Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-13-2007, 01:28 PM   #1

Bike Down

It's 7/7/7, the luckiest day in the year. I'm headed home from a nice day ride, PGR mission, and leisurely rolling along hwy 146S. Just past FM=517, the highway narrows to two lands with a right lane going to avenue "T"

I noticed a truck parked on the Southbound side, facing North. Oncoming traffic was light, two vehicles approaching. I could not tell if the stopped vehicle was empty or occupied. as the last approaching vehicle traveling North passed the stopped vehicle, the stopped vehicle pulled out to go north. I now saw the person in the vehicle to be youngish, long brownish hair, wearing a red cap looking over his right shoulder for any other oncoming traffic, as he was 2/3 to 3/4 into the Southbound lane he finally decided to look to his left. His mouth dropped open as he saw me on my bike trying to swerve to avoid a t-bone into his side. There is no reason to believe that the course of action I took was not the correct action. Sliding or any other action would have resulted in being under his vehicle.

So, he broad-sided me with the front of his truck on my right side. I slid 30-50 feet, right palm on the ground, burning flesh, and my helmet digging into the asphalt. Half way through the slide I said to myself, "I'm glad I'm wearing my helmet!"

It was a hit and run. He never stopped. Now typically hit and run are not caught, but that nice new Nomad with 1800+ miles on it, grabbed and knocked off his front license plate. They got him the next morning and now it is turned over to the criminal investigators.

Since I'm typing this, I'm alive. Spent Saturday through Wednesday at UTMB medical branch in Galveston. Although I am home now, I am in pain, cannot walk because of a broken bone in foot, have multiple road rash abrasions on both hands, up my right forearm to my shoulder, and along my right thigh and lower leg. a sore right shoulder, and my left shoulder was undergoing rehab for rotator cuff surgery. And yes, it all hurts like heck. took a few hours henpecking to get this typed. don't expect any long replies for a few more days.

Semper Fi!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2007, 01:36 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to trevwales
Bike Down

Really sorry to hear that, you take it easy and get well in time. Don't rush it!

Old 07-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #3

Bike Down

sorry to hear that. The first thing I thought of was that commercial "Hurt in a car wreck? One call, Thats all, Attorney Craig Swapp got me $140,000"

1-800-THE LAWYER

Old 07-13-2007, 04:11 PM   #4

Bike Down

Damn! I always hate hearing anything like that! I know you've heard it a thousand times already, but as you said YOU ARE ALIVE, and you'll be up and riding again soon!

Old 07-13-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Bike Down

Wayenm, That sucks I hope they nail the little bastard. Rest easy and heal up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #6

Bike Down

Sorry Brother, Like they Say "beats the Alternative". My prayers are with you for a speedy recovery. I do remember the area you're talking about I worked that area in 67-68. Had a friend shot and killed by a Traffic Contact in 1969 on Hwy 146. His name was Norman Zator. We were THP and I had just transfered to Dallas.

Old 07-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #7

Bike Down

Dang Wayne. Sorry to hear you were hurt, and glad it wasnt worse. Hopefully the punk will get what he deserves and not just a slap on the wrist.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:27 AM   #8

Bike Down

Really sorry to hear about your accident. Wishing you a speedy recovery and and chance to get out and ride again soon. That rotator cuff problem is bad for biking, I have one too and it sure hurts on long rides with the hands in that position for so long. Take care of yourself, hope the body repairs quickly.
Wayne
Night Flight
VBA#01280
KawiNow #1280
DarkSide#315
Patriot Guard
Army Vet

Old 07-14-2007, 10:08 AM   #9

Bike Down

Waynem,

I don't know you except from reading your posts here on the messages boards. Still it's always disheartening to hear a fellow biker has gone down, and even more so when it is at the hands of a would-be murderer. That hole left you for dead and should be sued and prosecuted accordingly.

You said "His mouth dropped open as he saw me on my bike trying to swerve to avoid a t-bone into his side. There is no reason to believe that the course of action I took was not the correct action. Sliding or any other action would have resulted in being under his vehicle."

I may take some flack for this as someone always has a story. However I will say it is my experience that it is never the right course of action to "lay it down" as so many have said as that was the only way to avoid an accident. Isn't laying it down an intentional crash, come on. You were absolutely and unarguably correct to attempt to swerve to avoid the crash. We are always better off attempting to stop, swerve, ride ourselves out of a situation then we are crashing on purpose. You did the right thing brother, don't second guess that.

