Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad2010 View Post
Well we did day #2 on the bike yesterday (about 250 miles). It again validated my decision to have this done.
Sounds great. Gettin' mine Ivanized two weeks from Wednesday. Looking forward to it. The bike runs OK, but it is not optimized. If it stops spit'n, sputterin', & jerkin', I'll be happy. A little more response will be icing on the cake.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
Advanced Member

Bike temp after re flash

While my bike runs cooler it is usually around the middle now (just above or below) when I am cruising at highway speeds. It is never that low unless it is just warming up. Am I the only one???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Goblin View Post
Made a very noticeable difference on my Vaquero. You can see where the needle is now and red line is where it was before being Ivanized. The only time I see it get that far right now is when I'm stuck in traffic for a lengthy period.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
While my bike runs cooler it is usually around the middle now (just above or below) when I am cruising at highway speeds. It is never that low unless it is just warming up. Am I the only one???

I'm the same as your readings

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-30-2016, 12:51 PM   #19
Advanced Member

Thx for reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
I'm the same as your readings

Old 06-01-2016, 03:38 PM   #20
Advanced Member

A big part of getting these 1700s to run significantly cooler is to trash the stock pipes and intake doing both and let your bike breathe. With BAK and 2-1 pipe, and Ivan tune, cruising along at 70+ in 6th mine temp wise is below the mid point somewhere between the first mark and the middle and only gets to the center or a little above in traffic stalled at a traffic light.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-01-2016, 07:57 PM   #21
Advanced Member

I have exhaust and KN filter and mine doesn't run that cool in traffic

Old 06-02-2016, 10:29 AM   #22
Advanced Member

Lumberjack you need to get rid of the stock air intake altogether because even with the K&N filter in there it doesn't help that much. I tried that when I first got my bike two years ago. Getting the air to go into the motor right at the throttle body lets the engine breathe like it should and it is a direct shot and goes in a little cooler that way, along with much more power. The Ivan tune helps and as I mentioned, so does engine "ice" racing coolant. I went through all these steps and it made a world of difference, and so does putting down some miles. After these motors loosen up some from extended mileage (say over 10,000 or so) they start to run cooler.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 06-02-2016, 12:07 PM   #23
Advanced Member

I have a Thunder BAK and just waiting for the gasket and not pulling it off twice before install. Hope that helps - thanks

Old 06-02-2016, 06:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumberjack View Post
I have a Thunder BAK and just waiting for the gasket and not pulling it off twice before install. Hope that helps - thanks
Let us (me) know if your temps drop more after switching to the Thunder from the K&N...

Curious minds...
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-08-2016, 01:32 PM   #25

is the thunder gasket a must on a brand new machine? I've read some say the leak has been fixed on the 14 and newer models. can anyone confirm.

Old 06-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #26
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
is the thunder gasket a must on a brand new machine? I've read some say the leak has been fixed on the 14 and newer models. can anyone confirm.
Maybe not necessary, but it was simple to do especially for $6 . I looked at it as an ounce of prevention. My 2014 Vaq had maybe 1000 miles on it when done. Now has 13,500 miles and runs like a champ.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 06-09-2016, 09:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
Better to use it knowing you have a good seal than wonder about it or find out later that you don't. I coated mine with some gasket dressing so it would stick in place while I attached the breather back plate. I also had to trim the gasket a little because it partially covered two of the holes that the screws go through.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:23 PM   #28
Advanced Member

it's only $6 but shipping is $20 if that is the only thing you are buying.

Old 06-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #29

I used a Thunder gasket early on, but it ripped when taking the OEM intake out to install my BAK. Since then, I don't bother. An excellent seal can be obtained using a liquid gasket like Threebond 1211, with the added benefit that it all fits a little bit better without being packed out so much with gasket material.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Maybe not necessary, but it was simple to do especially for $6 . I looked at it as an ounce of prevention. My 2014 Vaq had maybe 1000 miles on it when done. Now has 13,500 miles and runs like a champ.
Noted, I didn't order by thunder BAK from them I went thru Phat Performance I'll keep my fingers crossed for now.

I installed my Ivanized ECU and even though my bike only had 10 miles on I instantly noticed a difference in how smooth it runs, cooler it runs and the throttle response seems so snappy now. very happy with my Vaquero purchase!