Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-14-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Vaquero Pipes

What seems to be the most popular aftermarket pipe choices?? Thanks in advance for your help; I do not have this bike but someone who is considering a Vaquero wants to know, hey maybe another member soon.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-14-2012, 04:39 PM   #2

cobra or vance&hines both have slip ons for the vaquero.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #3

I put on the VH propipe Chrome. It saved weight over the dual exhausts, it was easy to install and gave more power. The sound is....well loud! The optional quiet baffle would not go on as the instructions were for an older version of the pipe. So we made it fit, but not much sound change, it also backfires a lot but i think I missed a step somewhere so am getting some tech help. I also put on a K&N replacement filter and a Cobra Fi2000 Powrpro tuner, you really need some sort of of tuner to really get the power advantage from the pipes. So I need to get the back firing situation addressed and I'm still looking for an aftermarket air cleaner. the power band and power are much better than stock.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Did the Powrpro tuner help with the backfire ?
Are the Cobra Powrpro tuners worth the $500+ ?

Last edited by redjay; 07-29-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Ive seen some Tri Ovals on someones bike here, and they look really neat.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-02-2012, 09:05 PM   #6

can't address the back fire apparently there is a tube I need to block off, yes the CVT is worth it.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #7

I just put the CVT on my Vaquero after installing the cobra triovals- cant get rid of the popping on trailing throttle around 2000 rpms. Talked to brad at cobra and they don't have real answers yet either- unique issue on the 1700 kawasaki engine specifically the vaquero and nomad models. If there is a tube to block off I'd love some guidance

Old 08-03-2012, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav012 View Post
I just put the CVT on my Vaquero after installing the cobra triovals- cant get rid of the popping on trailing throttle around 2000 rpms. Talked to brad at cobra and they don't have real answers yet either- unique issue on the 1700 kawasaki engine specifically the vaquero and nomad models. If there is a tube to block off I'd love some guidance
I have a Vaquero with V&H slip ons, Thunder air kit and PCv with custom map and there are still some small backfires but I have to work at it to get them. If you still have the stock air cleaner, look in the right side cover and at the upper left you will see a small hole which can be blocked off and this may help some with the backfiring but my experience has been the whole package (pipes, intake, PCv) and a RacnRay throttle mod will yield best results both for driveability, mileage, performance and minimal backfiring.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #9

Waving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav012 View Post
I had the same issue when I installed my Cobra True Duals Billet Cut with the Cobra CVI PowerPro fuel processor and K&N filter and was dissapointed until I got the information on the marble modifications. If you go on the Nomad 1500/1600 site and research marble modifications you will see how it is done on the 2005-2008 Nomads. I would assume it is close to the same mod for your bike. After I got the information it took me less than 10 minutes to do the mod and I now LOVE the way this bike sounds and performs. No more constant popping on decel - it really sounds good and rumbles when I want it to.

Eagleman
VBA# - 01172
2006 Vulcan Nomad Green/Silver

But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength. They shall mount up with wings like eagles:
they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint - Isaiah 40:31

Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #10

What is a Racenray throttle mod ? I hate to sound dumb but it is what it is

Old 08-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by old dog View Post
What is a Racenray throttle mod ? I hate to sound dumb but it is what it is
It is a modification of the throttle tube which takes the slack out of the "fly by wire" system of the Vulcans. Throttle lag is removed by this modification and the bike will respond to throttle input instantly. There are several threads referring to this modification done by RacnRay a forum member from Florida.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:23 PM   #12

Cobra/Vance & Hines Slip-on Dyno Comparison

As was mentioned earlier the V&H slash-cut slip-ons or the Cobra Tri-ovals.

Here is a comparison of the H.P./torque increases over stock mufflers of those slip-ons performed on two totally stock Vaquero's on my dyno.

@1500 RPM......COBRA +1.2 HP/+4.4 PNDS ......V&H+1.3 HP/+4.5 PNDS

@2000 RPM......COBRA +.6 HP/+1.4 PNDS...........V&H +.7 HP/+1.6 PNDS

@2500 RPM......COBRA +2.1 HP/+4.5 PNDS...........V&H+2.2 HP/4.7 PNDS

@3000 RPM......COBRA +2.8 HP/+5 PNDS............V&H+3.7 HP/+6.4 PNDS

@3500 RPM......COBRA+3.2 HP/+4.7 PNDS..........V&H+4.5 HP/+6.7 PNDS

@4000 RPM......COBRA +2.2 HP/+2.8 PNDS..........V&H+4.4 HP/+5.7 PNDS

@4500 RPM......COBRA +2.4 HP/+2.9 PNDS ..........V&H+4.5 HP/+5.2 PNDS

@5000 RPM......COBRA +2.4 HP/+2.5 PNDS ..........V&H+4 HP/+4.2 PNDS

@5500 RPM ......COBRA 2.6 HP/+2.4 PNDS............V&H+2.6 HP/+2.4 PNDS

The Tri ovals are a far more restrictive slip-on as they do not have a straight thru core as does the V&H slip-ons. The V&H's are deffinately louder with more of a "bark", the Tri ovals are very mellow in comparison.

We just modified a Vaquero with the Tri-ovals, a BAK and PCV, we did not get the gains in peak power as I have seen due to the Tri-ovals restrictive design. My modified Cobra round slip-ons I had on last year with straight-thru baffles to replace the restrictive baffles that came with those slip-ons made more power thru the whole rpm range, these big twins need to BREATH!!

Bottom line, if you want an increase in power, both brands will do just that. It then comes down to cost, appearance, sound levels and how important the actual power increase over stock that is provided by each slip-on.

RACNRAY

Old 08-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Ray --- Are the increased hp/torque numbers cumulative? Like, at 2k rpms, is there a 1.8 hp gain total? And at 3k is there a 6.7 hp gain total? If the most you'll gain is 3.2 hp (with the Cobras) it sort of seem like a waste.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Ray --- Are the increased hp/torque numbers cumulative? Like, at 2k rpms, is there a 1.8 hp gain total? And at 3k is there a 6.7 hp gain total? If the most you'll gain is 3.2 hp (with the Cobras) it sort of seem like a waste.
No, they are not cumulative. The numbers represent the actual gain over stock at that exact rpm.

What the dyno does not measure is the improvement in throttle response WE FEEL as a result of the increae in power and torque.

RACNRAY

Old 02-14-2015, 11:21 AM   #15

Freedom performance true duals is the loudest pipe out there for the vaquero and come with a drag strip look and sound.