Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
He is just stating his opinion.
He said nothing against them.
I don't see the problem, this politically correct is getting way out of hand.
BS? Oh my...

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #17

Quote:
I agree. Maybe HD should have some dumb-ass with a lone star tattooed on his forehead in their marketing program, so everyone can see what a "Real American" looks like!

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-06-2013, 08:40 AM   #18

Ouch!! Lone star tattoo.

To me its smart marketing. I would have a local rider on the HD ads in EVERY country I was advertising in.

David Hollinger
2002 Beige 1500 "Hannah2"
VBA # 02195

Old 11-06-2013, 10:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidhollinger View Post
Ouch!! Lone star tattoo.

To me its smart marketing. I would have a local rider on the HD ads in EVERY country I was advertising in.
What makes you think the rider is not a local American? I know many people that look very similar to him that have left their homeland for a better life in America. Some are entrepreneurs that have learned to speak English quite well, are contributing citizens and have children that are serving in the U.S. Military. THEY are living the American dream and are truly more worthy to be called Americans then many who think they are American because they were born here. Just my humble opinion.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #20

Keep in mind that we have someone in our highest office who left his homeland for a better life... look what he's done for America.
The rider's appearance (to me) does not scream HEY I'M AMERICAN buy this bike! Sorry if that's the truth but as much as people like to say I dont see colors or races, I see people, its a lie. How many times have you heard a black guy so Oh that white dude, or a white guy so Oh that asian dude.
My point is if I were in advertising I would put a Pakistani rider on a bike I was selling in PAKISTAN. Why put a hard core American biker on an ad and make it look like its a pipe dream that they cant have. Put someone they relate to on it. As much as people dont like sterotypes, to pretend they dont exist is assanine.
Wanna sell me a Harley in Alabama? Put a typical white guy riding back country roads and stopping for a beer now and then....then sell it at an affordable price!! You're in MN,. if someone were selling you a snowmobile would you want to see a picture of one sitting in a garage in Alabama, never being used?

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-06-2013, 10:31 AM   #21

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
I agree. I don't think he was being hateful. If the rider were white and he suggested the the rider should have been Oriental, not an eye brow would have raised Leave him be.

"PC" sucks cat piss.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM   #22

"Keep in mind that we have someone in our highest office who left his homeland for a better life... look what he's done for America."

And what homeland might that be?
VBA Member #1356
jandreu@hawaiiantel.net

Old 11-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Keep in mind that we have someone in our highest office who left his homeland for a better life... look what he's done for America.
The rider's appearance (to me) does not scream HEY I'M AMERICAN buy this bike! Sorry if that's the truth but as much as people like to say I dont see colors or races, I see people, its a lie. How many times have you heard a black guy so Oh that white dude, or a white guy so Oh that asian dude.
My point is if I were in advertising I would put a Pakistani rider on a bike I was selling in PAKISTAN. Why put a hard core American biker on an ad and make it look like its a pipe dream that they cant have. Put someone they relate to on it. As much as people dont like sterotypes, to pretend they dont exist is assanine.
Wanna sell me a Harley in Alabama? Put a typical white guy riding back country roads and stopping for a beer now and then....then sell it at an affordable price!! You're in MN,. if someone were selling you a snowmobile would you want to see a picture of one sitting in a garage in Alabama, never being used?
The truth is I did not notice that the rider was Asian, apparently racism is alive and well in the "south".

I am sure that you know more about marketing then HD. After all, they by no means manufacture the best motorcycles but due to their marketing they outsell all other motorcycle brands in the U.S.

I frequent 2 other forums and have read hundreds of posts about these new HD models and only on this forum have I read something pertaining to the heritage of the rider. Maybe that says more about some of the people here then it does about Harley's marketing.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2022 Indian Roadmaster

Last edited by GIBBY; 11-06-2013 at 11:22 AM.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:53 AM   #24
Advanced Member

That fin style reminds me of somethin...can't quite put my finger on it....

Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #25

I didnt notice either till Tynker pointed it out...had to go look again. And yes, racism is alive and well in the south and north and east and even in MN. No one can be so blind to think its not still around. I know you live in Utopia Gibby but here in the real world it still out there. But why is it racism to point out that the rider is asian? The whole country is so damn sensitive. I dont get offended by the word redneck, and I make as many Alabama jokes as anyone, because I have a sense of humor and letting people piss you off isnt worth it. You started the thread and we didnt mean to hijack it into a political pissing match but when you post thinks, people can see them and interpret in whatever way they see fit as Tynker did. I personally dont like the little Harleys but I have no issue with you or anyone else on the forum for liking them or for asking why theres an asian on them. I hate loud pipes too but thats TC's thing but I cant hate the guys who LOVE the damn things. I guess Im saying Im sorry if you got offended for me agreeing with Tynker but to each his own.

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 11-06-2013, 01:45 PM   #26

Location: 6th Floor up at the The Nervous Hospital up in East Central State, NC
Quote:
I didnt notice either till Tynker pointed it out...had to go look again. And yes, racism is alive and well in the south and north and east and even in MN. No one can be so blind to think its not still around. I know you live in Utopia Gibby but here in the real world it still out there. But why is it racism to point out that the rider is asian? The whole country is so damn sensitive. I dont get offended by the word redneck, and I make as many Alabama jokes as anyone, because I have a sense of humor and letting people piss you off isnt worth it. You started the thread and we didnt mean to hijack it into a political pissing match but when you post thinks, people can see them and interpret in whatever way they see fit as Tynker did. I personally dont like the little Harleys but I have no issue with you or anyone else on the forum for liking them or for asking why theres an asian on them. I hate loud pipes too but thats TC's thing but I cant hate the guys who LOVE the damn things. I guess Im saying Im sorry if you got offended for me agreeing with Tynker but to each his own.
From your signature photo and being from central Alabama I thought you were white and I was wondering why a black guy was on a Nomad.

Kinda hard to tell with the shadows.

??-Mar.2,2012 "Rocky" My Beloved Dog RIP

Mike Tripp
VBA#767
'96 800 Vulcan Classic
06 1600 Nomad
07 1600 Nomad

"The shoes you buy at the Salvation Army is already been broke in"- Aunt Kawhead

Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #27

LOL!!! I am so lost now I dont know what I am. I would say I am white but that would sound supremist. If I say I am black and I am racist. I am too tall to be Asian...wait thats racist too. Dammit!!! I am doing this wrong arent I?

David Hollinger
VBA # 02195

Old 11-06-2013, 02:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynker View Post
It's interesting that they show an Oriental, in the picture !! Nothing against them, but they are advertising an American bike, and should be a different rider.
Nowhere to be found in this post is a remark about the motorcycles that are featured in the link that I attached, only a racist remark about someone that is not white sitting on the bike. I do not live in Utopia nor do I wish to, but to make a racist remark about a motorcycle advertisement and not even mention the motorcycle is obviously the opinion of a very narrow minded individual. And yes, we do have racism in MN , but that does not mean I have to turn a blind I to it when it is glaringly posted in a thread that I started. I am not the sensitive type and certainly do not mind jokes about the Irish ( my heritage, so I must not be an American ) and I agree that everyone is too damn sensitive, but when I read that post it just struck a nerve because there is no mention of the bikes.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2022 Indian Roadmaster

Last edited by GIBBY; 11-06-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:17 PM   #29
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIBBY View Post
Nowhere to be found in this post is a remark about the motorcycles that are featured in the link that I attached, only a racist remark about someone that is not white sitting on the bike. I do not live in Utopia nor do I wish to, but to make a racist remark about a motorcycle advertisement and not even mention the motorcycle is obviously the opinion of a very narrow minded individual. I am not the sensitive type and certainly do not mind jokes about the Irish ( my heritage, so I must not be an American ) and I agree that everyone is too damn sensitive, but when I read that post it just struck a nerve because there is no mention of the bikes.
That's a nice bike that the Asian guy is sitting on. How's that, Mike? Now calm down and go have a drink.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-06-2013, 02:27 PM   #30

The first person that has posted the correct term. Oriental is a term used by people in their 80's to describe the Asian race. It is politically correct but old. Asian is the correct term.

My wife is Asian and I don't find anything in the post offensive. I don't think that she would either. I do get a chuckle out of everyone debating it.

2010 Nomad 1700
Metallic Diablo Black/Metallic Titanium