Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-24-2011, 09:05 AM   #16

The hole fr the plastic trim may be strong enough depending on how much weight it needs to support. If it just has to hold something still it may be strong enough. You could always drill it out larger and tap it so it accepts a larger bolt.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2011, 09:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringadingh View Post
The hole fr the plastic trim may be strong enough depending on how much weight it needs to support. If it just has to hold something still it may be strong enough. You could always drill it out larger and tap it so it accepts a larger bolt.
Or you could drill them out and install a long hardened bolt all the way through the frame. I think you be supprised at the breaking strength (tensile strength) of a grade 8 1/4 inch bolt.
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Old 12-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #18

Having bent more than one frame in the same area, I would be really nervous about removing any material around stress points. That makes using existing holes and/or tapping them out sound a lot safer than making a new hole in a non-reinforced area. Safety before beauty. I'm not personally inclined toward farings, so for me it's a moot point.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-24-2011, 11:22 AM   #19
Sr. Contributor

Do you have the main mounting bracket from HD? That might be able to be modified to work or be a source of inspiration. BTW, that's some crack in your garage floor.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 12-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #20
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
Having bent more than one frame in the same area, I would be really nervous about removing any material around stress points. That makes using existing holes and/or tapping them out sound a lot safer than making a new hole in a non-reinforced area. Safety before beauty. I'm not personally inclined toward farings, so for me it's a moot point.
I suppose he could weld something on it.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #21
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Might as well start a thread about the Tour Glide fairing. I'd add it to the mods thread I already started but this is a huge project all by itself and needs it's own thread. ...
...The fairing needs to come back about 2" but I'll need to make sure there's enough room with the forks turned full lock. As it is, it's quite a stretch to where the radio will be. Also, the glove boxes won't open fully with the handle bars straight. A nice set of ape hangers should fix that nicely as that should make the upright part of the bars straighter. (It'll also solve that outstretched arms, bending over problem.)

I hope to work on it a bit more tomorrow. I'd like to get the rest of the bolts needed (never knew the lower mounts took shoulder bolts) and the fairing moved back over the weekend aswell as measuring for the center mount. Once that's done, I can take the fairing off and remove the tank in preparation for the rest of the winter mods and wiring for the fairing.
What about using risers that have pull back?
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Old 12-24-2011, 11:37 AM   #22
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markclark57 View Post
How did you wind up bending multiple frames. These things have allot of steel to them, and seem set to take some abuse.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:42 AM   #23
Top Contributor

The next time you take the tank off it will be easy. Personally I dont think I would be drilling any holes in the frame. Cant you use the front downtubes or the crash bars to mount a bracket for the fairing ? The plastic covers are cosmetic, just there to clean up the look of the frame neck and protect cables etc.

I would think the holes that hold them on are small, 6mm or less ?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:57 AM   #24
Advanced Member

While I think there is a bit of paranoia about drilling on the frame (think choppers, compared to these frames) I wouldn't use those little bolts, definitely get grade 8 if you use those holes. Can you fab up something to go across the backbone and utilize that large tank bolt? That won't go anywhere.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #25
Top Contributor

ponch --- I dislike the way risers look. I'll find some apes by spring.

My original intent was to drill holes through the frame then have someone weld steel tubing (I.D. same size as the bolts) in the holes thinking that would keep the frame as strong as new. Someone suggested I might be trying to over engineer it. I have no problem drilling out the holes for the covers. Actually a grand idea as then I would know that those 2 holes would line up. I had considered drilling a couple holes in the down tubes but they're round(ish) so I wasn't sure I could get a solid mount. The only problem with welding tubes to the frame is that I'd need to find someone to come to my house to do the work. I'll do that if it's necessary but if I can safely get away withOUT that, I'm good. I can unbolt something and bolt it back in place (generally without a lot of "extra" parts) but I'm not so good at fabricating stuff.

cocheese --- Someone (krash?) already suggested utilizing the front tank bolt. I want to run the wiring inside the mount so the top needs to be covered. Not sure how I could get a bracket over everthing without removing the forks, triple trees, bars, etc. It's just not worth all that. If you (or anyone) can think of a suggestion, PLEASE let me know. I'd much rather use existing holes, bolts, mounts than drill anything (other than possibly drilling out the cover holes). Less work, less cost, less chance of mismeasuring, less chance of rust, less chance of......etc.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 12-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #26
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
cocheese --- Someone (krash?) already suggested utilizing the front tank bolt. I want to run the wiring inside the mount so the top needs to be covered. Not sure how I could get a bracket over everthing without removing the forks, triple trees, bars, etc. It's just not worth all that. If you (or anyone) can think of a suggestion, PLEASE let me know. I'd much rather use existing holes, bolts, mounts than drill anything (other than possibly drilling out the cover holes). Less work, less cost, less chance of mismeasuring, less chance of rust, less chance of......etc.
I was thinking of a two piece design bolted together. What you already have and another piece of channel over the backbone. If I didn't do that I would use the two bolts like you are thinking about. If the strength of two grade 8 bolts that size would work, that is what I would do, without making the holes any bigger.

It looks like Kawa drilled the holes, inserted bungs, and welded them in there to tap. If you drill them I would not go too much larger. If you did drill, I would get one large grade 8 bolt to go through the whole assembly and put a nut on the other side so as not to depend on the the thickness and threads of the tapped frame.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:05 PM   #27
Top Contributor

I see what you're saying, cocheese. I think I need a center brace that will hold up the fairing all by itself which would require 2 points of connection. I could drill this hole out to 3/8ths or 1/2" and drill another behind it the same size. At least I'd know that MaKaw designed the frame for one of the holes. I'd like to think that once I painted the bracket black, it would be nearly invisible. Too many extra nuts, bolts, etc would detract from the looks. I'm sure I can get safety, functionality and looks all together.

The other consideration is wiring. HD ran the Tour Glide wiring down the side of the original bracket. I understand that most people won't even look inside the fairing but I will. HD got smart(er) on the Road Glide and ran the wiring inside the main bracket.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 12-24-2011, 05:18 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocheese72 View Post
How did you wind up bending multiple frames. These things have allot of steel to them, and seem set to take some abuse.
Not the Nomad . . . Previous machines. I've been riding since 10 y.o.a. not always responsibly. I'm not the only wreck in the deal.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 12-25-2011, 02:40 PM   #29
Top Contributor

I think I figured out a main mount today. Front/sides one piece with 2 bends then a top and bottom welded on mainly for strength. I'll drill out the top hole(s) for the corner covers then I'll only have to drill one more set of holes (one on each side) for a second bolt. (I'll put a bolt all the way through each pair of holes.) What do you think?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2014 Nomad - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Last edited by Monkeyman; 03-06-2012 at 02:40 AM.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:22 PM   #30
Mega-Contributor

I don't think that corrugated paper is strong enough to hold a fairing solidly, and if it ever gets wet....
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17