Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 10-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Rider down

This happened yesterday in Scottsdale. Out riding at 2:40AM? Okay... I don't even like to drive my car after 2:00AM because the bars have closed and all the drunks are loose on the roads. The story says alcohol doesn't appear to be a factor in this case.

Woman critical after motorcycle accident

by Megan Boehnke - Oct. 19, 2008 12:16 PM
The Arizona Republic

A Chandler woman is in critical condition after a two motorcycles and a car collided on Hayden Road, just north of Osborn, that shut down a stretch of the road for about 2 1/2 hours early Sunday morning.

Two motorcycles were headed south on Hayden, each with a male driver and a female passenger, when a Volkswagen Jetta headed north turned left in front of the motorcyclists at about 2:40 a.m. Both bikes were hit and one of the passengers was thrown from the bike.

The 28-year-old was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn and is expected to survive her injuries. The other female passenger was also taken to the hospital with minor injuries.

Neither of the female motorcycle passengers were wearing helmets.

The men on the bikes had minor injuries and the driver of the Jetta was uninjured. Alcohol does not appear to be a factor.

Hayden Road between Indian School and Osborn roads was reopened at about 5 a.m.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-20-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Rider down

Sorry to hear this. :-[

I do wish that folks would at least wear a helmet even where not required by law. But, it is still (sorta) a free country and they do have the choice.

Bob
KawaNOW/VBA 210
Green/Silver 2006
Patriot Guard Riders 2009

Old 10-20-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Rider down

We do indeed have the freedom to choose . . . to make both wise, and foolish, decisions. Isn't that the reason for most all accidents, problems, etc.?

I think (my opinion) that choosing to ride without a helmet (where not required) is a choice, and the results are the consequences you choose to bear. An unwise choice, in my opinion.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:02 AM   #4

Rider down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougster
We do indeed have the freedom to choose . . . to make both wise, and foolish, decisions. Isn't that the reason for most all accidents, problems, etc.?

I think (my opinion) that choosing to ride without a helmet (where not required) is a choice, and the results are the consequences you choose to bear. An unwise choice, in my opinion.
I agree that we have the freedom to chose, but maturity reminds us that our choices always affect others.

The VW driver's decision affected the motorcyclists and their passengers, the riders decisions affected their passengers, and who only knows who were affected by the injuries sustained by the passengers (works, rent payments, insurance agencies, friends, family, etc.).

I don't want to force others to wear a helmet, but I wear one because I have a wife and two cute kids who depend on me coming home.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Rider down

rksaw,

Yeah, that is what I was trying to say. (I just was not as clear as you!) Thanks for clarifying it.

Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-21-2008, 05:20 PM   #6

Rider down

No problem Doug...and in case my wife ever reads this, I think she's cute too.