Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 PM   #1

RAIN

RI called out the national guard today because of flooding and roads caving in after almost 10 inches of rain in two days. Rt 95 which is the main highway connecting FL to ME is closed in certain areas. Cars are floating away and the two biggest malls in the state have enough water in the parking lots that you can only see roofs of some cars left behind. Rain stopped early today but rivers are still flowing over.

As far as I'm concerned my house is lucky enough to have not had any problems, but many have feet of water in their basements. In the last 100 yrs the rain has broken all records. History in the making that I'd rather not have seen.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2010, 07:04 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

RAIN

I did wonder after seeing the news... Good you are dry...

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-31-2010, 07:26 PM   #3

RAIN

Glad you made out OK flavor. Many didn't.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 03-31-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

RAIN

I've been watching that on the national news. Looks like quite a mess, but glad to hear you're ok.

Old 03-31-2010, 08:35 PM   #5

RAIN

Good to hear you are still high and dry. The weather sure has been bizarre this past year. So much of the storms we normally get have been passing south of the border. We have been experiencing some amazing days up this way for the month of March, and little snow through most of the winter.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-31-2010, 10:15 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
RAIN

Glad you are okay. If it continues you may have to fit the Nomad with pontoons and paddlewheels. Good luck with that.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 04-01-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
RAIN

Flavor I have been following the situation on the national news. Glad you didn't sustain any damage. Which part of Rhode Island do you live. Is it Cranston? I was stationed on a ship at Newport for three years. Beautiful state you have there. Some of my best times were spent there.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 04-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #8

RAIN

First thanks to all for your thoughts. There's a lot of people that are in tough shape.

Alabama I'm in the central part of the state and west as well so I'm south of Cranston. I seem to be far enough from rivers and streams that I'm not in bad shape. 10 minutes of cleanup with water coming through the foundation so it's not a problem. I wish I could say when I bought my house I took this type of problem into consideration, but I can't. The other thing is that many people have flooded basements now. Since I have a split level ranch I don't go as deep in the ground so I guess that's a benefit at this point.

When I go out on the NAD I'll really have to watch what direction. because I might face...."can't get there from here".

I seem to remember being near the VT NH border maybe 4 or 5 yrs ago when the rain swelled the rivers and streams where it took out small towns. This is a lot worse I wold say.

What wacky weather this yr seems to be, and not just on the local level. Nationally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
Flavor I have been following the situation on the national news. Glad you didn't sustain any damage. Which part of Rhode Island do you live. Is it Cranston? I was stationed on a ship at Newport for three years. Beautiful state you have there. Some of my best times were spent there.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

RAIN

All the water ways here are filled too. In Merideth there is a bronze statue of a Indian just out in Lake Winnie. last winter we walked there on ice, and had to step up about 2 feet on a stome wall to go see that statue, where I could and did touch it.

Yesterday that statues mocasins were wet. The pond out back is pretty full, not as much as 3 years ago, but still pretty full, and the brook on the other out back is boiling, all pretty typical for here.

The weather is screwy and it appears as there maybe more maple sap to get boiled. I don't know where I will get that time now, but I need to get it done. Not to sure if it will make a decent product or not though.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it