Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 03-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #1

Question Steering Lock, Popping and Running Hot

Hey guys,

I just purchased a 2011 black Vaquero and I have come across a few issues in the first 300 miles I am hoping the forum can help me with.

1. I can not engage the steering lock when parking the bike. With the handlebar turned all the way to the left, the ignition switch will only turn about half way between "OFF" and "LOCK" and the key can not be removed at this position. What am I doing wrong?

2. The bike was a demo that had Cobra pipes already installed. I am noticing alot of popping during deceleration. Is this normal? Can anything be done to fix it?

3. The bike seems to run really hot. It consistently gets within two ticks from the red and I am concerned it may eventually cause damage to the engine. Is this normal? Can anything be done to help it stay cooler besides going faster?

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #2

You may have an exhaust leak causing the popping sound, and you should check the coolant level to make sure that its up. Perhaps its not hot, the gauge may just read that way.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #3

My old 2009 Nomad sometimes had to have the steering wiggled a little to get the forks to lock. Take the rest of your complaints to the dealer. The bikes brand new you shouldn't have to deal with this.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 03-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #4
Advanced Member

The handlebar needs to be positioned slightly less than all the way to the left, keep a bit if pressure on the key while slowly moving the handlebar.
If riding slow or stopped in traffic the temp gauge will read near the red, and should read about half when riding at 50 mph or so. Unless the needle actually gets in the red don't worry about it.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 03-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #5
Top Contributor

The general consensus is that the temp gauge "clocking" is off.
Rather than read in the middle of the gauge when the engine is at normal opearating temperature the gauge reads higher than half way. I dont think anyone has ever had their bike in the red zone although it will climb while in traffic. Dont sweat it, its normal.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-28-2012, 10:43 PM   #6

Thank you for all of the replies. I tried the "handlebar wiggle" and was able to lock the fork with relative ease.

I'll take everybody's advice about the temp gauge and just keep a close eye on it. It does run cooler when at highway speeds so I think what I am experiencing seems to be "normal" for this bike.

Now if I can just get the backfiring issue resolved. Going to try to get up to the dealer this weekend and see what he has to say. Just hope I don't get the run around because the exhaust is aftermarket. They sold me the bike with the aftermarket exhaust. They should want to try to fix it, correct? We'll see.

Thanks again.

Big Nate

Old 03-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnklem View Post
Thank you for all of the replies. I tried the "handlebar wiggle" and was able to lock the fork with relative ease.

I'll take everybody's advice about the temp gauge and just keep a close eye on it. It does run cooler when at highway speeds so I think what I am experiencing seems to be "normal" for this bike.

Now if I can just get the backfiring issue resolved. Going to try to get up to the dealer this weekend and see what he has to say. Just hope I don't get the run around because the exhaust is aftermarket. They sold me the bike with the aftermarket exhaust. They should want to try to fix it, correct? We'll see.

Thanks again.

Big Nate
My stock exhaust popped on decel, my modified-stock popped, and my custom stuff pops. I "marbled" a tube in the air intake, but need to double check it stayed I guess. Maybe there's some other air that needs to be blocked?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:27 PM   #8

Unfortunately, with the lean running conditions programmed into the ECM from the factory, with aftermarket mufflers, you'll get popping on decel. Adding an aftermarket fuel control module (like a PC5) will reduce the popping to a minimum.
2011 Vaquero-sold

Old 03-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #9

I was thinking along the same lines as azcruizer, plus it is my understanding a lean running bike will run a little hotter than one running rich.
VBA #01806
Central IL Vulcan Riders

Old 03-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #10

IMO the popping on decel wont be helped too much by a programmer, its fresh air in the exhaust igniting unburnt fuel. The 2 ways that allow air in are an exhaust leak or, on purpose for EPA compliance. I found on my voyager a 1/2" brass PEX plug will fit in the air box hole very snug with no need for glue. A 3/4" pex plug will also fit snug in the hose itself which i double secured with a zip tie. A 1/4 pipe tap NPT will easily tap the air box hole and you can install a pipe plug just do it off the bike to prevent any shaving going into the throttle intake. The pipes will run cooler with this marbling mod but the bike will run the same temp. Maybe the dealer wont disengage the air switching valves so its worth a try
VBA# 01997