In Association with VBA Web : History | Leadership | Memorial | Events | Merchandise
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #1

Thinking of going to the Dark Side

I know there is a lot of posts concerning this subject but I need to know 2 things What make and tire size do I need for my 2009 Voyager, I have seen some post but all seem to be for a Nomad. I need to know the pros and cons for doing this. I have a few friends that have gone to the dark side with good results. I am just so tired of spending money every year for new tires I average about 10 to 14,000 miles every year. Please all input will be helpful.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2017, 01:25 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rustic Dragon View Post
I know there is a lot of posts concerning this subject but I need to know 2 things What make and tire size do I need for my 2009 Voyager, I have seen some post but all seem to be for a Nomad. I need to know the pros and cons for doing this. I have a few friends that have gone to the dark side with good results. I am just so tired of spending money every year for new tires I average about 10 to 14,000 miles every year. Please all input will be helpful.
The biggest thing I noticed was I had to counter steer more to get my skoot to lay down for the turns and at low speeds, uneven ground would influence my balance and move me off a straight line.

But all that was a learning curve.

My fuel milage dropped a couple of mpg when I first mounted the tire. But then jumped up to a mile or two above my original milage after the tire was run for a while.

The ride was noticeable smoother. Like the road reflectors are not felt any more. And I run the tire at it's maximum pressure, 51 psi.

I am running a Yokohama Avid Ascend LRR. 205-60-16.

I mounted it with 12,200 miles on the clock, and right now I am right at 30,000. The tread depth looks like it was new.

I think the tire was about $120.00

I am afraid it may age out before it wears out.

http://darkside.nwff.info/?p=tires

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:03 AM   #3

I'm using a Yokohama, Avid Envigor, 205/60/16 on my 2012 Voyager. Has only been on a couple months now, but I have no issues with the uneven ground wiggle many talk about, but this is my 2nd time darkside on this bike. I started out at 39lbs, then lowered it to 35lbs that I'm running now. My last ct was a OSHTU?, that I got 23k miles on before it reached the wear bars and this Yoko is much better than that one in terms of stability on uneven ground.