Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > Western Canada/Northwest Regional Rally for 2012 - "Canadian Rockies Rally"
July 17-19

Old 01-07-2012, 12:26 PM   #1

Planning route to Rally

Hi guys. I am trying to divide up our 1900 mile trip to the rally and would like some feedback from those familiar with the NW area. My Route

I know the previous NW rally was in Kalispell and was curious if you guys could comment on my final day. I want to ride the Going to the Sun Road. Google is showing 325 miles from Kalispell to Canmore. Given that we will likely want to stop a bit to enjoy the view and will be forced to stop at the border, is this too far to travel in one day?

I'm comfortable with the miles, just curious about the time. The Sun Road has a slow speed limit (40/25) so it will definitely take some time, but this is only 50 miles and the rest looks less challenging.

We're planning to ride the Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth pass along the way. Too bad we can't find more time to run through Yellowstone on this trip.

For those that have gone on these roads and think it is better to go in a particular direction, let me know as we could chose to take this path on the return trip instead.

I haven't finished the return trip, but planning to go by Devil's Tower, Spearfish Canyon, Mt Rushmore, Crazy Horse, and Carhenge.
2008 Red/Black Nomad - Traded at 29500 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
325 miles should be able to do that with no problems. When I visited my daughter in Texas in 2008 and 2009 I did about 450 miles each day. I could have ridden more but darkness caught me and I am not a night rider.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 01-07-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
Top Contributor

That looks like a great route. You will love Beartooth Pass and pretty much everything in Montana! If you can remember, going in the direction you are, as you make your way up toward Beartooth Pass, there will be a small country store on your left. You can't miss it as it is the only building around for miles and miles. Stop there and you can buy the Beartooth patch (they have several different ones if your into that sort of thing).

The Going to the Sun Road is pretty slow going and every year there is construction along it somewhere. You will get stopped for one-way traffic here and there, so allow plenty of time. I would think if you get an early start though, that you should be able to make it. Google Maps shows it as just under 6.75 hours ride time, so an early start would leave you some time for stops. You may roll into Canmore very late in the afternoon...but you should be able to make that work.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one getting excited about the rally and planning routes. Yours will provide lots of eye candy for sure. I look forward to meeting you at the rally.....
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider View Post
325 miles should be able to do that with no problems. When I visited my daughter in Texas in 2008 and 2009 I did about 450 miles each day. I could have ridden more but darkness caught me and I am not a night rider.
Gene,
Normally, I wouldn't even question it. We've done 500 mile days on the Interstate before. But riding in the mountains and with National Park speed limits can really slow you down. I don't expect any serious delays at the border, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #5

Thanks Kris. We are definitely getting excited about it. We'll actually have to make a motel reservation before too long in Cody. It's so close to Yellowstone and I'm sure a lot of the more reasonably priced ones will fill up fast in mid-July.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-09-2012, 05:47 AM   #6
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
I too am getting excited about the rally, and that there seems to be a fair bit of interest. I'll be leaving for the rally from my soon to be new home on the 108 ranch in BC. So I'll be setting a course soon. Looks like HWY 24 through to Calgary and the Banff/Canmore if I'm not mistaken. Hey Lomax !! which way you going? You are going aren't you?

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 01-09-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

How serious are the Canadian police about the speed limit? We routinely go 5-10 over here in the states without too much worry.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petenomad View Post
How serious are the Canadian police about the speed limit? We routinely go 5-10 over here in the states without too much worry.

You would be pretty safe at 5 over the limit here. Any more and you take the chance of finding a leo thats having a bad day and it might cost you. But I like to push it a bit more than that and have yet to get into any trouble, but I'm sure my day is coming!

One more thing to keep in mind. Alberta has photo radar. BC does not. I'm not sure how much they allow you with that device.

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Last edited by lomax; 01-09-2012 at 11:38 PM.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy View Post
I too am getting excited about the rally, and that there seems to be a fair bit of interest. I'll be leaving for the rally from my soon to be new home on the 108 ranch in BC. So I'll be setting a course soon. Looks like HWY 24 through to Calgary and the Banff/Canmore if I'm not mistaken. Hey Lomax !! which way you going? You are going aren't you?
Hey Rick
Yes, I am planning on attending the rally. Room is booked for 4 days. Its only about a 6 hour ride for me. But I am toying with the idea of taking the scenic route and joining with Kris's group which would add a couple days to my trip.

So now you have a "second" cabin at the 108?? Good for you. Sounds like you are leaving from there when the time comes for the rally. It would be a nice day trip for you to go via Jasper and south from there to Lke Louise and Canmore. Actually, that might be quite a long day. You won't find more beautiful country if you were to take that route. If I decide to go direct from Armstrong to Canmore, you could ride to my place, overnite there and we could carry on the next day. Whatever floats your boat!

I stopped in Canmore for fuel a couple days ago on my way to Edmonton. There was very close to zero snow in the valley. Snow conditions must be a little slim on all those ski hills around there.

Mike

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 01-10-2012, 12:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax View Post
You would be pretty safe at 5 over the limit here. Any more and you take the chance of finding a leo thats having a bad day and it might cost you. But I like to push it a bit more than that and have yet to get into any trouble, but I'm sure my day is coming!

One more thing to keep in mind. Alberta has photo radar. BC does not. I'm not sure how much they allow you with that device.

Mike
Not too worried about photo, my trunk covers up the license plate pretty good. :) Although not so much on Ann's Spyder. Guess we'll have to behave.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:23 AM   #11

Worked on return trip tonight. Return Route

We didn't get to Devil's tower when on our previous vacation in the area (almost 10 years ago) and this is a perfect opportunity to see that. We'll come through Spearfish Canyon and Nemo Road so we'll still get some curves in some beautiful country.

We've been to Rushmore and Crazy Horse before, so probably won't spend much time there. Ann says she wants to stop at Crazy Horse to see if she can see a difference since we were there. (I'm guessing not much.) We loved the needles highway so we can't miss the opportunity to see that again. We've seen the Buffalo heard from the car and don't really have much desire to see them again on a bike.

We'll stop and see Carhenge before heading back home on the Interstate.

Old 01-10-2012, 12:35 AM   #12
Top Contributor

When we were in Custer for the first National Rally in 2009....we rode through Spearfish Canyon with a small group of other riders. It's funny, we stopped in Deadwood to see Wild Bill Hickok's grave and it was about 90 degrees and sunny. We left Deadwood in our t-shirts but as we approached Spearfish Canyon the skies got dark with one of those thunderclouds so famous for that area. As soon as we got into the canyon she let loose and we got soaked. We stopped in Sturgis for lunch and I damn near had to wring out my underwear...!!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 01-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #13

We had that when we rode through Colorado in 2010. Beautiful day, then BAM you're drenched.

When we were on vacation in SD before, we rented a cabin in Spearfish. Ann and I loved it but our (then) teenage sons were unhappy. No TV, no internet, nothing to do but talk to mom and dad - the horror!!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:36 PM   #14

Wow you are coming a long way!
To make your trip a lot more sceanic and avoid Calgary (we have traffic issues you don't wanna ride through the City) I would suggest taking Hwy 17/6 instead of crossing at Caraway, but even if you do; then head toward Waterton / Pincher Creek, then up Hwy 22 to Longview (fuel up here for sure) then West to Eden Valley/Hwy 40 (eye poppin sceanery) and in to Canmore.
Then again if you like dealing with big city traffic, exhaust fumes and delays by all means come through Calgary.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #15

Is it July yet????

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue