Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #16

Knee osteoarthritis

My wife (55) just had a knee replacement (Jan 9th) and it has been quite an experience for both of us. She is anxious to get back on the bike as a passenger but probably will be a couple more months before she will be spry enough and not overly concerned about collateral issues. She went through all the shots and treatments but when it became too painful to sit on the back of the bike for extended periods, as well as a few other considerations, she went for it. Technology has advanced some recently so we're hoping the replacement (actually mostly new surfaces) will be good for 25 years or more years whereas just a few years ago the life of the replacement was typically given as about 15 to 20 years. Waiting no longer made sense. She'll eventually have the other one replaced as well. Not sure if I could provide much more useful additional info but send a me PM about it if you want.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 AM   #17

Knee osteoarthritis

My pal had both knees replaced a couple of years ago because of arthritis, He says its much better now with the artificial knees. There is a couple months at least before your back to your normal routine.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 03-06-2008, 07:40 AM   #18

Knee osteoarthritis

All jokes aside, you will know when it is time to have surgery. You mind will just state one day we can't take this anymore. Then the bad part comes when the surgery is scheduled you will have to quit taking all asprin/pain medican for the 2 weeks before the surgery. Concerns about bleeding. Then you will say I wish I had done this sooner. I know I don't paint a pretty picture. I am looking at having the nerves in my back cauterized so I don't have to take so much medican.

Old 03-06-2008, 10:05 AM   #19

Knee osteoarthritis

As the old saying goes "IF I KNEW I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG, I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF" I didn't know there was so many of us on this site.
The exercise helps but I still get a twinge once in a while. Got some good info. from "WebMD" site.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:22 AM   #20
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to donoller
Knee osteoarthritis

i just go a shot in my right knee two weeks ago .it is some better, but have to go back the 20 th of the month . hang in there you will be ok i take a pill mechamen for it seems to help.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-07-2008, 02:45 PM   #21
Advanced Member

Knee osteoarthritis

i just had shots in right knee two weeks ago ,seems to be a lot better

Old 03-07-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Knee osteoarthritis

i just had shots in right knee two weeks ago ,seems to be a lot better

Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #23
Advanced Member

Knee osteoarthritis

i must have had a brain fart sent those two times.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #24

Knee osteoarthritis

Rabbit i hope you get better soon and the rest of you guys too!

Old 03-07-2008, 08:24 PM   #25

Knee osteoarthritis

Quote:
As the old saying goes "IF I KNEW I WAS GOING TO LIVE THIS LONG, I WOULD HAVE TAKEN BETTER CARE OF MYSELF" I didn't know there was so many of us on this site.
The exercise helps but I still get a twinge once in a while. Got some good info. from "WebMD" site.
YEP you can say that again,, WISH I took better care of myself.. ::),, Il be getting a second round of shot later this year,, but for now not too bad,, JUST being carefull help and build up the knee.. I also use a knee brace from Wal Mart.. Velcrows on,has steel hindges on the side,helps alittle with the twisting and the gotchas..The Balance of the Nomad to me was No problem,,,, and the Web Med site has great info.....say if I do office work I may be able to go back to work in 30 day,If I go back in the field I will be out 3 months,,,3 months of TV Man I would go nuts LOL.......a few things I never thought I would say. 1: after surgury LISTEN to your wife!(if she like you )
2: Listen to the Doc
SUCKs going back when you dont ,, Good Luck,,,,,,Rich

Old 03-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #26

Knee osteoarthritis

Quote:
[quote:88zc4ynn]I had a significant tear in my meniscus of my left knee. I had a menisectomy done last May. I was up and walking with a limp later that day. I started bending it some and tightened up my thigh muscle while flexing my foot back and forth while lying on the bed. The doc said he took out about 2/3 of the cartilage on that side of my knee. It catches every now and then when I stand up but it's doing well. I haven't played tennis on it since I had the surgery due to the unknown "catch". I ride the Nomad with no troubles.
with my Bad right knee and your bad left knee if we walk side by side would your left sid limp offset my right side limp and we would NOT LIMP??? LOL.....Ride Safe,,,,,,Rich[/quote:88zc4ynn]

Right side limp offset your left side limp...LOL. I'll walk behind you guys and let you know if it works.

BTW...radco just got to ask...how tall are you? In your pic you look like you are really towering above that nomad.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 03-08-2008, 05:30 PM   #27

Knee osteoarthritis

Anybody else notice how the little pop up adds are always subject related? For instance the pop up add for this thread is a minimally invasive knee ortho surgery.
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 03-08-2008, 08:45 PM   #28

Knee osteoarthritis

UW2, They may have just started doing that. A thread a couple days ago was about speedometer errors but was titled "Speedo" and ads for the swim suits by that name popped up. Slinky tight men's suits I might add.

Old 03-08-2008, 10:29 PM   #29

Knee osteoarthritis

Under the "Speado-Healer" thread it was advertising for faith healers. Too funny.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 03-12-2008, 08:20 AM   #30

Knee osteoarthritis

Hi guys, New guy here in SC. This was interesting to me as I underwentv complete knee replacement on 1-9-07. Was up walking the next day with a walker, with a cane in 2 weeks, without anything in about 4 weeks. Then I fell on a concrete floor right on the knee, and suffered all of last year because all x-rays showed the knee was fine. What it didn't show was a piece of the knee cap broken off with the ligament attached that runs up the front of the thigh. So, surgery again in November. All is well now. Able to ride. I still get tired after standing too long or walking too far, but this will pass. By the way, I am 69 years old, ride a 1999 Nomad Classic 1500 and a 2005 Honda Sabre 1100. Don't worry about the surgery. At worst the pain will be gone and that's a big plus.