Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #16

The Classics have dual stators also. I used a 1600 Classic motor in a Nomad and it was identical.

MT
VBA 936

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #17
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS Tequila View Post
The Classics have dual stators also. I used a 1600 Classic motor in a Nomad and it was identical.

MT
I have only seen Classic's with 1 rec reg so i assumed they had one stator.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-18-2014, 03:19 PM   #18

windsheild

will a winsheild and brackets off a 2001 nomad 1500 fit a 2000 classic 1500 ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 977719_590272621007251_924403831_o.jpg (20.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by KIPBERRY19; 03-19-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Patricia (my wife) has a K&N filter, V&H straight shots, and no other mods on her '06 1600 Classic. It has almost identical HP and torque as my '06 1600 Nomad with Chuckster's Custom's single plate intake, K&N filter, V&H Dual Bagger's, PCIII (mapped), Double dark side. They are both fun to ride. I still prefer my Nomad, she still prefers her Classic.
I think it's a "to each their own" matter.
This tells me the car tires are holding you back
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 03-18-2014, 06:12 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPBERRY19 View Post
Can't answer this but i know the Nomad OEM windshild frame is different from the Classics. I was going to buy one but when i held it up to my Classic front end the mounts wouldn't fit.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'05 1600CL. Originator 18" Harley wheel mod, Dobeck TFI, True Duals, Mutazu hardbags, Flanders handlebars n' a bunch more.
Sometimes I miss the good ol' days but most times I'm just glad I survived them

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-18-2014, 06:53 PM   #21

Welcome back last years news. :) This thread jumped from 7-24-2013 all the way to today.

BTW Tim, "Almost" as in "not quite". And those tires are as historic as this thread (since we get to ride all winter here). I now have a stock sized Avon Cobra on the front, and a Hankook 195/60-16 Dark Side on the back. Patricia has been riding Grace more lately and has decided that if/when I ever trade up. She wants to take over the Nomad.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIPBERRY19 View Post

I don't believe they will...........the forks/triple trees are different and the mount part numbers are different. I have an 05 1500 Classic FI and considered a shield for a while. Finally went with a fairing off a 80' HD FLH.

Last edited by duffy; 03-19-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Old 06-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac View Post
Nomads have 2 stators and 2 rec regs, basically 2 charging systems and is the only bike I am aware of that does. I am not sure if gear ratios are different but they may well be. I know the meanie is lower geared for a bit more low end pop.
The Classic FI and Nomad (1500s) both have the dual stators for heavier electrical loads. Drifter and Meanie are single stator.
I actually had Guy Mobbley change my Drifter electricals over to Nomad years ago.
My Classic is an '06 Anniversary I bought new, I bought a 2005 Drifter 1500 new the same year. I recently added a 1500 Nomad to the fleet several months ago.
The Classic will run circles around the 'Nad and Drifter. I don't know what's unique about it, whether the year, the cam grind or what it is that makes this bike run the way it does. If I knew, I'd do whatever it is the the rest of them.
Guy told me the biggest difference on the ECUs between Drifter and Classic is how much ignition advance they bring on and when. Drifter advances approx. 28 degrees at about 10% of throttle. Classic has less total advance and applies it at around 20% throttle. He also told me that if I ever experienced pinging issue on Drifter, to switch to a Classic ECU for less total advance and slower application via the throttle.
IMO, -that's- why we need to run premium fuel; it's not because we have such high compression engines, it's the higher degree of ignition advance.

Just thinking out loud here; The Classic is for sale now. If I don't sell it soon, I want to change some things on it. So far every item on the Nomad with few exceptions looks to fit the Classic perfectly.
I'm going to have to do something with the Roadhouse Doolie (bagger) exhaust soon because the right muffler has a pinhole leak where the pipe has rusted through. Roadhouse mufflers had something of a unique side-mount mounting system, rather than top-mount, like Nomads and most baggers mount.
I'm thinking of adding Nomad sub frame to accommodate the top mount mufflers (and most likely the bags later). I already have a new set of fishtail mufflers that're also top mount and should bolt right up.

I'm considering also changing the final drive to Meanie, if the MS gear ratio on the final drive is lower (numerically higher) than the stock Classic is.
Nomad will be doing all touring duty and the Classic would be more for day trips, local riding, maybe a weekender...

Anyhow, open to suggestions or info if anyone could confirm that gear ratio difference.
Thanks.

Rok

Old 06-23-2016, 03:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffy View Post
I don't believe they will...........the forks/triple trees are different and the mount part numbers are different. I have an 05 1500 Classic FI and considered a shield for a while. Finally went with a fairing off a 80' HD FLH.

I used that same HD fairing and fabbed up an inner dash out of aluminum since I didn't have the HD inner. The trees are definitely different on the Classic and Nomad. They are actually different between early Classics and later Classics. Mine had a Memphis shades windshield on it and I made some aluminum brackets to attach the fairing to the Memphis Shades windshield brackets.

"Ride hard or stay home" Joe Robinson aka Old Dog, R.I.P

Old 06-23-2016, 03:59 AM   #25
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
They are both fun to ride! The only "real" difference. . . My wife's '06 1600 Classic has Michelin Commander II's front and rear, and my '06 Nomad is Double Dark side.
Mark what darkside skin do you run on the front? Size and manufacture I looked around before I put the Commander II on the front, I wasn't able to find a skin that would replace the front tire for my Vaq.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.