Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-30-2008, 07:59 PM   #1

Heated Apparel - Pro's & Con's

I ride year around in Northern CA.

This year I'm thinking about getting heated clothing; pants, gloves, and jacket liner - maybe socks.

I would appreciate comments about your experience with these products.

What do you think the pro's and con's of such gear are, other than they are expensive :)

Any specific mfg'r you'd recommend?

Tks,
ValDez

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #2

I ride as long as I can into the season here, being stopped only by snow on the roads and the salt trucks. I don't use heated clothing at all and I have been riding in 25 degree weather. If you dress in layers,and preferably use snowmobile clothing, seal out all cold air leaks, you can stay out a surprisingly long time. Im riding home from work in a couple hours and it is in the low 30's here right now. Keeping your neck covered and a full face helmet are also important points to keep. Im not sure if you would want to do 500-600 mile rides in a day, but a couple hours at least shouldn't be a problem at all.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #3

Tourmaster makes some good heated gear. My Ann has used her heated chaps from time to time because of her nerve disorder. They've saved her a few times from a very painful weekend, and they weren't even up all the way.

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 PM   #4

Valdez,

Glad you posetd this. I would be interested as well.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 10-30-2008, 10:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranis
Tourmaster makes some good heated gear. My Ann has used her heated chaps from time to time because of her nerve disorder. They've saved her a few times from a very painful weekend, and they weren't even up all the way.
Thank you for your informative post..., and my very best to Ann - hope this fines you well...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 PM   #6

Hey Ring,

You're right - lay'er'n up works, but I'm just runn'n outta ideas for what I want for Christmas. I mean with my family, it's get a request in or end up with another freak'n tie.... What's your wish?

Thanks man - winter well....

VD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringadingh
I ride as long as I can into the season here, being stopped only by snow on the roads and the salt trucks. I don't use heated clothing at all and I have been riding in 25 degree weather. If you dress in layers,and preferably use snowmobile clothing, seal out all cold air leaks, you can stay out a surprisingly long time. Im riding home from work in a couple hours and it is in the low 30's here right now. Keeping your neck covered and a full face helmet are also important points to keep. Im not sure if you would want to do 500-600 mile rides in a day, but a couple hours at least shouldn't be a problem at all.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Advanced Member

Electric vest / First Gear Kiliminjaro jacket / First Gear overpants / First Gear Dakota goloves - ride until -10 C or so ( that's 14 F) or until the snow gets too deep for the KLR. Around 0 C don't turn the vest on as it's too hot! Someone gave me a new Gerbing vest last week and it has a heated collar - Woo hoo!!!!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 12:03 PM   #8

I have a friend that rides with heated grips and a heated jacket. He says it will add at least a month of additional riding time to his season.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:04 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez (lone Juan)
Hey Ring,

You're right - lay'er'n up works, but I'm just runn'n outta ideas for what I want for Christmas. I mean with my family, it's get a request in or end up with another freak'n tie.... What's your wish?

Thanks man - winter well....

VD

My GrandPa always said it was better to GIVE than to receive.....

Old 10-31-2008, 04:56 PM   #10
Advanced Member

I bought warmgear by far the best warranty out there. Got all of it socks pants gloves and a coat. Also bought a harley themastat two switches one for the top and one for the bottom. All said and done I think it was around $600.00 I bought all of it two years ago and the heating elements went out in the coat had a new one shipped to me in about two days no charge. Lifetime warranty on all the heating elements.

http://www.cozywinters.com/

Old 10-31-2008, 04:57 PM   #11

Rich,

He's right too! Now, what cha got for me?

Old 10-31-2008, 07:11 PM   #12

I have used widder heated gloves for about 3 years..I can not ride when it gets below 50 because I have Raynauds and my hands get cold very easy. I purchased a vest to go with this and I really like the vest with the collar on it, The only thing I would recommend is using a temp. controller with the vest or you will be turning it off and on all the time. :)
VBA #952

Old 11-01-2008, 06:53 AM   #13

I'm with Ringadingh; dress in warm, windproof layers, and you don't need heated clothing, with cumbersome cords to hookup / unhook each time.
I ride all winter here; it doesn't stay below the teens here for long (farenheight), so, like he said, cover ALL areas or the skin, use ski/snowmobile clothing, and, you should be fine!
If it gets any colder than that, the 'Nad won't get up to decent operating temp, anyway, unless you cover part of the radiator.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez (lone Juan)
Rich,

He's right too! Now, what cha got for me?
I got something special for you. A self priming siphion, just in case you ever run out of gas on a lonely hiway.

Old 11-01-2008, 07:17 PM   #15

Thanks Dragon - thinking about it more and what you and Ring said, a few of us just rode for a weekend in temps from 40 down to 22 degrees a few weeks ago without heaters, and all of us were fine, (we were layered right).

However, I wonder if it wouldn't be nicer to not have to wear so many layers by having heated clothes that I presume would not be as bulky?

The reality of it all is I don't see myself on necessarily long rides in the dead of winter, but more about being as comfortable as possible for two to three hours in the colder temps.... tks