Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Rider to rider communication

Hi all,
Im looking to get a Scala 2 or somthing like that. Only problem is I wear a half helmet. Anyone know of any systems that would work.

Thanks
Jeff

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-02-2010, 10:14 PM   #2

Do NOT under any circumstances get a Chatterbox II system. I bought 2 of them last spring for my bike and my dad's and the thing isn't worth the material its made out of.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

I have the Scala Rider Team Set. You cannot do bike to bike with this set, but I have had it for two years without any problems. My wife and I talk back and forth, and I can answer my cell phoneas well. If you want bike to bike, I have heard equally good things about Scala Rider 2. Hope that helps.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #4

It may depend on who you are trying to communicate with and how often.

A lot of friends have Goldwings, Ventures and Harleys so I went with a J&M 2003 solo CB. It's a bit pricey by the time you get the radio, antenna and headset and, while it works well, it is old technology. It does work well and you are not limited to the number of riders on a channel. The unit does pipe my iPod into the headset though when I am not listening to my fairing speakers.

I know GMRS/FRS works well but I have not tried Cardo Scalas bluetooth headsets. Beware of claims of 1 mile ranges for any of them though.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...cala-rider-q2/

Hammer aka CrocHammer
KawaNow#00988, VROC#26389, VR#2202
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
I have the Scala Rider Team Set. You cannot do bike to bike with this set, but I have had it for two years without any problems. My wife and I talk back and forth, and I can answer my cell phoneas well. If you want bike to bike, I have heard equally good things about Scala Rider 2. Hope that helps.
+1....what he said!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #6

Ann and I have used the Scala Rider Q2 set for about two years now. Works great for bike-to-bike comms. Distance is about 1/4 mile, line-of-site, which is great for our rides together. She wears a f/f modular helmet and I wear a Scorpion EXO-100 1/2 helmet. Works great.

Still waiting for the next version of the Scala to come out. They will supposedly have better battery life and better range.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 05-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #7
Advanced Member

You are going to be pretty much out of luck with a half helmet unless your helmet has those big leather ear flaps that cover your ears. You need something to hold the speakers against your ears and something to cut down on the noise, especially at highway speeds.

Bike to bike is limited no matter what you do, the other bike needs to be on the same system of course and if you are going bluetooth you have to pair up ahead of time. And then you are limited to how many people you pair with, 3 max depending upon the system and then you can't talk to all of them at once...you have to cycle through. So if you want bike to bike you should go with something like J&M's CB radio setup then when you talk everyone on that channel hears you at once...then they respond and everyone hears that.....

Old 05-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #8

+1 on the scala Q2. I have the multi set and it works well with the phone and gps and two way. The FM radio function is crap i.e. poor (miserable) reception. I would like it if they upped the volume as well as my ears could use the help sometimes. Too many loud pastimes as a youth!

Wayne
2011 FLHTK

Old 05-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy

I did see a set up that was at our "international motorcycle show" that offered a behind the head
"wrap" that used ear buds. This was specifically for half and beanie helmet {skid plate} use. I can't find the damn business card or remember the name though. Old age guys!!

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 05-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #10

I have the EXO-100 and mounted a J&M Universal headset without the neck curtain so it can be easily done. Velcro is your friend. I had few problems at all after stitching a couple of Velcro strips onto the inside of the straps. The Universal headset comes with one side done in Velcro for similar purposesI have done this before using speakers pulled out of headphones for my iPod and using Velcro on my HJC CL-2 half helmet. I have tried earbuds but my ears hate it after about an hour.

I have also used the Midlands handheld CB with the same headset setup and it worked OK for the odd time I needed bike to bike. That is doable for less than $80.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 05-03-2010, 07:51 PM   #11

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail....MC%2DHS%2DB40U

This is one maybe like rickyboy mentioned. Try sierra-mc.com and have a look around. They are very good on the phone and deal with lots of different applications including non-CB.

Hammer aka CrocHammer
Abbotsford, BC, Canada
2006 Black Nomad

Old 05-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Ann and I have used the Scala Rider Q2 set for about two years now. Works great for bike-to-bike comms. Distance is about 1/4 mile, line-of-site, which is great for our rides together. She wears a f/f modular helmet and I wear a Scorpion EXO-100 1/2 helmet. Works great.

Still waiting for the next version of the Scala to come out. They will supposedly have better battery life and better range.
Are they coming out with one newer then the G4 power set?
Mustang seat and fender bib
Avon Venom tires
2 right side Harley mufflers the quiet side.
TFI fuel control
Progressive 430 shocks 430-4213B (Best Mod to the bike I've made)
Progressive fork springs (See Above)
Kuryakyn grips
A touch of chrome farkles
Reckless fairing color match 2 tone paint.
Kenwood deck with Polk 5 1/4" speakers.

2007 GSX1250
Stock for now

Old 05-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #13

When I ride with a group I belong to and am leading or tail-gunning the group we use GMRS radios to stay in contact. Most of us use half helmets and use this set up http://radioworld.ca/product_info.ph...oducts_id=5122. I have never had a problem hearing others on the radio and can still hear what is going on around me (Cars honking, sirens etc.). It comes with a waterproof PTT button that straps on with velcro to your handlebar and when we stop I can put the set up in a saddlebag in 30 seconds.

Brian

Brian Muscat
bamuscat@gmail.com
Barrie, ON

KawaNOW #1404
2008 Kawasaki Nomad (Ultra)
Red and Black because they're the fastest colours!
Winter is nature's way of telling us to add more Chrome!

Old 05-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis

Are they coming out with one newer then the G4 power set?
Nope, that's the one I've been waiting for. I'd just assume they still weren't out with them yet - it's been for-bloody-ever!

mmm... Tempting to upgrade.. tempting.. I like the 10 hour talk time. Our die after about 4-5 hours.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 05-04-2010, 11:40 PM   #15

I use a splitter with my Chatterbox FRS X2 that splits the speakers into a seperate ear bud plug in. I cut off the speakers from the microphone and use my earbuds instead. I had the same setup on my Goldwing GL1800. EdSets.com makes adapters for J&M, B&M, Harley, and Goldwing radios. PlugUp.com makes the one for the Chatterbox radios. In my opinion, this is the ONLY way to go and the only way to actually hear anything without ruining your hearing. I have tried several different headsets and will never go back after using ear buds.

If I was going to buy a new radio for the Nomad it would the J&M CB setup. I just hooked up my old Chatterbox that I had on my 02 Nomad, and it's ok, but it doesn't seem to be up the same standards as the J&M unit looks to be. I like the fact that the J&M is hard mounted so you don't have to worry about taking it off overnight when traveling. The CB will also give you the ability to listen in on the truckers which can help with the traffic situation when coming into a city or there is a traffic jam. The J&M is designed to have your headsets plug in near your seat, and the wiring is in one harness. You have to piece together all the parts to get a plug-in under the seat with the Chatterbox FRS stuff. It can be done, but it's not nearly as clean.

The cats meow would be the J&M CB with the ability to use bluetooth stereo headsets with an ear bud plug-in. Not having to plug in would be heaven.