Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > Western Canada/Northwest Regional Rally for 2012 - "Canadian Rockies Rally"
July 17-19

Old 02-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
WTF I just can't believe it !!

Hi to everyone,
Well the season is starting to change in most regions of the continent, and the thoughts of riding are becoming more prevalent in most of our minds. I know I have started to finally focus on some needed maintenance on the ol’ Nomad before I put it on the road for another year. A lot of us have been busy planning our regional rally’s and our vacations needed, to attend. We here, in the west are no different and have been working on “The Canadian Rockies Rally” for some time now. You probably know that the “NorthWest Group” has teamed up with the “Canada West Region” to host a combined rally for our two groups. It takes place July 17th, 18th, and the 19th. All the info can be found at http://vulcanbagger.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23973
As some of you know I was injured at my place of employment a couple of yrs. ago and have just fairly recently returned back to work. After being off for such a long time I have accrued a number of weeks vacation that need to be used up before April 1st 2012. Because that won’t be possible, I will be “forced off” by my employer for almost two months until they are used up. Contract rules. This may not sound too bad to some of you and I admit being off work on paid vacations isn’t too hard to take. But having said that I must say that I found out that, after being off on what we call “Workers Compensation” for longer than a year, I stop accruing vacations for the following year. That being 2012 for me. This means I have only five days vacations for this year instead of my regular six weeks. I need to explain that I have recently purchased a house in preparation for early retirement and had made plans to take possession of it using those five days {the first week of July}. My plan was to take the next few weeks following that to attend the rally and spend more time at the new home. But with the news that I only have five vacation days, it looks as though, at this time anyway, that I am going to be unable to attend the rally. To say this has devastated me and almost makes me want to scream would be an understatement to be sure. I have informed Trip, Kris Olsen and my Asst. R.L. Kevin Clark of the dilemma, and I have no doubt that Kris and Kevin can handle anything that happens to come up. I am still working on obtaining door prizes and support from Kawasaki Canada and have been assured that they will be able to help us out. I have also obtained support from http://www.behindbarscyclegear.com/ In general, everything looks to be in place and ready to go. I am going to remain hopeful right up to the last minute that something is going to come along that will allow me to attend. I have wanted to host a rally for our region since first coming to the old KawaNOW back in 2007, so I am disappointed beyond belief, that the likelihood of me attending is slim. I’m sure that a good time will be had by all that attend this “first in Canada” V.B.A. rally, and that it’ll be a huge success. I ask that everyone please cross your fingers for me, that I’ll be able to attend, at least in part.
Best regards to everyone and in solidarity,
Rick “rickyboy” Cole

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 PM   #2

You got to do what you got to do to keep on living and riding! Sorry to hear you are put in this position!!
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
Advanced Member

Sorry to hear that rickyboy,,, all the way from Ottawa,Ont that sacks.. hey ..

Old 02-29-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Top Contributor

Sorry to hear about that Rick. Those type of issues do happen and generally not for the better.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #5

Thats too bad Rick, perhaps you could call in sick for a couple days and at least spend the weekend at the rally.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 PM   #6

Here's hoping for both of us.

I'm in the "still processing" hold pattern on the passport. It would be nice to ride with you in Canmore. Hope you and I can both make it.

2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic "George III" (Patricia's)
2006 Vulcan 1600 Nomad "Grace" (Mark's)
Mark Clark
VBA #1619
TaibhseDaid@Gmail.Com
"Irish" @ Maricopa County Chapter of B.A.C.A.
Phoenix, AZ

Old 02-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
The largest paragraph I've ever read!!

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 02-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
That's the closest thing to a book you're ever read.

Sorry to hear that Ricky.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 02-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Sorry to hear that Rick, perhaps something will work out.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 02-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowndodge View Post
I'm surprised Brad .....

that you can actually read I mean. Heres your chance to go and buy all the door prizes.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 02-29-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
I'm surprised Brad .....

that you can actually read I mean. Heres your chance to go and buy all the door prizes.
That's exactly what I was thinkin' Ricky...!!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 02-29-2012, 09:56 PM   #12

That sounds absolutely insane - you accrued vacation while you weren't working. Can't they let you move one of those weeks from March to July? Maybe you could offer to forgo one week in order to move another?
You've put so much work into this it would really be a shame if you can't make it. I'm sure that Kris will do a great job.

Sure hope it works out for you.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Old 03-01-2012, 12:05 AM   #13

Man oh man Ricky..that really sucks big time. Hopefully something works out ..Bdog

Old 03-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #14

Grin

That sucks Rick. Hope you can find a loophole in the details.

Hey Kris ....you can have his room, I will take his parking spot, and we will split the liquor.

Oh Rick...we are really gonna miss you :-)

Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenomad View Post
That sounds absolutely insane - you accrued vacation while you weren't working. Can't they let you move one of those weeks from March to July? Maybe you could offer to forgo one week in order to move another?
You've put so much work into this it would really be a shame if you can't make it. I'm sure that Kris will do a great job.

Sure hope it works out for you.
Let me explain.... the vacations I have to use were accrued when I was working, before my accident. But because I was off because of the accident I couldn't use them. Those are the ones I have to use. Then because I was off I wasn't accruing time towards my next years vacations {2012} The time I put in before the accident "bought me" 5 days towards 2012 vacations. Does that help you understand??

But in a word,...No. The contract says that upon returning back to work, a worker must take all outstanding vacations before April 1st. Or the Co. can "force the worker off" until they are used up. I have, through my union, asked a number of times giving full explanations of why I need the time, and made numerous concessions, only to have the Gen. Foreman say No. The H. R. Dept. doesn't have a problem with me holding back a week for summer use, but they leave it in the hands of the G.F.. Him and I have a history from when I was shop steward of "the plant" and he holds a grudge. So just to be a prick I am canceling my vacations in March that I was going to take and holding on to them as long as possible. Only a few weeks but then I'll be off later than what he wants me to be. There is a meeting taking place next week and the G.F. is apparently needing a favor and co-operation from the union. I believe the co-operation may now hinge on my request. I only heard that tonight, so maybe there is hope yet.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Last edited by rickyboy; 03-01-2012 at 06:08 AM.