Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-15-2014, 05:31 AM   #1

Back to UK after USA vacation

We had a great time, flew into Vegas and picked up the rental bike from Eagle Rider before heading to St George in Utah. Took a detour on the road thru the Valley of Fire as suggested by a forum member, a beautiful ride and well worth it. Spent most of our time travelling in Southern Utah visiting the State Parks such as Zion, I never get tired of looking at the magnificent landscapes. Took a ride thru Monument Valley and to the North rim of the Grand Canyon staying at Jacobs Lake Inn. We attended a talk given by John Rich about the Navajo people and the weaving they produce, a great talk by a passionate man. Only one day of rain, rode thru a spectacular storm riding from Lee's Ferry on the Colorado to Jacobs Lake. In the shadow of the Vermilion Cliffs, riding across the plain on a straight road, strong winds virtually blowing the bike from one side of the road to the other, in torrential rain (felt like home). We rode back into Vegas on a hot afternoon under a clear blue sky, only to be met with grey skies and rain as we touched down in London, sigh. We could easily make Southern Utah our home, if it were possible. So for now its back to work with winter approaching and only the photo's to remind us of the hot days with unbroken blue skies and red rock canyons (and of course my breakfasts at Denny's).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USA2014021.jpg (100.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg USA2014116.jpg (99.7 KB, 48 views)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2014, 05:51 AM   #2

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Just to rub it in a little I live in Pennsylvania and will be moving to the Las Vegas area in less than a month. I'm retiring and my wife took a school teaching job there. The scenery is spectacular.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 AM   #3

John, glad you and the Misses had a great time. Remember, Y'all always welcome over here.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Advanced Member

Happy to hear you had a great trip. Sorry I missed you! Maybe next time!

Las Vegas, Nv
VBA #02107
2003 Vulcan Nomad 1500
1980 Yamaha Seca 750 (past)
1969 Kawasaki 350 (past)
1967 Pannonia T8 250 (past)
1971 Honda 100 Twin (past)

Old 10-15-2014, 10:27 AM   #5
Mega-Contributor

Up on the Kaibab Plateau, where Jacob Lake is located - you run about a 50-50 chance of getting rained on in the summer, with greater odds in the afternoon. I got soaked riding through there from Salt Lake City to Flagstaff in July. 10 miles later, I was dry again.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-15-2014, 12:35 PM   #6

I'm headed down that way in a couple of weeks..............got tired of the rain here so I'm retiring and moving somewhere else. Southern Utah is the first stop. Using the toy hauler to find that "place". I'm thinking the southern Black Hills of South Dakota eventually.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #7

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable vacation in The Colonies...Utah's "Color Canyons" Area is just beautiful for sure..(I lived in Caliente~ Nev., Enterprise Utah, and St George Utah)..I hope you made the short ride though Snow Canyon..just north out of St George..

A few years ago I dropped of the Grand Canyon, North Rim into the Lee's Ferry Area...it was 70 degree's on top sunny and calm...5 miles later..at the bottom of the switch-back down grade off the rim..it was 114 degree's(f) with a 40mph cross wind from the south...all the way to Cortez Colorado...I stopped at every wide spot and bought a qt of gatorade..and drank it...it took me 6 -7 hours to cross there..and a couple gallons of Gatorade...and I never had to piss once..due to dehydrating temp's and wind's !

Old 10-15-2014, 09:32 PM   #8

Winters are EVIL in South Dakota...Summers are HOT in Color Canyons Country , I'v seen 127 degree's(f) in St George Utah,..

I sat myself up to have 80 degree summers in the area of Pie Town, New Mexico....and wet but mild winters here on the shaky side...(mighta-shoulda, went for the South Texas Gulf Coast for winters..?)

Old 10-16-2014, 09:18 PM   #9

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable trip. Monument Valley is on my wish list of places to ride.

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by phot View Post
We had a great time, flew into Vegas and picked up the rental bike from Eagle Rider before heading to St George in Utah. Took a detour on the road thru the Valley of Fire as suggested by a forum member, a beautiful ride and well worth it. Spent most of our time travelling in Southern Utah visiting the State Parks such as Zion, I never get tired of looking at the magnificent landscapes. Took a ride thru Monument Valley and to the North rim of the Grand Canyon staying at Jacobs Lake Inn. We attended a talk given by John Rich about the Navajo people and the weaving they produce, a great talk by a passionate man. Only one day of rain, rode thru a spectacular storm riding from Lee's Ferry on the Colorado to Jacobs Lake. In the shadow of the Vermilion Cliffs, riding across the plain on a straight road, strong winds virtually blowing the bike from one side of the road to the other, in torrential rain (felt like home). We rode back into Vegas on a hot afternoon under a clear blue sky, only to be met with grey skies and rain as we touched down in London, sigh. We could easily make Southern Utah our home, if it were possible. So for now its back to work with winter approaching and only the photo's to remind us of the hot days with unbroken blue skies and red rock canyons (and of course my breakfasts at Denny's).
Awesome place. We did the loop over there through the five National Parks , monument Valley and the Hoovr dam. Incredible scenery. Stayed at an incredible place too. Just outside of Moab called Red Cliffs Lodge. Love Utah.

Old 10-17-2014, 04:21 AM   #11

A little more

A few more photos of the trip, the road into Monument Valley, view into the Grand Canyon from the North Rim and on our from the North Rim down to the plain by the Vermilion Cliffs heading for Lee's Ferry. I wont be riding for a while now, yesterday I had my left hand operated on to cure the Carpal Tunnel problem, will be followed by an op on the right hand. Been suffering from problems with my hands for a few years now, hope the surgery solves it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg USA2014048.jpg (96.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg USA2014079.jpg (99.7 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg USA2014091.jpg (96.7 KB, 22 views)

Old 10-17-2014, 02:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post
Winters are EVIL in South Dakota...Summers are HOT in Color Canyons Country , I'v seen 127 degree's(f) in St George Utah,..

I sat myself up to have 80 degree summers in the area of Pie Town, New Mexico....and wet but mild winters here on the shaky side...(mighta-shoulda, went for the South Texas Gulf Coast for winters..?)
Born and raised in SD.......certainly have four seasons. I might just have to pass thru Pie Town, NM. on my way east.

Old 10-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #13

Great Photo's phot ....looks like you had near perfect weather...and a well designed "back rest" ...

Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Sam View Post

It's hard to beat the Santa Cruz area. 50-70 all year round if you can get a place near or on the water.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11