Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 03-22-2009, 09:55 PM   #1

Has a re-jetting already been done?

How do i know if it has been re-jetted before I spend $100 on a jet kit?

I just bought a 2001 Nomand 1500 carb.
I bought a gutted goats belly, only to find that the one on the bike I bought had already been gutted.

It still has stock air filters and the pipes still have their baffles.

How do I know if it has been re-jetted before I spend $100 on a jet kit?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #2

You will have to take a carb apart and read the numbers on the jer, Then look in a manual and see what # jet comes stock.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-22-2009, 10:02 PM   #3
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

I think its your avatar............. .

If you buy a jet kit, then you have decided that you are tearing down the carbs (unless you have FI). Once you've torn down the carbs (your doing it anyway right?) then you'll see that the jets in them are either stock by #'s or modified. If your not going to do this mod yourself, save yourself the headache of a dealer ripping you off and leave well enough alone. You'll never know if the dealer did the work unless you have the ability to do this mod yourself.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 03-23-2009, 07:01 AM   #4

Is this jet kit specific to Vulcans? or is it a generic kit with a lot of sizes in it. You will only use a couple sizes for your bike, why not find out what jets others have used to improve performance, and just buy that size. They used to cost around $2.00 - $3.00 each.
Depending on what works best in your area depends on altitude and barometric pressure if you really start getting technical on the tuning.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Unless there are notes in a books or bike papers as to what was done, there is no way to know which jets are in the carb now... people who keep such records are rare.

Sometimes a jet kit isn't exactly right and one has to mess about with several sizes of jets in one and more ranges to get things right. Each jet should have a drill size number, and knowing these numbers helps. I have never worked on Nomad carbs, but assume there are 3 jets.

If all else but the goat belly is stock I wouldn't think you would need to re-jet. If you plan to change the stock exhaust and the intake then you simply must.

Is there a flat spot in twisting the wick now? If there is and it is very slight, you can fool the carb by re-adjusting the float to not shut off as soon.

I also have a 1981 yammi triple with 3 carbs. Jets for this bike are or were 18 bucks each, and there is 9 jets.. these jets are harder to come by, so I changed the main needle setting by adding sterling silver shims, 3 for each needle as it turned out, but I made an installed these one at a time for 3 carbs.. In other words I made one for all 3 carbs and still had need of more fuel so I made 3 more and installed these, and then again.

I also re-adjusted the floats for more fuel, a higher level in the bowls, so engine vacuum could draw more fuel easier.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Login or Register to Remove Ads