Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 AM   #1

newbie questions

I have had my new bike about a month now and been riding it every chance I get, unfortunately the weather hasn't been the best and my riding time has been limited. I have a 05 1600 and it is stock but I am looking forward to making some modifications to it as time and dollars permit.
I do have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help me with. The warning labels are still on the saddlebags and the gas tank and it looks like there is some plastic on the stripes on the side of the saddlebags (saw this on Gadgets page). since the bike is 5 years old do you think I can still remove them or are the "Baked" on and I should leave them alone? The other thing is the Vulcan emblem on the chrome on the windshield is coming loose on the right and left tips, what is the best way to re-attach it?
thanks in advance for any help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-29-2009, 07:40 AM   #2
Advanced Member

newbie questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by semo
I have had my new bike about a month now and been riding it every chance I get, unfortunately the weather hasn't been the best and my riding time has been limited. I have a 05 1600 and it is stock but I am looking forward to making some modifications to it as time and dollars permit.
I do have a couple of questions that maybe someone can help me with. The warning labels are still on the saddlebags and the gas tank and it looks like there is some plastic on the stripes on the side of the saddlebags (saw this on Gadgets page). since the bike is 5 years old do you think I can still remove them or are the "Baked" on and I should leave them alone? The other thing is the Vulcan emblem on the chrome on the windshield is coming loose on the right and left tips, what is the best way to re-attach it?
thanks in advance for any help.
A couple things that were suggested to me for getting the stickers off the saddle bags and tanks... it will help immensely if you can get those stickers heated up via a hair dryer/heat gun or some such device. At that point you may be able to just use your fingernail to lift the sticker off. Another member suggested taking a peice of fishing line and wrapping it around your fingers like you would a peice of dental floss, and working the line under the sticker to 'scrape' it off.

In any event, get the sticker warmed up. Then use something like GooGone to rub off the remaining glue. It'll probably be quite cemented on there after all these years.

Not sure about those strips on the saddlebags- someone else may know. I'd be concerned about taking paint off too.

The emblem is attached to the windsheild with a type of adhesive tape which is likely letting lose. You could try removing the entire emblem, being careful not to pry too forcefully as to not bust the emblem, which is about a $30.00 peice if I recall correctly, and installing some new double-sided adhesive like what is used to affix certain types of body/door moldings to cars. That tape should be available at any decent auto supply store. If you do remove the emblem from the windshield, make sure you're reapplying it to a clean area free from old tape and glue.

Others will have more tips...

Old 10-29-2009, 08:15 AM   #3

newbie questions

Be careful if you use a chemical solvent (alcohol or wd40) to remove the stickers. Mine were quite baked on and I tried some liquid helper and it messed up my finish. Not the paint just the clear.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #4

newbie questions

I used WD 40 to soak the saddlebag and tank stickers and they peeled fairly easily.
If memory serves the fishing line method was suggested for removing tank badges rather than decals.
I would try that on the windshield badge and then replace the adhesive with an automotive adhesive and re-install.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Advanced Member

newbie questions

You may be right on that Larry. I never did try the fishing line method for removing anything... I think Berkely TriLine works best, though. ha

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-29-2009, 11:04 AM   #6

newbie questions

As for the clear plastic on the saddlebag strips, It is just a protective thing for shipping. Just peel them off.
I'm talking about the thin clear stuff, not the actual strip. ;)
Just a side note, the fishing line will probably be OK on the windshield emblem as it has chrome under it. I removed the Kawasaki emblem on my side cover this way and left marks in the paint.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-29-2009, 12:51 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
newbie questions

I'd stay away from the "goo gone" or "goof off" .... they just might screw with the finish. A hair dryer worked well for the stickers, for me.
And if you/when you reattach the emblem with that auto tape....and the surface is clean, you'll get one chance at putting it on. I attached a badge to my trunk and even though I used very little pressure, once the tape "kissed" the surface, it was there to stay. I was glad I took the extra time to know exactly where I wanted it placed. Great stuff though. It has never shown any sign of coming loose. Good luck.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png