Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-26-2015, 08:13 AM   #1

Loose front drive-belt pulley

Just had my 2011 Voyager in to the dealer to check out a clunking noise from the engine which I noticed while backing out of my driveway one day with the bike turned off. I also noticed a whine from the left side of the bike which slightly quieted down when I pulled in the clutch. The mechanic found that my front drive-belt pulley was loose, and once tightened it corrected both the clunk and whine.

The service manager said they put in a message to corporate because they'd never seen or heard of the pulley working its way loose (it was also covered under warranty). Might be something to watch for as I'm sure it would have been all kinds of crazy if it came off while riding.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-26-2015, 08:31 AM   #2
Top Contributor

gv550 (Garry) might be along shortly to give his experience of the front pulley coming loose. Have you had the drive belt replaced since the bike was new ? An incorrectly fitted tab washer could have been the cause of the pulley coming loose.

Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

I bought used in January with 32,000 miles on it and according to the maintenance logged in the owner's manual it's the original belt.

Old 04-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #4
Advanced Member

This is a known issue with all belt-drive Vulcans, if not caught soon it will destroy the transmission splines which requires complete tear-down of the engine/clutch/transmission and costs many $. The service manual is very clear about the assembly procedure using molybdenum disulfide grease on the threads and seating surface of the nut and never re-using the tab washer.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 04-27-2015, 10:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gv550 View Post
This is a known issue with all belt-drive Vulcans, if not caught soon it will destroy the transmission splines which requires complete tear-down of the engine/clutch/transmission and costs many $. The service manual is very clear about the assembly procedure using molybdenum disulfide grease on the threads and seating surface of the nut and never re-using the tab washer.
I don't know how much of a "known issue" it is as this the first time I've ever come across one coming loose. If it was replaced by an owner/dealer and then came loose because of faulty assembly, then the fault lies with them.

Login or Register to Remove Ads