Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 AM   #1

Cobra or V & H??

After extensive reading on the best setup for extra performance from our Nomads, I am now looking at a new exhaust for my Nad, but there seems to be many different opinions as to what is better; Cobra "True Duals" or V&H "Touring Duals".

I'm probably opening a huge can of worms here but have wondering what the forum thinks is better, Cobra or V&H?? Have read/heard all the issues with both: V&H seem to be most popular, but can have fitment issues (heat sheild too short) while Cobra have less baffle options. I know ultimately it will be down to $$$ of personal choice.

As for quietness, I've seen opinions going both way. Just thought I'd ask the question and apologies if it's been discussed before. Would welcome links to threads if this is the case.

Cheers everyone
'08 Vulcan Nomad 1600 - SOLD
'07 Vulcan 900 Custom - SOLD
Ulysses Member #59316
VBA member #01933

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 AM   #2
Top Contributor

V&H look beefier and a bit less "sophisticated" but have more options for baffles. They also have an issue with one of the head pipes cracking. Doesn't happen to every one but has to be welded back up if it happens. I don't know of any fitment issues. The one short heat shield is made that way. You can see a tiny bit of the actual pipe as it crosses under the bike. The pipes themselves are going to blue, you can't avoid it so you see a bit of that. If you had a show bike, it might make a difference. For a daily rider, I don't think it does.

Cobras look sleeker but don't have the baffle options. If you're creative, I'm sure you could figure something out. (Anything's possible given enough time and money.) I've never heard of any cracking issues with the Cobras.

I have the V&H and like 'em. Either set will run you around $500US new. Sometimes you can find a good set used. I got mine when they were barely broken in and paid about 1/3 that.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 02-22-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

I have V&H's on mine, no cracking issues in three years and 20k. The only thing I did to mine was put a heat shield to face where the left pipe crosses in front of the rear tire. I noticed a little pitting and rust starting there after it's first winter storage. Problem solved.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #4

You seem to be aware of the pros and cons already, so it becomes a personal choice. I have the V&H on my bike, they came with it when I bought it, but its also what I would have bought had I been given the choice.
My rear pipe cracked, but welding a patch over it made it stronger than new, and Ive never had a problem since.
I liked the fact that you have a lot of choices with the baffles on them as well.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Cobra isn't as loud but has more quality built into it. That would be my choice if I were buying. Vance and Hines finish doesn't hold up nearly as well as Cobra.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-22-2012, 02:37 PM   #6

I have the Cobra True Duals. They were really nice when they were new. I damaged them a little in a crash and then tried to modify the baffles, that damaged them some more. Then I adapted some modified "Hard Chrome" baffles. Now they sound nice, but the damaged areas can still be seen if you look for them. If I replace them it will be with the V&H

Also, the V&H can usually be found for le$$.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Last edited by markclark57; 02-22-2012 at 02:40 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Cobra pipes don't have a history of breaking, either. That's enough incentive for me.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
How would you rate your cobras Scott? the good and the bad?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack View Post
Cobra pipes don't have a history of breaking, either. That's enough incentive for me.
I guess it could be for a lot of guys, but when you have easy access to repair them yourself it doesn't make a great difference to me.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM   #10
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
How would you rate your cobras Scott? the good and the bad?
I liked them a lot. The only thing I didn't like, and it wasn't their fault, was that I scraped them up a few times after I put the car tire on going in and out of some steep driveways.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #11

I just installed a set of Cobra slashdown true duels this past weekend, and they look & sound great . I looked at the V&H but chose the Cobra's for the simple reason that the pipe going in front of the rear tire looks alittle more complete , as you don't see the bare pipe ( that will turn blue soon ) . And being the fact that everyone seems to have V&H . As for pricing there was about $20 difference between the V&H and Cobra .
VBA # 1736

Last edited by darksider; 02-22-2012 at 04:38 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Can't speak to the V&H. I've got the Cobras and like em fine. They're holding up well, sound alright. Personally I wouldn't change the baffling either way (quieter or louder). They're just about where I like em now. Finish is holding up well. The only problem I have with them is I've drug em going down a steep gutter/curb a few times and you have to keep this in mind in those situations. They've also drug before my floorboards in hard corners at speed. Seems to be just in the odd times when the corner would have a dip or bump in it though. Doesn't do it all the time.

I will say this. Cobra technical support is absoutely outstanding. I found it necessary to email back and forth with one of their TS guys and they were very quick to respond. Super helpful despite the fact I didn't buy the pipes from them (came on the bike purchased used). He knew this and still helped me all the way through my problem. Turned out the problem had nothing to do with the Cobra pipes (suspected it hadn't been jetted for the pipes but turned out it was), but without his help I couldn't have known for sure.

If for no other reason, I'd buy another set of pipes from them in a heartbeat because of their TS dept.

VBA member #01682
Green 1999 Nomad 1500 carb'd 43,000 miles
JOG'd at 20,000, JOG failed at 40,000
SOG'd at 40,000
Darksider

Last edited by danimal2; 02-22-2012 at 04:43 PM.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal2 View Post
Can't speak to the V&H. I've got the Cobras and like em fine. They're holding up well, sound alright. Personally I wouldn't change the baffling either way (quieter or louder). They're just about where I like em now. Finish is holding up well. The only problem I have with them is I've drug em going down a steep gutter/curb a few times and you have to keep this in mind in those situations. They've also drug before my floorboards in hard corners at speed. Seems to be just in the odd times when the corner would have a dip or bump in it though. Doesn't do it all the time.

I will say this. Cobra technical support is absoutely outstanding. I found it necessary to email back and forth with one of their TS guys and they were very quick to respond. Super helpful despite the fact I didn't buy the pipes from them (came on the bike purchased used). He knew this and still helped me all the way through my problem. Turned out the problem had nothing to do with the Cobra pipes (suspected it hadn't been jetted for the pipes but turned out it was), but without his help I couldn't have known for sure.

If for no other reason, I'd buy another set of pipes from them in a heartbeat because of their TS dept.
I'd love to get ahold of Cobra's TS guys. If you have a way to contact them please pass it along. I tried to find a direct link when I was messing with the baffles and only got dead ends.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ

Old 02-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #14

i have owned about 10 sets of cobra pipes on various bikes over the years and they work well for me.never had an issue with any of them.just be sure to get the tru-dauls with billet tips if you want to remove or modify the baffles.
VBA # 745 COG #11621
wheatland,wy.
rallies-custer 09,kalispell 10,crescent city 11,kanab 12,estes park 13,orifino 14.,red lodge 16

2015 ninja 1000 abs
2014 concourse 14
2012 concourse 14-sold
2011 vaquero-sold
2008 nomad-sold
2005 classic-sold

Old 02-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #15

I got the Slash cut to the side. (see sig) Not easily modified.

Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
Phoenix, AZ