Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-11-2019, 12:20 AM   #61

Follow the link in post 47.

Did not see too many people in the videos following the referenced law.

Can't fix stupid.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #62
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
For all you naysayers on lane splitting we get to do in California what do you tell the people you know that you ride a motorcycle and they tell you how dangerous and stupid you are for riding a motorcycle? (Don't tell me you've never heard it) Are motorcycles more dangerous that cars? YES! I know that. That the opinions fly about lane splitting mean absolutely nothing to those that do it just like the negative opinions on why I ride a motorcycle do.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #63
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjack View Post
What do I get for doing both?
Don't. You'll go blind. Didn't your mother tell you that?

Old 01-17-2019, 01:21 AM   #64

Thoughts?

According to a 2013 study at U.C. Berkeley’s Safe Transportation Research and Education Center (SafeTREC), lane-splitting California riders were 1.8% less likely to suffer a fatal injury and 2% less likely to be struck from behind. Earlier studies from Europe and Australia have made similar conclusions.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sour...47792316011911

Old 02-13-2019, 08:29 PM   #65
Advanced Member

Depends on the conditions of traffic. I avoid Chicago like the plague, especially riding wise. Years ago I turned down head hunters calling me about jobs in Chicago and Detroit, largely because of the traffic crap I didn't want to deal with. If I lived in California, or a state that allowed lane splitting, and I had to deal with that kind of traffic, I would either not ride, not ride those crazy interstates (like that's possible), or lane split. But, in this case lane splitting would be only 10mph faster than what traffic was doing. Certainly not blasting through between lanes at 20+, 30+ or even more. If I had to choose between sitting stationary in traffic, or barely crawling along between 1st and 2nd gear, constantly on/off the clutch, or riding in a more steady state just slightly faster than blocked up traffic, I'd probably opt to lane split.

I survive traffic because, not bragging, I have very high situational awareness skills developed over 45+ years of riding. To do lane splitting requires an even higher level of situational awareness. But, try to impress that upon the common rider only thinking about whatever else he/she has to do OTHER than riding, and that high level of required situational awareness is not used. For those riders lane splitting is not a good idea.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-17-2019, 06:17 PM   #66

I see the california bike cops doing it all the time.....and not too slowly either
VBA member #02543

Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 PM   #67

If you know your bike,and it's capabilities/limitations,you can get in amongst the traffic with no drama.The problems arise when weekend warriors,who only ever ride in straight lines,get involved.They are best advised to just to wait in line.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawvoy View Post
I see the california bike cops doing it all the time.....and not too slowly either
Yeah, well, I see a lot of cops breaking traffic laws all the time.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre-t View Post
Yeah, well, I see a lot of cops breaking traffic laws all the time.
Would you prefer that they obeyed them all,and just let the perpetrators drive off into the distance ?

Old 02-18-2019, 01:59 PM   #70
Advanced Member

I've been involved in motorcycle rider training for 25+ years. I agree that for truly skilled riders with very good situational awareness, lane splitting is a reasonable and logical traffic/risk reduction technique. But, a large percentage of the riding public should not be doing it. Because a large percentage of the riding public have just enough skills to survive a daily ride.