Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-12-2009, 08:32 AM   #1

New Avons

Ordered them this morning as I was not happy with the way my Metzlers looked after 7000 miles. That and I wanted the new Cobras and just found a very sweet deall for 300.00 for both for the Nomad. That is the cheapest I have seen. I may get a little more out of the Metzlers but at this price I wasnt going to pass them up.

http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp...&ProdID=498818

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2009, 10:02 AM   #2

New Avons

I think I'll be trying something other than my Metzelers next time around, however I still want to stay with the whitewalls and that really limits my choices a lot. I seem to get good mileage out of the 880's but the bike has a front end shake when you let go of the bars for a second. I havn't been able to cure that despite checking everything on the front end. Ive been thinking it could be the 880's, so next time around I'll try something different.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Advanced Member

New Avons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I think I'll be trying something other than my Metzelers next time around, however I still want to stay with the whitewalls and that really limits my choices a lot. I seem to get good mileage out of the 880's but the bike has a front end shake when you let go of the bars for a second. I havn't been able to cure that despite checking everything on the front end. Ive been thinking it could be the 880's, so next time around I'll try something different.
My bike does the same thing with the stock Stones. Valdez found a way to cure the wobble on his bike. Send him a PM & have him explain what he did....

Old 01-12-2009, 05:10 PM   #4

New Avons

Damn, I wished I would have had that link on Saturday. I ordered mine from americanmototire.com paid a bit more than that. Not a lot more but every little bit helps right?
I paid 358 for the pair with shipping.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
Advanced Member

New Avons

The Avon's didn't cure my head sheake either! New sterring head bearings didn't help either! I might try to torque the head bearings down alittle tighter??? But I'm still not sold on that either! I'm guessing it has to do with the Fairing & touring trunk? Ima thinkin the front end is unloaded ( not as much weight on front tire) with the Trunk on? Or, the shake was always there but the Phatt Risers amplify the wobble ( cause it to turn into a harmonic oscilation). I am sure the proper fix would be a Steering damper - but I have tryed many different kinds ( got a friend with a bike salvage yard) but could not fabricate anything to fit with the fairing on! If I only had the windshield it would be on a long time ago!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 PM   #6

New Avons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewindgy
The Avon's didn't cure my head sheake either! New sterring head bearings didn't help either! I might try to torque the head bearings down alittle tighter??? But I'm still not sold on that either! I'm guessing it has to do with the Fairing & touring trunk? Ima thinkin the front end is unloaded ( not as much weight on front tire) with the Trunk on? Or, the shake was always there but the Phatt Risers amplify the wobble ( cause it to turn into a harmonic oscilation). I am sure the proper fix would be a Steering damper - but I have tryed many different kinds ( got a friend with a bike salvage yard) but could not fabricate anything to fit with the fairing on! If I only had the windshield it would be on a long time ago!!!
I rode my bike with the fairing removed and it still wobbles, this is something that has grown with the bike over time, it didnt do it at all when I first got the bike, and that was with the fairing and Tour Pak already installed.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 PM   #7

New Avons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeye
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
My bike does the same thing with the stock Stones. Valdez found a way to cure the wobble on his bike. Send him a PM & have him explain what he did....
Thanks for the tip, I'll give him a call and find out what he did.

VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 01-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #8

New Avons

I don't know if I would call it a wobble but after installing chucksters risers I noticed considerably more vibration in the bars. It was like a tuning fork. Cactusjack had the idea to fill the bars with BBs to make them more solid. I bought a few thousand and am going to give it a go as soon as I get the bike out of the shed (in a month or two).

Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #9
Advanced Member

New Avons

I was thinking about getting a "Bar Snake" but am not sure if that is the real problem? Please advise after you put the BB's in if it helps!

Old 01-14-2009, 11:09 AM   #10

New Avons

I had bar shake at 30-35 MPH but once I changed tires it went away.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:52 PM   #11
Advanced Member

New Avons

Mine had the wobble also at about 35-40 all i did was tightend the steering head bearings. It took a couple of times to get it just right but i got it. I would tighten it go for a ride, to tight then too loose I didnt put it all back together until it was dead on.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
Mega-Contributor

New Avons

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
I don't know if I would call it a wobble but after installing chucksters risers I noticed considerably more vibration in the bars. It was like a tuning fork. Cactusjack had the idea to fill the bars with BBs to make them more solid. I bought a few thousand and am going to give it a go as soon as I get the bike out of the shed (in a month or two).
I did? ???

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-14-2009, 04:17 PM   #13

New Avons

I am pretty sure it was you. But then I was really watching your trailer build in those days too so maybe it just stuck in my head that way.
My avons will be here this week. Man I am gonna have a garage full of MC parts and no MC. I may have to find out how much snow my snowblower can handle and rescue my bike from the shed.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #14
Mega-Contributor

New Avons

I was checking the pressure in my ME880's today and the rear is pretty much shot (hey, it's only bald in the center). I ordered an Avon Cobra 180/70x16 online and some Dynabeads to put in it.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
New Avons

Quote:
Originally Posted by trjam
Ordered them this morning as I was not happy with the way my Metzlers looked after 7000 miles. That and I wanted the new Cobras and just found a very sweet deall for 300.00 for both for the Nomad. That is the cheapest I have seen. I may get a little more out of the Metzlers but at this price I wasnt going to pass them up.

http://www.motoxoutlet.com/index.asp...&ProdID=498818
What size did you go with trjam??

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png