Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #1

heal shift

Several days ago, I read on the forum, about using the heal shift lever, on the nomads....And, several people were really taking up for it.... I've rode my bike several times since reading that, and have been using the heal shifter......... As usual, you all seem to be right again... I tried it when I first got the bike, but, didn't really give it a chance, and decided I didn't like it right away...... But, the bike really shifts smoother by using the heal........ Not once, using the heal shift, has it raked going into 2nd gear, and it almost always rakes using the toe shifter, unless you really have it wound up...... thanks for some more very useful information.. I only hope I can train myself to use it all the time...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #2

heal shift

Just keep using it and before long it will be second nature, you won't even realize that your using the heel shifter.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
Advanced Member

heal shift

I have used the heel shifter since I got my Ruby and it is really hard for me to ride Brian's Nomad since he removed his. I never even have to think about shifting on my Ruby, but have to think about shifting with my toe.

Old 07-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
Advanced Member

heal shift

I have various boots that I wear when riding, some thin and some thick in the toe.
The toe shifter is more difficult with the thin toe shoes when it's set too high.
I set the toe shifter low and started using the heel shifter with my steel toe boots.
After a few rides heel shifting, I haven't gone back to the toe any more.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #5

heal shift

i'm anti heel shifter. reason being ,very hard on the shift forks if you have a heavy leg and i got my pants leg caught on one and almost fell over at a stop sign. why lift your foot uf and move it forward and back if you don't have to?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
Advanced Member

heal shift

I use mine on all shifts from 2nd through 5th. All the time.
After the Electra Glide, and dads Electra Glide, I was just used to it. I am easy on the shifter so it will be ok.
Personal preference.
1965 Pontiac GTO, 389 4 Speed. Bluemist Slate
Cruising the back roads, that is living!
Member #000033.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:55 PM   #7

heal shift

I like the heel shifter. It saves my from getting boot marks on my military boots.
Zoom45

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 07-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
Advanced Member

heal shift

It took some getting used to at first, and find myself using it for no particular reason than to move different while shifting I guess but now I like just having that option.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:59 AM   #9

heal shift

I never use the heel shifter. I raced dirt bikes too many years I guess. I never even think of using anything but the toe shifter. I will miss a shift to 2nd once in a great while but its not a problem. I'd rather be able to move my foot back and forth on the platform easily without an inadvertent upshift.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
Top Contributor

heal shift

I never use the heel shifter. I just dont see the reason for doing so.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #11

heal shift

The first time I rode my new C50 away from the dealer in July of '04 I thought that the heel shifter was stupid, coming from a Concours. After about one mile of riding I changed my mind and 60,000 miles and a Nomad later don't know think I could live without it on a fat cruiser. It seems easier to use the heel shifter in a position where your legs are out in front of you instead of under you - at least if you are me.

Old 07-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

heal shift

I was reluctant for a long time to bother with the heel shifter, but then i found no more missed 2nd gear shifts and smoother over all shifting for it.

After looking and testing other heel shifters ma kawii got this one right. I like it is raised a bit off the boards and not even or below.

For me it is second nature now.

Boots: both sets of boots I rise in are no mc boots at all, one set is cowboy like, which i wear to work and everyplace 99%. The other pair is real cowboy boots, circa 1880's some 16 inches tall like on Lonesome Dove. These are my best dress boots, so look as new. I had vibrum soles added by Limmers bootery in Intervale. I know the owner, and he has had more of his boots on Mt Everest than any other hiking boot. I assume he knows a few thing about boots.

These boots are very happy there is no upshifting by toe. On other bikes I had I have ruined good boots up shifting, since I have never had mc boots in my life.

Back in the day there was no such thing as bike boots, and men wore work boots to ride, or combat boots. Back then I wore a jean jackets as i didn't like the real mc, Marlin Brando look jackets. Someone gave me a brand new one of those, and i haven't tried it on yet.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 07-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
heal shift

I'm from the old school of biking. Have been riding on and off for almost 50 years. The heel shifter is the best thing to come along since sliced bread. Heck I wouldn't use the toe shifter if I didn't have to downshift.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181