I'd like to see some pictures of the installation, if you have some.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #11

I'm with watchman and Doc on this one as far as music goes. I don't listen to the radio in my truck at all.
I ride the bike for the experience of the sights and sounds of riding.
The intercom on the other hand is a different story. I don't like turning my head to talk to Cindy. I want my eyes on the road ahead. I just bought a Scala Rider Team Set and installed it in the new G-Max 68 helmets I bought over the winter. Don't know how they are going to work as it is not riding season here. The only draw back I can see is the battery's only last 4 hours before needing to be recharged.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #12

Quote:
[quote:9f245gt0]I installed a stereo in the left saddlebag and mounted the remote on the gastank.I mounted 2 speakers on the handlebars behind the windshield .Sounds good and does not block other vehicle noise like helmet speakers.I just turn my head to talk to my passenger.The radio is good for long rided and I spent no where near $700 for it.
I'd like to see some pictures of the installation, if you have some.[/quote:9f245gt0]

Old 03-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #13

Reply to cactus jack .I bought an AM/FM cd player made for a boat with a wired remote and mounted the main unit in the saddle bag wrapped in foam.The remote I mounted on the gastank below the speedometer.I ran speaker wiresup to the handlebars and mounted speakers.The cd skipped some so the unit had an input for an mp3 player so I use it most of the time.Sorry I have no pictures.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

I think CB radios are not as useful these days as they were 20-30 years ago. I do listen to music when I ride. I have speakers inside my Nolan helmet and a 30GB Zune, which I use to listen to talk radio for the traffic reports when I'm in the city and 6000+ mp3s when I'm outside metro PHX. However, I would prefer having an AM/FM tuner with an aux input for my Zune or SD memory card capabilities. It would be nice to have Bluetooth for cellphone use. I do have a Bluetooth earpiece, but have yet to test it on the bike. I ride solo, so pilot-passenger comm isn't a big selling point for me, and neither is bike-bike comm because I doubt any of my riding buddies would buy a setup just to BS with me.

However, it is a pain to deal with the Zune unless I am pulled off on the side of the road. Having a bar mounted volume/channel/mode switch would be very nice.

I know Nolan makes their own headsets, etc for my helmet and haven't looked at them too closely, yet.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 03-11-2008, 12:29 PM   #15
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Reply to cactus jack .I bought an AM/FM cd player made for a boat with a wired remote and mounted the main unit in the saddle bag wrapped in foam.The remote I mounted on the gastank below the speedometer.I ran speaker wiresup to the handlebars and mounted speakers.The cd skipped some so the unit had an input for an mp3 player so I use it most of the time.Sorry I have no pictures.
Thank you. Aren't you worried that a foam-wrapped receiver will get a little hot and fry some components? That would be a concern for me, living where I live. I could probably bake bread in my saddlebags in the summer.

Sorry, but if it isn't too much trouble, would you have the make/model of the receiver?
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060