Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rallies & Rides > Archived > Western Canada/Northwest Regional Rally for 2012 - "Canadian Rockies Rally"
July 17-19

Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #31

Trying to add air with a truck chuck on the line can be challenging.

Gibbon Falls

What choo looking at?

Tower Falls

Doug Engstrom
2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2001 Vulcan Nomad 1500FI, (Sold at 83,000 km)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #32

We decided to take a day off Saturday to relax. I figured I'd take advantage of the time off and see if I could get an oil change as I was approaching 5,000 km's and this would be the best chance of getting one unless I wanted to wait until after the rally and head into Calgary.

I called up the local Kawi dealer (Summit Motorsports) at 9am when they opened and they agreed they could slip me in at 1pm. I showed up promptly at 9 and they took the bike in before I even turned it off and had me back out the door in 20 minutes for the cost of the oil, filter and $20 labor which I thought was awesome service and pretty darn reasonable. I'd recommend this dealer to anyone in the area who needs service.

Later in the day we did a bit of shopping and sight seeing before we meet up with Ann & Glen (petenomad) who had rolled into town from the Beartooth and Chief Joseph. We joined them for dinner at the Montana Ale Works and agreed to ride the rest of the way to the rally together.

This Morning we rolled out of Bozeman headed for Columbia Falls. Here's Ann on her Spyder.

And Glen on his Nomad.

And both of them rolling into a Scenic Turnout North of Helena, MT.

Here's the view from the turnout.

A couple of Nomads and a Spyder.

We hit a bunch of nasty weather after that, before arriving safely in Columbia Falls. Holding out hope for a nicer day tomorrow while we ride the Going to the Sun road on the final leg into Canmore.

Doug Engstrom

Old 07-16-2012, 12:54 AM   #33
Top Contributor

Awesome stuff! We hit rain all morning long from Colville, WA to Creston, BC. After lunch it lightened up and we all rolled into Coleman, AB no worse for wear. Bud arrived safe from Pocatello about 9:45 after putting in a 685 mile day...! We too are hoping for better weather tomorrow so we can shed the rain gear. We have eight bikes in our group and should be in Canmore by early afternoon if we don't make too many picture stops...
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Old 07-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #34

Bad news for Bdog! I hit the road on july 7th..great weather 35+. Came from Ft. Macmurry AB. down to Japser, then Banff, over to Canmore to drop off some prizes. Off to kamloops to visit friends, over to logan lake to see and old friend too then headed down the frazer canyon..had to pull over..extremely tired, so I slept for a couple hrs. at a rest stop, then headed down to Hope. There I had to make a decision..go to the island and see my mom, which I had planned to do or what..by now I'm pretty much drained of energy, swimming in sweat, my throat is killing me and I've lost one ear's hearing. So I cancelled my trip to the island and ventured on to Princeton. Got a campsite there and for 2 1/2 days I don't remember much. All I did was sleep for about 5 hrs then up for about 1/2hr. and repeated this for the whole time there..and no..I didn't eat..no appetite but hydrated my self as much as possible. Now I have this killer throat, no ears, pounding headache, aching muscles and joints along with low energy. I pack up and ride up to sicamous where I treat my self to the best hotel in the area. Must have slept for 12 hrs straight, forced myself to eat a bit. Left the next day for Canmore, July 14th..shit..gotta make a dicision, what to do? I decided not to share this cold bug with anyone of you and to go home, see my doc and get better. I know this was the right decision, unfortunately I am really disapointed in not making the rally and meeting so many of you that I only know by handle.
I hope everyone has a safe, fun and momentous time. Rick and Kris...thank you both for all your efforts in putting this rally together. I talked to the owner and he is going to make sure my package is handed over to you. I'll be thinking of everyone during the rally...Bdog

Old 07-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #35

That's unfortunate Bdog, I was looking forward to meeting you and getting some pics of your bike.
I think there is something going around, because I am feeling like total crap today myself, hoping I will feel better by Weds afternoon or I may just pull the plug also.

take care

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-17-2012, 01:40 AM   #36

Sorry to hear bdog, was looking forward to meeting you and seeing some of your awesome looking work in person. Hope you feel better soon!

Doug Engstrom

Old 07-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #37

Thanks Lead and Chilli. Went to the doc yesterday. I have brochitis border line nomonya along with a touch of sun stroke. Needless to say..not feeling so great.
Hopefully everyone else has an uneventful trip except for laughter, great riding and comrodorie...John

Old 07-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #38

A quick update from the last couple of days. We left Columbia Falls and had a great ride over the Going to the Sun road with awesome weather. After that we pushed pretty good to get to Canmore at a reasonable hour.

Once checked in we enjoyed a nice evening getting to meet some of the VBA crew and a few wobbly pops and camaraderie was shared.

Ann and Glen entering the West Gate at Glacier

Our first roadside turnout at Glacier

Ann, Glen and I at the same stop

Some scenery

More scenery

And again

Idaho and Rickyboy on the first rally ride

Kootenay River scenery

Group ride

Doug Engstrom