Pray you heal quickly and completely and come back quickly to enjoy the ride. Hope that punk who couldn't care less about you gets exactly what he deserves, huge insurance payout to you and jail time for him.

Regards and God Bless,

Stewart
VBA #60
2009 Vulcan Nomad 1700 - Black

Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 PM   #10

Bike Down

You're absolutely right regarding the lay-it-down vs the swerve options. Remember, you can only control direction and reduce your speed, when you're upright and braking. When you lay it down "voluntarilly", you've given up control, and only friction will reduce your speed. Staying upright and braking, for even a few more feet, will significantly reduce your impact speed, if you hit. Staying upright still gives you a chance to avoid impact, or at least, chose a lessor item to impact into.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:43 PM   #11

Bike Down

waynem - oh my god. i was actually wondering why you hadn't been on-line lately. i am so happy to hear that your ok. i can only echo the same sentiments as my fellow riders and say i hope they throw the book at the creep who hit you and then throw it again for leaving you for dead on the side of the road. what the heck is wrong with folks young or old there is no excuse. sue the crap outta of him - if nothing more to teach a lesson. i am extremely p'oed about this...but i'm happy you are doing ok.

seems like this wasn't a good week for some of us...i went down yesterday morning on the way to work. broke my collarbone, but other than that, i'm doing ok. thank god for helmut laws cause i must have skidded some cause helmet has skid marks from the ear to the middle of helmet. i too swerved to avoid hitting vechicle in front of me when traffic came to sudden dead stop in front of me after i had just merged lanes. if anyone is familiar with dc traffic it was b--ch out there yesterday. anyway bike is fine sustained minimal damage and husband was able to ride from the tow company to shop. he said its riding fine.

anyway i managed not to hit anything so it's a matter of getting me and the bike back on the mind. so i guess i'll be joining you for awile on the henpeck circuit. i am so disappointed, because i had a couple of really nice loong rides coming up :'( as long as i'm in pain, i will probably be alright - but heaven help me if i start feeling better and the bike gets back from shop and is just sitting there waiting for me to ride her. hubby is already getting irritated cause i'm up moving about and even went out for an hour or two today. i am just not a homebody when it's nice beautiful day - my riding friends are all going points north,south,east and west from here; and i'm sitting here in the house pecking on this computer with one dang finger and only able to use one dang hand - so sad, hence this long dang post.

ok i don't know much about the difference or whether it's better to swerve or lay it down, but i chose to swerve. is this why i have minimal damage to bike - don't know. this is the first time i've gone down in the 3 yrs i've been riding - except dirt bikes when i was a kid and scooters when on vacations. whose to say except i'm alive, grateful and the bike's not in too bad of shape.

lastly, friday the 13th and realized i lost my ride bell a few days before accident...anyone believe in omens or bad karma.

Old 07-14-2007, 10:17 PM   #12

Bike Down

Hey DIP,
My post here was not to entice others to have an accident, but to prevent one. I'm sorry to hear about your broken bones. I broke my shoulder blade on Mar 16, 2007, when I totaled my 2004. I just heard from the insurance company that I totaled this one also. Guess I should get one with training wheels. :-)

Thank you all for the kind words. I don't know what type of insurance he has yet as the accident report is not complete. I do know that it was turned over the CI aand I'm hoping the press charges and go all the way with prosecutioin. If he had stopped, even if he had not been able to render aid, it would be different, but to run means you are trying to hide something. Personally I think he may have been drinking and that is the reason they could not find him at his house until the next morning. Guess that will never be proven. If I'm not mistaken, hit and run in Texas is a felony. Let's wait and see.

Y'all be carefull out there. If you are ever in the Galveston County area, looke me up.
409-948-6843

Semper Fi!

Old 07-15-2007, 07:53 AM   #13
VBA Founder

Bike Down

Waynem,
I'm just glad you're alive! I hate it that that happened, but at least your still here to live and post again. I'm also glad they caught the guy. Maybe some closure will come.

Heal up my friend and take your time. My thoughts are with you.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-15-2007, 07:55 AM   #14
VBA Founder

Bike Down

dip,
I'm very sorry to hear about your mishap. My thoughts are with you and I hope you heal up quickly.

Trip
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 07-16-2007, 02:37 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Bike Down

Waynem,

I'm really sorry to hear about your accident, I know you were mad about a lot of things, mostly about having your bike with only 1800 miles on it wrecked!

The best thing is you are here to tell us about it, the rat b@$*&^d got caught and you will recover physically.

Out of curiosity, what style helmet were you wearing?

Glad you're here with us.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD