Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-05-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Knee osteoarthritis

???I have just been diognosed with right knee osteoarthritis. Doctor shot me up with corticostone whick helped 98%. What I would like to know is if anyone on this web has osteoarthritis and if it restricted there riding. The doctor said I have 1000 miles left on my knee before I may need knee replacement not looking foreward to an opperation. I will be starting stair stepping and walking excercise tomorrow. Any other excersise recommended. I will be leaving the Adirondacks for Rolling Thunder 08 and don't want to get stranded in DC.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Knee osteoarthritis

I get shots in both shoulders and there is no good time to have surgery. I can't put it off much longer. The shots don't work as long as they use to.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 03-05-2008, 12:53 PM   #3

Knee osteoarthritis

You should be on a low or no inpact excersise routine. I take Osteo Bi-Flex with MSM and Joint Shield. Two Aleve every morning with Tylenol the rest of the day. I also take organic apple cider vinger with locally grown honey. Two tea spoons of viniger and 2 tea spoons of honey in 8 ounces of water every morning. I have the osteoarthritis in both knees, lower back, shoulders, will just about everywhere. Have had the left hip replaced and the right one is one the way out. Shots last me 3 to 4 months depending on how active I am. Riding the bike does not hurt me anywhere but my shoulders. Riding in a car more than 100 miles at one time is out! I am so sorry you developed this. I wish you all the best.

Jim

Old 03-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #4

Knee osteoarthritis

I've got frozen toe joints and osteo in the knees, hips and lower back. Before a ride I stretch as much as possible , take Tylenol and this makes me good for about 200 miles a day. I try to ride to work everyday as much as possible. This seems to keep everything loosened up for riding. If I skip several weeks without even a short ride its very painful to get back on the bike and loosen up again.
GOOD LUCK on your treatments.

BEAR!

Old 03-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #5

Knee osteoarthritis

Ain't it a b*tch getting older! I guess it's better than the alternative. I have some of the problem, but not to the degree that you all have. I use glucosomine and condroiten plus ibuprophin. Seems to help for my knees. Only bothers me when I sit for a long time.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
Top Contributor

Knee osteoarthritis

Don't worry rabbit. We'll send some hot nurses from Dan's hospital to take good care of you.
VBA #0002
VBA VP-Global
B.A.C.A. Hoss
2005 "StrongBear" Black/Silver

Todd and BD

Old 03-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #7
Top Contributor

Knee osteoarthritis

Quote:
You should be on a low or no inpact excersise routine. I take Osteo Bi-Flex with MSM and Joint Shield. Two Aleve every morning with Tylenol the rest of the day. I also take organic apple cider vinger with locally grown honey. Two tea spoons of viniger and 2 tea spoons of honey in 8 ounces of water every morning. I have the osteoarthritis in both knees, lower back, shoulders, will just about everywhere. Have had the left hip replaced and the right one is one the way out. Shots last me 3 to 4 months depending on how active I am. Riding the bike does not hurt me anywhere but my shoulders. Riding in a car more than 100 miles at one time is out! I am so sorry you developed this. I wish you all the best.

Jim
After downing all of that in the morning its almost time for bed without one of Dan's nurses I take 2 of milwaukees best before I go to bed :)
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM   #8

Knee osteoarthritis

Dang, I just had my 5th cardiac rehab session today. You guys make me feel fortunate.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:49 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Knee osteoarthritis

Quote:
I get shots in both shoulders and there is no good time to have surgery. I can't put it off much longer. The shots don't work as long as they use to.
fish I used to get the shots in my shoulder, got tired of hurting and took it farther, turns out I had a torn rotary cuff, Now your NOT going to want to hear this but IT HURT LIKE HELL I only missed 2 weeks of work but the only advice I can give you is start moving your arm as soon as you can. I had full rotation in 2 weeks and most peeps have never taken it out of sling.
VBA #00077

Old 03-05-2008, 06:19 PM   #10

Knee osteoarthritis

I have it in the right knee from years of kicking on a Harley with a bad gear in the starter. It wouldn't always catch, allowing my leg snap straight. The pain is amazing and will put you down on the ground.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:30 PM   #11

Knee osteoarthritis

WOW Im not alone,, Had it done got the knee shot up w. cort, helpped alittle,, I also have a Torn Madiscus,,(I know spelled wrong :)) so Im rubbing bone on bone, like the rest its just a Matter of time before the NEW Knee arrives,, Those I talked to said it was worth it!!! I just hate to get cut open LOL...3 month lay up.. so around Oct time for me,,as riding season ends,and OT season hasnt started,,,,, LOOK up Knees on the Net TONs of info,,,,As far as riding NO PROBLEM yet!!! and I will do my best to KEEP it that way............Rich

Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 PM   #12

Knee osteoarthritis

Thanks guys. I guess there is a little hope. If I have the OP I will have to wait until after trout season or wait until Oct or Nov.
but then I will miss hunting season, wait longer and I will miss snowmobile season, wait a little longer and I will miss ATV season. DAMN whats a busy 67yr old to do.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:05 PM   #13

Knee osteoarthritis

I had a significant tear in my meniscus of my left knee. I had a menisectomy done last May. I was up and walking with a limp later that day. I started bending it some and tightened up my thigh muscle while flexing my foot back and forth while lying on the bed. The doc said he took out about 2/3 of the cartilage on that side of my knee. It catches every now and then when I stand up but it's doing well. I haven't played tennis on it since I had the surgery due to the unknown "catch". I ride the Nomad with no troubles.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 03-05-2008, 09:26 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Idaho
Knee osteoarthritis

Every time I read things like this and especially after recovering from my bout with transient osteoporosis this winter I give thanks that I am healthy. My sympathies go out to all of you. I always say that the only thing I'm alergic to is pain. Pain sux. Get lots of happy pills to help.
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 03-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #15

Knee osteoarthritis

Quote:
I had a significant tear in my meniscus of my left knee. I had a menisectomy done last May. I was up and walking with a limp later that day. I started bending it some and tightened up my thigh muscle while flexing my foot back and forth while lying on the bed. The doc said he took out about 2/3 of the cartilage on that side of my knee. It catches every now and then when I stand up but it's doing well. I haven't played tennis on it since I had the surgery due to the unknown "catch". I ride the Nomad with no troubles.
with my Bad right knee and your bad left knee if we walk side by side would your left sid limp offset my right side limp and we would NOT LIMP??? LOL.....Ride Safe,,,,,,Rich