Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #1

Irate display won't set

Hi, I have a simple question I'm sure someone has dealt with before. I was fixing some bad wiring the previous owner had installed for an accessory plug and blew the fuse, when I pulled my fuses one by one to check them and tried to reset my display (clock and trip meters) nothing will set. So how do you reset the display?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #2

Does anyone know how to reset the ECU?

Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM   #3

Best way I know to reset the ECU is send it to IVAN.

But I think if you (MAYBE) take off the battery cables for awhile, and remove the ECU plugs also? an Hour or so then plug in the ECU then attach the battery cables. You may get a fresh boot?? To me It is just a computer and this would be the same process for installing an ECU. JUST GUESSING.

Not sure how any of the above helps your display. Have you read the owners manual for changing the display. It may do something, But I am assuming you have no display. Is that correct??

As you can tell I am more moral support than actual help. I am sure someone has a real answer.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 09-08-2017 at 09:04 AM.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #4

Display works but no clock set and no trip meters. I am going to send mu ecu for the Ivan's flash this winter, I just thought there would be an easy way to do a quick reset to see if it helps. Thanks for your reply.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:18 PM   #5

Has anyone else had this problem?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-09-2017, 07:10 AM   #6

I wonder if you are somehow stuck in the Self Diagnosis mode.

Try this - Press and Hold the S button on the right hand controls for 2 or 3 seconds
From what I read - this should take it out of the self diag mode.

Are you getting any error codes?

I also really like the - Unhook the battery option to reset things.

Good luck - let us know how it works out.

Old 09-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #7

I unhooked the battery for two hours. Nothing. I can get the clock to blink but not set and I have no trip meters. I have pushed the "S" button and it will blank out the display but not change anything.

Old 09-09-2017, 12:22 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Could it be the control buttons are not functioning properly, or their wires are shorted. I would look at the external components before blaming the ECU.

Has the electrical problems the previous owner created been completely resolved?

It sounds like there is still a wire or switch problem.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 09-09-2017, 03:40 PM   #9

my 010 went crazy a while back -- not same as yours but just as aggrovating so i took the switch assembly off and sprayed it real good with electrical cleaner and cycled the switches a million times then dryed it then a lite shot of WD40 and it started working -- maybe something like that would work for u -- i suspect any switch that isnt used much is subject to a little corrosion

Old 09-10-2017, 03:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Could it be the control buttons are not functioning properly, or their wires are shorted. I would look at the external components before blaming the ECU.

Has the electrical problems the previous owner created been completely resolved?

It sounds like there is still a wire or switch problem.
It all started when I pulled the fuses to check them I did nothing else and had never had any problems. I think it is in the brains of the display somehow. If I could just reset them.

Old 09-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPreacha View Post
I unhooked the battery for two hours. Nothing. I can get the clock to blink but not set and I have no trip meters. I have pushed the "S" button and it will blank out the display but not change anything.
If the hour number on the clock is blinking you should be able to set it. It's a pain and it's tricky. A learning process every time for me. That's why I just leave it on DST year round. At least it's right most of the time. After the battery has been disconnected the trip meters will be zeroed out.

Old 09-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot747 View Post
If the hour number on the clock is blinking you should be able to set it. It's a pain and it's tricky. A learning process every time for me. That's why I just leave it on DST year round. At least it's right most of the time. After the battery has been disconnected the trip meters will be zeroed out.
I have set the clock several times. Now it won't budge. It blinks but no setting! Also, the trip meters have disappeared altogether. This is a strange one for me but at least it is running good!

Old 09-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLE WILLIE View Post
my 010 went crazy a while back -- not same as yours but just as aggrovating so i took the switch assembly off and sprayed it real good with electrical cleaner and cycled the switches a million times then dryed it then a lite shot of WD40 and it started working -- maybe something like that would work for u -- i suspect any switch that isnt used much is subject to a little corrosion
I will try that, thanks!

Old 09-10-2017, 05:03 PM   #14

Update - I held the set button and turned on the ignition and Check 5 showed. As soon as I let off the set button everything went normal. Anyone know what this might mean?

Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 PM   #15

Is it now working correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPreacha View Post
Update - I held the set button and turned on the ignition and Check 5 showed. As soon as I let off the set button everything went normal. Anyone know what this might mean?
If it is now working - I'm gonna guess it had a Brain Fart when you were nutzing with the wiring. If all is well carry on.

FYI - In my quick look at the manual it looks like "Error Codes" show up as Error 11, 12, 13 ..... with the highest code being 98. Always a two digit code. There are around 20 used codes, not all numbers are used.

In the manual there is a section that talks about How to Check the Instrument Cluster. They use the term Check 1 - Check 14. This appears to be where you can perform a test to make sure the appropriate light functions on the display. Check 5 is for the "High Beam" indicator light. But I don't see anywhere where it shows the display giving a readout of Check 5.

Hopefully it was just a brain fart and it repaired itself when you held down the S button and Turned on the ignition.