Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-18-2009, 04:53 PM   #1

Darkside tire separation

Saw this on you tube. There's probably more to the story. It's strange how only one side and all the way around. Almost like something was cutting into the tire

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Darkside tire separation

I can't see vidio.... If someone feels like relating what ever it is, I might be interested.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 08-18-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

Darkside tire separation

Hey mac go to youtube and search cartire on motorcycle and its there.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:21 PM   #4

Darkside tire separation

I redid the link should work now.

Old 08-18-2009, 05:32 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Darkside tire separation

No no no , I am on a dead beat 56 k mo dumb and something is wrong with the system to boot.

I can stay on line for maybe 3 minutes no matter what I do.. Today I installed a new Juno version 6 thinking the old version was no good anymore and still the system just goes off line every 2 to 3 minutes no matter what.

I can't see any vidio no matter how good the link is ever.... it wasn't the link.... I didn't even try it..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Darkside tire separation

Mac, it looked like someone took a knife to the tire where the tread meets the sidewall. It was split all the way around. It does look like maybe the tire was rubbing on something. It was installed on a GL1800 Goldwing.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 08-18-2009, 05:58 PM   #7

Darkside tire separation

First of all, that could not have "just happened". It had to have happened over a period of time for that much damage. My guess, like others is that there had to be something rubbing on the tire to cut it all the way around like that. It would be interesting to find out the whole story. Just showing a tire, and telling what it was on was not good enough for me. And if there was something rubbing, how is it that he/she didn't notice a noise, or smoke, or even handling problems before the failure. To be that catastrophic, there had to be signs before the failure. There is just not enough information in this video at all. I am however impressed in all the replies under the video. All made sense and did not say anything about running a ct on a motorcycle. Another thing is that even if there was nothing making contact with the tire, which I doubt, this is the first and only time I have seen any type of failure of a car tire on a motorcycle. I am sure that there are many on here that would agree with me, a careful walk around and quick inspection would have prevented an accident in the first place. The first thing I do each and every time I get on my bike is a walk around. Takes 10 seconds and could mean the difference between life and death. Especially now that I am a darksider, I inspect that tire every time that garage door goes up. Like I said, it is a good habit to get into.

Something else that seemed odd is that the person doing the recording seemed to be more interested in filming the dealership than getting all the facts. If anyone knows that dealership, they should give them a call and see if we could get more details. Was it 1 up, 2 up, was the pilot towing a trailer, and I apologize if this seems brash but was the pilot, and or passenger, shall I say, heavier than normal. There are just too many variables in this story that are un answered. I sure would like to hear the whole story, and I am confident that we would find the real answer, and I don't think it would be the tire that failed, but rather was damaged by something else. Just my humble opinion.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:02 PM   #8

Darkside tire separation

I agree that it looks like the sidewall separated from the tread area. If I remember correctly the belt was exposed as well. I'd have to go back to recheck that though. I don't know of anyone that had a tire failure that looked like that.

Maybe someone in the mechanic business that's seen a lot of bad tires would comment on this issue.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #9

Darkside tire separation

These tires are designed to go on cars, 4000 pound cars, and are designed to take highway off ramps at 60 miles per hour, on the front wheel of the car. Now these figures are very conservative, but the lateral forces that are put on this, and every tire, are far greater than any motorcycle could put on it. Therefor, I stand by my original statement. And the reason for the weight question is that there may be something, a screw, piece of metal, something protruding from the fender, or something, that would only make contact under a full load. Like I said, just not enough information.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Darkside tire separation

What ever it is I am not unduly hampered. I drove right out of a truck tire once, blew the read off like a gun was fired too. At first i thought it was a gun fire.

That tire still held air, and BF Goodrich replaced it for free and with all the other tires on the truck. Bad batch and I had 4....

Once I had a mc tire come a part in chuncks, and then it blew up! There wasn't even any wire on the rim. I didn't go down, but I did ride over my foot

We all need to look at the tires everyday we plan to ride and check the oil too, These are bikes not cars. You are a pilot not a driver in some cage...

Would you fly a plane and not do the walk around?

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #11

Darkside tire separation

A good inspection of the tire before you even put it on is also a good idea. Another question I would have to ask this person is how long the bike may have sat before he rode it. Could it have been dry rot caused by lack of use over the winter. Just too many questions. Like macmac said, and as I have used the term for 20 some odd years, we are pilots, not drivers, we need to think like pilots. Pre "flight" walk around is a must.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM   #12

Darkside tire separation

Just read this comment left by someone. Have no idea how accurate this is but it is logical.

"The tire in this video is a runflat that had been run for an estimated 200+ miles with low or NO pressure. The rider failed to check the tire when he first noticed it "felt a little different". This is a testament to CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE and CONDITION on a regular condition no matter what type of tire you run. If this was posted in attempt to discredit those to chose to Darkside, please check the facts of the incident. "

Old 08-18-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Top Contributor

Darkside tire separation

Any tire on any vehicle can go and go quickly if it seperates. it doesnt matter what tire is on what vehicle. This is not enough to say CT are good or bad on motorcyles. jury is still out till somebody crashes a bike due to the tire. :-)

Old 08-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Darkside tire separation

Oh so it was a run flat and run for over 50 miles which makes it junk, with little to no psi...

Now that makes sence.. A run flat is designed t run flat for 50 miles and then be trash canned.. You don't run flat 50 miles and just add air.. It is total junk then..

Thinking before this was a normal car tire i would be hard pressed to see a 1,000 pound bike harm a tire when the tire was made for a car.... The tire carries about 1/2 the bike, and is why I used 1,000 over our apx 900 pounds because i don't know what a wing and other heavy bikes are, BUT ours are amoung the most heavey made not counting v 8 engine bikes.

Yeah pre flight inspection is a good idea... Getting lazy about it isn't.

If that happens to be too much bother perhaps driving a cage is better.. You need not be a tech to do a preflight. You just look at oil tires and air psi, and other related things, and get TOOLS and make sure things are snug...

You don't need to be a tech to test for snugg either, you just need eyes and tools that fit.

Wipin off bugs i find all sort of things I would either loose or have to fix...

Once I helped a guy with a Harley who had just one nut and bolt left of 5 holding on his rear sproket. Now he didn't loose all the 4 other nuts and bolts at the very same time. He was friggin too damnned lazy to look the bike over and it about killed him and it about ruined a good bike.

That chain stopped right now all gagged up on the driving sproket, and was wedge between the rear driven sproket and the frame which was a good thing..

The bad part was that bike came right around tail end first, but somehow he didn't wreck the whole bike, just one whole side of it was wrecked.. Not a big deal since there is lots of harleys.

The guy was all about how Harley did this and didn't do that but it was his own fault for not going over the bike. Harley wasn't riding the bike he was.

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac

Old 08-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #15

Darkside tire separation

CT failer=1
MCTire failer= Countless.

I'm still a believer! I put my Dunlop on in June and have been all over the place since then. East Coast to West Coast, Rockies, Smokies, and even on the sand at Daytona. The tire handle superior to anything else I have ever used.
VBA #1051 (Former President)