Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 11-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #1

Need GPS advice

I have a couple questions about GPS.

1> I know the Garmin Nuvi 500 & 550 are listed waterproof. Does anyone else make a waterproof model?

2> Someone mentioned once that they had a GPS that came with route planniing software and that someone at home could log in and track your progress on the route, which one was that?

3> I see that magellan makes one that has AAA options. I am a AAA member but would like to hear from anyone that has used this. Is it worth it?

I know that many have a non waterproof gps unit and just put a bag or something over it. I figure if it rains too much I will probably be pulling over anyway but I need to know before I shop. I will be using this to go to the national rally.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Need GPS advice

I have the TomTom Rider2 and love that GPS. I don't have experience with the others listed, but my TomTom worked like a champ for over 2000 miles back in August.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #3

Need GPS advice

I believe the TomTom were for sale at Walmart's black friday for $59! I'm sure you'd have to get a mount etc, but still not a bad deal.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 11-30-2009, 04:07 PM   #4

Need GPS advice

I use a garmin 765 and you can syncronize it with the harley web page map planner. Just plan out your trip on the harley site and transfer it to your garmin

Old 11-30-2009, 06:07 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Need GPS advice

Paul-

What in the world makes you think your wife is going to let you get far enough away from the house that you'll even need a GPS? HMMMM???

Sorry- couldn't resist!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-30-2009, 08:28 PM   #6

Need GPS advice

OP,

Whatever you do... DO NOT BUY A MAGELLAN!!!!!! I have one and know first hand. Don't ask -- just don't buy one -- period. The AAA feature is useless so you wouldn't be interested in that feature either.

Garmin is the most compatible with routing software (online and offline software).

The ability to pre-program routes into a GPS unit is an important feature for me.

Regarding someone tracking you... not sure you're going to want to pay for a unit that would have that feature. You're likely far better off with just a more basic unit.

One feature you may want to have (and I'll certainly make sure I get one with it) is the ability to "record" a trip. In other words... there is a setting that will begin to record a trip you are on so you can save it for another time when you might want to take the same ride again. Very handy to have.

Regarding "water-proof"... not a big issue in my opinion. Their technically isn't a unit the is "water-proof". They are "water-resistant" -- a big difference. Besides, if you mount it behind your windshield your unit will not get wet. Mine doesn't and never has -- and it isn't water-resistant at all. Also... like you said, if you are in that much rain you'll likely pull over. Otherwise put a plastic bag over it.

Anyway... Garmin will be the one you want to go with.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 12-01-2009, 09:13 AM   #7

Need GPS advice

Thanks Greg. I have seen alot of sales for the Garmin 205 and 250 but I haven't heard any reviews for any models other than the 550 so I was a bit apprehensive to just go buy one.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #8

Need GPS advice

Software and hardware issues with a Garmin 450. I know people that have TOM TOM units, one in particulal has the tom tom rider and zumo 450. He prefers the tom tom as well.

Absolutely terrible consumer cooperation from Garmin as well.................

I commented on my experience with Garmin after my June 8500 mile trip this past summer.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:03 AM   #9

Need GPS advice

I have the Garmin 765T and it has worked well for me......it also has the MP3 player function as well that I use also

Old 12-01-2009, 10:24 AM   #10

Need GPS advice

Oooh I never thought of the MP3 player function that would eliminate me having to add second power outlet. I could leave the ipod at home. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #11
Top Contributor

Need GPS advice

I went with the Garmin 450. I looked at it this way: I dont have to worry about water/moisture/vibration. The others might do just fine and probably would, but I dont have the extra worry. I also don't need bluetooth and got it on ebay for around $400 which included mounts for the bike, power cord, storage case, and I even got the mount to use it in the car for that.

Also, I always used earbuds and a cheaper mp3 player for music....the sound out of this is much superior to my little mp3 player...so I got maps and entertainment in one.

I had to call Garmin when I bought it (mine was used from a dealer on ebay) and they were extremely responsive helping me get the unit un-registered from the previous owner and registered to me. They even called the previous owner while I was waiting on the phone to verify that he sold it.

No issues with the unit. I dont use the mapping software for the computer that came with it.

Todd Frazier
VBA #0003
VBA National Leader-USA Operations/Garage Moderator - RETIRED
2006 Black Nomad since she was born
Greensboro, NC

Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM   #12

Need GPS advice

I have a Garmin Zumo 550. It does more stuff than I even care to use. Never had a problem with Garmin service, I have called twice. They were very helpful. My unit came with everything Todd's came with. It is also bluetooth. I can plan my routes on the Mapsource program that came with it and transfer to the gps. It is also compatible with the Harley trip planning website.
Map source is a pain to learn , at least it was for me. Your intelligence may vary. ;)
May be more than you want to spend, $600+.
I buy the best I can afford. There is one Garmin higher up the price scale but the only difference between that and mine is lane assist. I didn't figure I needed that since the units tell you which direction you have to turn next and I just get in that lane.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #13

Need GPS advice

Zumo 550 on sale for $529. Link is below.

http://www.deltacamera.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 12-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #14

Need GPS advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I have a couple questions about GPS.

2> Someone mentioned once that they had a GPS that came with route planniing software and that someone at home could log in and track your progress on the route, which one was that?
For real-time GPS tracking, I suggest the SPOT 2 ( http://www.findmespot.com/en/ ) which has just been released. I've used it for about a week and my wife likes the idea of tracking me on my rides (she's making sure I stay out of trouble).

Not only can you be tracked, but if you have an emergency, you can call for help through the SPOT 2. This is especially helpful when you're out of cell phone coverage.

If you would like to see my ride from today or for any future rides I might do, just go to: http://tinyurl.com/myspotmap

Quinton

Old 12-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #15

Need GPS advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Zumo 550 on sale for $529. Link is below.

http://www.deltacamera.com/SearchRes...x=0&Search.y=0
Don't do it..........................

Check the other GPS blog I brought back to the surface.